MidSize SUV shopping

RobW

I am looking for a midsize SUV under 20k. There are a few things that are important, such as AWD,Hitch (not a deal breaker), lower milage, certified used and a clean carfax.
  • 2013 Toyota Highlander
  • 2015 Subaru outback
  • 2015 Toyota Venza
  • 2014 Honda Pilot
  • 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Does anyone have horror stories with any of these? anyone have any particular love stories? is there another vehicle that i may be overlooking? TIA

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have a 2015 Highlander... not the same model but I think it can be said with pretty much any Toyota.
Good appliance and does what its supposed to do. Would buy another Toyota if and when our Highlander bites the dust.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I am looking for a midsize SUV under 20k. There are a few things that are important, such as AWD,Hitch (not a deal breaker), lower milage, certified used and a clean carfax.
  • 2013 Toyota Highlander
  • 2015 Subaru outback
  • 2015 Toyota Venza
  • 2014 Honda Pilot
  • 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Does anyone have horror stories with any of these? anyone have any particular love stories? is there another vehicle that i may be overlooking? TIA

IDK if you can tow with a crosstrek I have an impreza and its a no tow vehicle knowing subaru I wouldn't be surprised if the crosstrek is the same. BTW I wouldn't buy a Crosstrek used you could get them near your limit pending trim and get better financing rates on a new car vs preowned. I got my 17 impreza for 800 under sticker which was like 16500 or something.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I test drove a crosstrek a few years ago... hated it. stupid CVT. I don't think I'd call that a mid sized SUV anyway. went with diesel jetta wagon instead. that didn't end well.
I'd get Honda over Toyota any day.
that's all I got for ya.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I test drove a crosstrek a few years ago... hated it. stupid CVT. I don't think I'd call that a mid sized SUV anyway. went with diesel jetta wagon instead. that didn't end well.
I'd got Honda over Toyota any day.
that's all I got for ya.
Used to be a Honda guy

2000 Acura Integra
2004 Acura TL
2011 Honda Oddy
2012 Acura TL

It prolly has to do with my age but I prefer Toyota now.
Quieter and softer.

BPaze

All are great vehicles I own a Subaru and my whole family owns and loves Subaru's and just bought a new 2018 Highlander. I hate Toyota's but damn they just run forever with minimal issues so they are worth every penny. You will be in good shape with most I would look at space needed since they are all very different size vehicles.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Used to be a Honda guy

2000 Acura Integra
2004 Acura TL
2011 Honda Oddy
2012 Acura TL

It prolly has to do with my age but I prefer Toyota now.
Quieter and softer.
Maybe it was the dealer, right @MissJR ? Morristown Toyota is THE WORST.

My first car was a VW Fox. Since then, between wife and me, numerous VW's and Honda's (including 1 Acura), one shitty experience w/Toyota, and a Mini.

BPaze

Hope its not white..... :oops:
yeah yeah yeah… different grill.... I know I know
Don't worry it is Grey LOL plus I never ever get to drive it. It is a boring drive, nice but boring, which honestly consider it is the baby carrier is a good thing. I actually like it a lot more than I was expecting.

A coworker of mine got the new Honda Pilot and I hated it, feel like I don't fit in the front seat it was so cramped. Not sure if the old ones are similar, but I am also a little wider in the shoulders than most.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
All are great vehicles I own a Subaru and my whole family owns and loves Subaru's and just bought a new 2018 Highlander. I hate Toyota's but damn they just run forever with minimal issues so they are worth every penny. You will be in good shape with most I would look at space needed since they are all very different size vehicles.

Just don't look at toyota frames lol the motors out live their shit ability to avoid rust only jeep, cry, dodge... fiat rust faster and thats because they are sold new with rust.

I remember you were talking about getting the assent, if my wife can keep her car for the long run we shouldn't buy another car for 12 more years.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Maybe it was the dealer, right @MissJR ? Morristown Toyota is THE WORST.
Don't mean to offend anyone... but haven't experienced a "good" dealer in NJ
Yes, I have not been to all but been to number of them earlier this year when buying 2 cars so yes it is only limited to my experience

But anyways, the impression I got from my limited experience was that NJ dealers actually believe some of their BS
Where as NY dealers, they know they are BSing. Two different things when you are negotiating with them.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Don't worry it is Grey LOL plus I never ever get to drive it. It is a boring drive, nice but boring, which honestly consider it is the baby carrier is a good thing. I actually like it a lot more than I was expecting.

A coworker of mine got the new Honda Pilot and I hated it, feel like I don't fit in the front seat it was so cramped. Not sure if the old ones are similar, but I am also a little wider in the shoulders than most.
Its a glorified mini van... so that takes care of boring
But yeah... having been a Honda guy for number of years, I was ready to hate it but it was supposed to be the wife's car so didn't really care as long as it was safe and reliable.
It does what it supposed to do and actually has good acceleration for what it is. I like it now.

Oops! I am turning this into a OOS thread! Sorry.... no more from me!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
We just picked up a new Subaru Ascent - it’s fantastic. My wife is the primary driver and I want one for myself now. Maybe too large for what you’re considering but the gas mileage is better than what I drive.

I drive a 2012 Forester and had one issue, I got caught up in the oil consumption issues they were having. But I got a new short block out of it for free so I’ll take it. Other than that I change the brake pads, rotors and oil myself and have no issues.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
concerning the dealer:

there are better dealers... people who do actually listen. maybe some people go in there not knowing a damn thing about what they want and need to be sold on a car. i walked in to morristown toyota basically saying I want car A. they tried selling me B, C, D, etc with every payment option under the sun EXCEPT for the one I told them I was using. then they stalked me and wouldn't stop calling/emailing despite me telling them i went elsewhere and bought a car already.

the dealer i went with, listened to me and got me my car. end story.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
concerning the dealer:

there are better dealers... people who do actually listen. maybe some people go in there not knowing a damn thing about what they want and need to be sold on a car. i walked in to morristown toyota basically saying I want car A. they tried selling me B, C, D, etc with every payment option under the sun EXCEPT for the one I told them I was using. then they stalked me and wouldn't stop calling/emailing despite me telling them i went elsewhere and bought a car already.

the dealer i went with, listened to me and got me my car. end story.

Sounds like subaru of mo town with me, my sales man wouldn't give me back my drivers license(post test drive) till I ran my credit with them. The thing was I asked to test drive a car only if they had a manual(I don't know how to drive autos don't last long for me) pulls up with a cvt. I did accidentally Neutral bomb it going into D lol.

Last edited:

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds like subaru of mo town with me, I sales man wouldn't give me back my drivers license(post test drive) till I ran my credit with them. The thing was I asked to test drive a car only if they had a manual(I don't know how to drive autos don't last long for me) pulls up with a cvt. I did accidentally Neutral bomb it going into D lol.
they held my car hostage! i wanted to get a trade in value quote so i gave them the keys to check out the mustang. when they were done and i was fed up, i asked for my keys back... like 4 times! WTF is that?! like shitty car salesmen tactics? "well, they can't leave because i have their XYZ! so they have to buy something!"

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
they held my car hostage! i wanted to get a trade in value quote so i gave them the keys to check out the mustang. when they were done and i was fed up, i asked for my keys back... like 4 times! WTF is that?! like shitty car salesmen tactics? "well, they can't leave because i have their XYZ! so they have to buy something!"

I have a buddy who works in the shop there and I use to buy all my parts from there after that I just get my stuff from paul miller. Between whole body harnesses body parts/panels and 3 transmissions I've most likely spent around 20k there in parts. How weak are people to give in to stupid sales tactics.

Top Bottom