IGVENTURE

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1528657516119.png

Another week, another race. This time Kirt drove us to Delaware to do Ramsey's Revenge, Me and Dan Larino...not the football player who sold Isotoner gloves. Dan kicked ass, he got 3rd in 40 Elite Class, 40 Elites are not quite as fast as Pro but definitely faster then Cat 1s. Dan can probably get an endorsement deal to sell gloves when he quits cycling.
20180609_080254.jpg

When you think of Delaware you think of pancake flat trails but there was some rolling elevation mixed in with flat sections, it is literally just across from Granogue, I could see that tower from the cross race in the distance. With 350+ people signed up for the race the place was hopping, it was nice to see all the team tents set up and 5 porta johns, the 5 porta johns really added to the vibe.

A lot of people finish a race and say that is the hardest thing I've ever done, I'm gonna be one of those people and say that this is one of the hardest races I've ever done. Right up there with the Bearscat and Crit races, when I used to be a roadie. So after 80+ mtb races why am I putting this up there as one of the toughest? It was really difficult for me because it was more like a road/cyclocross race, non stop pedalling, straight up power course. A lot of sections where wide open, no tech, nothing too steep(except for one climb at the end) that you had to just drill with constant power. I need more tight technical single track to give my legs a break, there was some sections with rocks but this course favored a cx style racer with endless power, which is the opposite of Bear Creek last week, that course was a mtbers dream.

76981988-IMGL2633.JPG

I did have fun in the rocky section. When I rolled into this on my first lap it was mayhem, riders and bikes all over the place, hecklers, guys offering donuts. When I saw this shit show it really fired me up, there was no defined line and chances are the good line had a guy laying across it with his bike on top of him. The section was not really that difficult but this was a roadie course in Delaware. As I made my way through, a song from my college days popped into my head, one of my buddies was a metal head and played guitar, he would play this on 11 daily, well anyway it kinda summed up how I felt when I came to the shit show... Son a bitch, kiss my ass. Whenever I hear this I think of Ragdoll(college buddy who looked like a ragdoll)

Despite not being a big power guy, I was doing ok sitting in 2nd place as we entered the last lap. I lost the lead near the end of the 1st lap when I pedaled up the steep climb using everything I had and the guy in 2nd, Pat, ran around me and jumped back on his bike. I was so gassed after that climb that I could not catch him. The guy in 3rd, Glenn, was a big power guy, he led us out at the start of the race, it felt like a crit, I was just holding onto his wheel using all I had, with the amount of power he had it would be dangerous to not mark him up. Finally we reached the single track and big power guy was also big brake guy in the twisty tech. After about 5 minutes I made a move around Glenn because I can, Pat followed me. Pat was a local and stayed on my wheel, calling out turns and such up ahead and gave me a compliment for crushing the mayhem section, which made me feel good. This companionship lasted until that last climb, then he got around me.

So the last lap I continue to stay on the gas for fear that Glenn power could catch me on the flat, rolling sections, which there were a lot of. This course has distinct sections that give you as sense of where you are and how much more you have to go. Finally we reach the last steep climb of the race, that indicates to me that I am close to the finish. As I pedal up I feel my quadriceps begin to cramp, first the muscle right above the knee. I jump off the bike and fumble up the hill, losing time and places to the 40+ age group guys I was riding with. I keep looking back for fear that Glenn is going to catch me, thankfully I crest the hill and don't see Glenn behind me. There is a downhill which I spin to try to get my legs back then another short climb before the last downhill to the finish. At the start of the last little climb my quads on the sides of my legs say FU, this really hurt. I jumped off my bike and began to zombie walk up this last climb, it was debilitating, I wanted to move but my legs didn't . Ok, I made it to the top and jumped on my bike for the last downhill to the finish. As I threw my leg over the bike Glenn zipped by me and threw down the hammer...FUCK. From a dead stop I tried to catch him, but on a SS, going downhill with 400 yards to the finish I already knew the outcome when he came around me.

