IGVENTURE

All-Star break.

The 4th of July is like the winter holidays, time to take off from work and go play. @rottin told me several years ago his company shuts down for the week of the 4th and gives everyone time off. This is a good thing, we need these rituals. The year is halfway over, it's time for a break. It's only fitting we acknowledge the passing of time by taking the time to be with others doing what we enjoy.

20180704_110412.jpg

I began my holiday on the 4th by doing what I always do, helping set up for the road race in town. My job is to hang the start banner for the 1 mile fun run and then the start for the 4 miler across Springfield ave. The cops hold up traffic for me and Evan while we frantically hoist this thing between two telephone poles.

Later that night we went to a local party and watched fireworks from Nomahegan Park.

Thursday I caught a ride with Kirt up to Kingdom VT. We met up with Utah and did close to 3hrs. Utah led us out on the best stuff on half the mtn and the next day we rode with the team, covering the stuff we didn't ride the previous day. In the afternoon we went to Burke and did lift served downhill runs, which scared the shit out of me while I had a huge grin on my face. That was incredible, thank God for my fs Tallboy, I had a blast.

The best run of the day was had at the Tiki Bar.
20180705_174724.jpg

The weather was so beautiful Saturday morning an I was in awe of the splendor of Burke mountain across the way, I ended up doing an impromptu yoga session.

20180708_114136.jpg

Saturday we all rode a new trail over near Moose Alley. It's really not that close to Moose Alley, we had to drive there, but everyone describes it as The New Trail Near Moose Alley...or TNTNMA.

That was another unique trail that you only find at Kingdom. 10 minutes of down hill with hardly any pedaling and as much launching as you are willing to air out. So much labor goes into building a trail like this and they do it right, mtbers come from great distances to ride these trails.

Afterwards we drive to the tiki bar and the group split, with some of us heading up to Moose Alley, which is another must ride KT. After hitting up a few more trails near Moose, we met up with the rest of the team and had lunch. Kirt and I said our goodbyes to everyone, packed out gear and headed home. This trip never gets old because the team keeps it awesome every year, I've done this trip 6yrs in a row and am already looking forward to 7.

But wait, there's more. I got home Saturday night and still had Sunday to play. Evan and I headed to RV for our first paddle of the season. The water was incredible, I jumped in 2x, the temp was as warm as that swim hole behind the ice cream shoppe at KT, perfect.
20180709_082948.jpg

KVSP Race

As I lay in bed on Sunday morning and listened to the rain I was kinda hoping the race would be cancelled but I wanted one more race before I call the H2H series done, since I'm going to be on vacation for Peter Pounder, rain or shine, I race today.

Driving up I hit steady showers, however when I got within 5 miles of KVSP, the rain had stopped. I parked next to Jeremy, got dressed, grabbed my number and headed out for a warm up with him. We rode the 1st half of the course, which was more tricky due to slimy wet rocks and roots, the start was and uphill into this mess.

After we warmed up we chatted with fellow racers and then headed over to staging. Brian did call ups, which meant I was in the front row, which turned out to be very advantageous. At the start I was content to let Dave Kahl lead out along the field edge as we headed ccw into the uphill, rocky wet single track. I stayed with Dave as we negotiated our way through the tech, someone behind me bobbled and forced everyone off their bike, which allowed me and Dave to gap the field. We stayed together for almost half way through the lap when I came around him, wanting to keep the hammer down.

I was feeling good, passing some of the 15+ field and having put a gap on Kahl. Right after the long climb on the back of the course Joe Johnson came around me, which I thought would be inevitable. I tried to stay on his wheel but he dropped me before the switch back descent.

Shortly after the start of lap 2, Victor came around me and then Dave followed. The last couple of races I was passing them, now they are passing me, but that's racing, you don't podium without your best stuff...unless your Nick Lando.

When Victor went around me he said I was bouncing around like a ping pong ball on my rigid bike. I was running higher tire pressure despite wet rocks, so I wouldn't flat on the jagged shale that kill tires at this place. By lap 2 I began to get a bit tired and sloppy. At this point my goal was to finish the race without hurting myself. After 17 years of racing I've learned to not push what you ain't got. By July I usually run out of gas after racing for the last 4 months. I can remember taking some good flyers at this place and cutting up my arms, another time in July about 12 years ago I went otb in a crit race and broke my scapula and face.