Well at least I got 3rd in Cat 1 SS.

20180609_161715.jpg

JDurk

Great job again! That rock garden can be tricky when you don't have a clear shot through. Those 2 guys are very familiar with the trails there.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
loving the multiple glasses situation in the first photo, you really are ready for anything.
great explanation of the course, it really is on the gas the whole time.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@ChrisG @jmanic, thanks, things are falling into place this year. Luckily I have time to train and more importantly know when to rest. Everyone is different and it's hard to generalize a given amount of hrs one should ride per week. I start out strong at the beginning of the season because I feel fresh and then fade after awhile because I burn out. I'm finding I am similar to @Delish in that I don't need to put in a ton of hours to ride strong, in fact too much intensity leaves me feeling flat.

https://www.notubes.com/crest-cb7-wheelsets

The one thing that doesn't feel flat are these new Stans Carbon Crest CB7 wheels I got a few weeks ago. This is by far the best upgrade I've ever made, that and my dropper on the Tallboy. I've always wanted carbon wheels, everyone tells me how great they are but the cost was a bit much for me. I didn't want sub par carbon wheelset at a lower price, when Stans came out with the Crests CB7...Boom, done deal. Good price, durable enough to put on and leave on.

20180610_124216.jpg

What I love about these wheels are the fact that they are compliant without being flex-ee. They roll with more precision and I find it easier to hold a line over off camber roots, sharp turns and rock chatter. The weight is only slightly lighter then the Aluminum Crests but the quality of the wheel is greatly better.

Mountain Bike Mike

That is my all time favorite race course.. I ran in to @JDurk who was explaining the change they made on the last climb. \Good work on that finish

Funny story, I used to work 15 minute away and used to ride there at lunch... on the trail along the creek, I took an incorrect line and ran out of real estate and ended up in the drink... Had to go back to work like that...

I really missed this race... MUCH SADS.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
20180617_082758.jpg

The Trifecta, 3 weeks, 3 podiums; 1st(Bear Creek, mtbers dream), 2nd(Stewart Flow), 3rd(Ramsey's, Bring da Power).

Yesterday makes 3 weeks in a row of racing and 3 weeks of podiums. While I maintain that Ramsey's revenge last week was the hardest race I've ever done, Stewart yesterday is my most rewarding race to date. I must say the level of competition this year has upped my intensity in racing and fortunately I have the training dialed in at this point. The race last week was the perfect spring board to launch into battle at Stewart against the largest Cat 1 class I've ever lined up with in a field that was stacked in talent.

We lined up at the start with 25 guys in the Cat 1 45+ class. Roger A was in the front row, I lined up in the 2nd row behind Victor S, Dave K was up there, Dan L next to me...Honestly I have heard of Roger but didn't know who he was until I asked Dan to point him out to me. I was yaking it up at the start and before I knew it that air horn went off, that is the best start horn ever, its all business and up in yo grill.

The prologue was a .25ish mile service road to single track, Roger jumped in front as expected and drilled it down the road, much like the start of SSaP, however they all had gears and I was SS (spinning my ass off). I was the last on a train of 6 as we jumped into the single track with a slight gap on the field. It was Roger, Dave, Victor, Andy, Dan and myself, once we hit the start of Pine(single track) I breathed a sigh of relief, as now I could keep up with these guys without too much effort. We encountered traffic as we continued into the course, the first half of the lap was somewhat tense, the 6 of us wanted to stay on Roger's wheel and did not want to get stuck behind in lap traffic. There was some shouting and jockeying for position, some racers we came upon did not want to give up a pass. I got stuck behind an endurance guy who would not move over, after asking him 3 times and pleading with him, I made an aggressive move around him which pissed him off, he cussed me out but I ignored him. I don't want to be a dick but I don't want to fall off the pace with the leaders. After this encounter I was able to bridge up to the guys, I settled in behind Victor as we were almost halfway through the first lap.

We came out to a road section and the pack of 6 was splintered, Roger took off, Dan, Dave and Andy chased, leaving me and Victor back. Victor was running out of gas on the road and I wanted to pass him before we got into the next single track, so I called out my pass and went around, he was kinda like fu, but in a playful way. Passing Victor was a small boost I needed to get my head in the game and give me the confidence I needed to let me know I'm good enough to be at the front end of this race.

The last half of the lap was harder for me, there was less winding trails for me to flow on, it was more straight with some up and downs and occasional turns. These sections required more power, I pushed as hard as I could because I had to, knowing the guys in front of me are straight up power houses. In the last quater of the lap I came upon Dave Kahl, when I come upon Dave its usually for tire or mechanical issues, if his bike is working properly I usually don't see much of him in a race. I believe he was having derailleur issues. Shortly after passing him I came around for the start of lap 2, I'm not sure how long my first lap was but mentally it felt quick, which gave the juice to keep the hammer down.

20180617_082907.jpg

My happy face going into Pine.

Going into the single track on Pine, I feel like I'm back on my home turf, I've raced the first half of this course so many times and feel so confident on these trails, in my head I own this shit and feel I can hang with the best of them without too much effort. I share this with you not to be a braggart but to let you know my inspiration to take on guys like Dan L, who beat me last week by 5 minutes at Ramsey's. That was a power course, Dan has more power then me...but I know how to flow and we're at Stewart this week yo. With that I came upon Andy in the first half of the course, I was being stealth behind him for awhile and made a move around him on one of the climbs. This was like poking a hornets nest, I put in a big dig after I passed him but he stayed on my wheel. This pushed me to stay on the gas, with no let up, hearing Andy behind me I knew he was not going to lay over and fold. This effort allowed us to bridge up to Dan, who was sitting in 2nd behind Roger. Dan was a little surprised to see us and jumped on the train with me leading the way.

At this point we are on the second half of the course, which is not my strong point. I drilled it coming out of the single track but when we reached the road Dan shot around me and into the next single track first with Andy behind me. The three of us hung together for the remainder of lap 2 until we came out to the road before the start of lap 3. As we made our way down the road toward Pine, I drilled it to jump to the front to lead through the trails I love. Back in the day when I raced these trails, I'd always wipe out on a section or slip up because I was riding on the edge of control, now when I race hear I feel I'm in total control and my movements are instinctive as I ride in my zone. Yeah, I could still fuck up, but I don't think about that.

Despite my best efforts Andy and Dan are still right behind me, not challenging to pass me but waiting to attack at the right time. I know its going to come at the second half of this lap, the power sections. Sure enough as we hit the road section before the 2nd half of single track Andy makes a move around me and gets into single track first with Dan behind me. Andy puts in some digs on the straight sections but i manage to stay close enough behind, I think Dan got around me here as well. On the slight climbs I sense that these two are struggling a bit so I put in a dig and get around them but they manage to jump back on my wheel. Andy I are attacking each other every chance we get, in the process we dropped Dan, which gave me a sense of relief in knowing I'd get a podium spot if I hang on but also fired me up with the chance to get 2nd place. In my soul I believed I was stronger then Andy and I told myself to Seize the Day, right place right time, don't hold back, take no prisoners, have no regrets, ok that's enough cliches...you get the idea.

The last 5 minutes of the race was the fiercest battling I've ever done, Andy was blocking somewhat on climbs when I tried to come around, which I probably would have done too, and thwarting my attacks, which kinda pissed me off. One of the last climbs was wide enough for me to pass, so I drilled it with authority and got around him. After I passed him the end of the course could not come soon enough, I rode with renewed energy and kept the pressure on because the finish was flat road which would give the advantage to Andy on gears. Finally the road section appeared before me and I started my 2 minute interval to the finish line. I hammered my 32x16 gearing with everything I had and did not let up, knowing that doing so would result in 3rd place instead of 2nd...SEIZE THE DAY. I looked back as I saw the finish line 20' in front of me and was relieved to not see Andy right on my wheel ready to sprint around me. I finished up with a final push and crossed the line 6 seconds ahead of Andy and collapsed in front of Mrs Goz who was near the start area. It took me almost 5 minutes before I was able to say hello to her.