For the last lap I sat in until Eric from team Somerset came around me before the long climb on the back, I had ridden with Eric on the Thursday night ride at CR last week. This woke me up and made me want to battle. As we approached the climb he began to fade and hopped off his bike to walk the climb, I pedelled another 15 feet and ran up, knowing he was chasing. At the top I remounted and drilled it with what I had left. Knowing he was on gears, I did not want to get caught in a field sprint with him, so I attacked the descent which gave me the gap I needed to pedal the flat section comfortably to the finish line in 4th place.

Before the race Ken Welch told me I should race Nationals next week in West Virginia, based on the season I've been having. I told him I am usually shot by July, but to be honest I was hoping that I was wrong about this. After the race my doubts were removed and my downward slide was confirmed and I'm ok with that. I've had a good run, I am a contender for the cat 1 45+ series winner and I did way better then I anticipated going into this race season. I'm looking forward to fun rides and kayaking for the rest of the summer. I will probably do the Bearscat 50 as a team and will show up at Cathedral as a team looking to crush that single track.
Whatchoo gonna do brother??!!!!
20180715_183507.jpg

Awesome season Iggy- Congrats!
It's been so much fun following your escapades.
You have a dangerous combination of good conditioning and strong race smarts-
hope it's enough for the series win!

Enjoy your vacay, you've earned it.

what was different fitness wise for you this year over last year? has it just compounded over the 50 years you've been racing to get to this point?

what was different fitness wise for you this year over last year? has it just compounded over the 50 years you've been racing to get to this point?

Yeah, pretty much, it took me awhile to learn how to win races.
Also Mike isn't 45, he doesn't race me, he is talking about the Thursday throw down.

The biggest thing this year was cutting back on the amount of hours I put in training. I've adopted the hit it and quit it style, more similar to EO, which makes sense since we both have a fine feminine figure. I used to use the 10 hr weekly total that Norm or Utah put in as a bench mark, but those guys are huge pwr houses, I can't recover from that much volume. I used to dig myself into too deep a hole to climb out of. Not to say I never do a 3hr tempo ride, but there is a time for that when ramping up, once I'm in the thick of race season I rely on the stuff I got. I usually have a good start to the beginnging of the race season because I feel well rested, this season I held onto the well rested feel by not killing myself with training.

Last year was also a good racing season that prepared me for greater competition this year. We bust @David Taylor but last year we had some competitive races, 2:30 hrs at Blue mtn was brutal. This year lining up with Kahl, Victor, Roger, Larino, Kirt, Welch...all great guys but when we line up we want to kick each other's ass. I must say the competition this year pushed me to another level.

Finally, don't be afraid to take chances. Lining up with seasoned veterans in cat 1 on a rigid SS sounded like a stupid idea at the time but in a way that only made me want to push harder and throw it down more.

Yeah, pretty much, it took me awhile to learn how to win races.
Also Mike isn't 45, he doesn't race me, he is talking about the Thursday throw down.

The biggest thing this year was cutting back on the amount of hours I put in training. I've adopted the hit it and quit it style, more similar to EO, which makes sense since we both have a fine feminine figure. I used to use the 10 hr weekly total that Norm or Utah put in as a bench mark, but those guys are huge pwr houses, I can't recover from that much volume. I used to dig myself into too deep a hole to climb out of. Not to say I never do a 3hr tempo ride, but there is a time for that when ramping up, once I'm in the thick of race season I rely on the stuff I got. I usually have a good start to the beginnging of the race season because I feel well rested, this season I held onto the well rested feel by not killing myself with training.

Last year was also a good racing season that prepared me for greater competition this year. We bust @David Taylor but last year we had some competitive races, 2:30 hrs at Blue mtn was brutal. This year lining up with Kahl, Victor, Roger, Larino, Kirt, Welch...all great guys but when we line up we want to kick each other's ass. I must say the competition this year pushed me to another level.

Finally, don't be afraid to take chances. Lining up with seasoned veterans in cat 1 on a rigid SS sounded like a stupid idea at the time but in a way that only made me want to push harder and throw it down more.
Omg, this is going to make @Mountain Bike Mike’s brain explode

Back
Top Bottom