20180616_190720.jpg

Kaleidopete

View attachment 70702
The Trifecta, 3 weeks, 3 podiums; 1st(Bear Creek, mtbers dream), 2nd(Stewart Flow), 3rd(Ramsey's, Bring da Power).

Yesterday makes 3 weeks in a row of racing and 3 weeks of podiums. While I maintain that Ramsey's revenge last week was the hardest race I've ever done, Stewart yesterday is my most rewarding race to date. I must say the level of competition this year has upped my intensity in racing and fortunately I have the training dialed in at this point. The race last week was the perfect spring board to launch into battle at Stewart against the largest Cat 1 class I've ever lined up with in a field that was stacked in talent.

We lined up at the start with 25 guys in the Cat 1 45+ class. Roger A was in the front row, I lined up in the 2nd row behind Victor S, Dave K was up there, Dan L next to me...Honestly I have heard of Roger but didn't know who he was until I asked Dan to point him out to me. I was yaking it up at the start and before I knew it that air horn went off, that is the best start horn ever, its all business and up in yo grill.

The prologue was a .25ish mile service road to single track, Roger jumped in front as expected and drilled it down the road, much like the start of SSaP, however they all had gears and I was SS (spinning my ass off). I was the last on a train of 6 as we jumped into the single track with a slight gap on the field. It was Roger, Dave, Victor, Andy, Dan and myself, once we hit the start of Pine(single track) I breathed a sigh of relief, as now I could keep up with these guys without too much effort. We encountered traffic as we continued into the course, the first half of the lap was somewhat tense, the 6 of us wanted to stay on Roger's wheel and did not want to get stuck behind in lap traffic. There was some shouting and jockeying for position, some racers we came upon did not want to give up a pass. I got stuck behind an endurance guy who would not move over, after asking him 3 times and pleading with him, I made an aggressive move around him which pissed him off, he cussed me out but I ignored him. I don't want to be a dick but I don't want to fall off the pace with the leaders. After this encounter I was able to bridge up to the guys, I settled in behind Victor as we were almost halfway through the first lap.

We came out to a road section and the pack of 6 was splintered, Roger took off, Dan, Dave and Andy chased, leaving me and Victor back. Victor was running out of gas on the road and I wanted to pass him before we got into the next single track, so I called out my pass and went around, he was kinda like fu, but in a playful way. Passing Victor was a small boost I needed to get my head in the game and give me the confidence I needed to let me know I'm good enough to be at the front end of this race.

The last half of the lap was harder for me, there was less winding trails for me to flow on, it was more straight with some up and downs and occasional turns. These sections required more power, I pushed as hard as I could because I had to, knowing the guys in front of me are straight up power houses. In the last quater of the lap I came upon Dave Kahl, when I come upon Dave its usually for tire or mechanical issues, if his bike is working properly I usually don't see much of him in a race. I believe he was having derailleur issues. Shortly after passing him I came around for the start of lap 2, I'm not sure how long my first lap was but mentally it felt quick, which gave the juice to keep the hammer down.

View attachment 70701
My happy face going into Pine.

Going into the single track on Pine, I feel like I'm back on my home turf, I've raced the first half of this course so many times and feel so confident on these trails, in my head I own this shit and feel I can hang with the best of them without too much effort. I share this with you not to be a braggart but to let you know my inspiration to take on guys like Dan L, who beat me last week by 5 minutes at Ramsey's. That was a power course, Dan has more power then me...but I know how to flow and we're at Stewart this week yo. With that I came upon Andy in the first half of the course, I was being stealth behind him for awhile and made a move around him on one of the climbs. This was like poking a hornets nest, I put in a big dig after I passed him but he stayed on my wheel. This pushed me to stay on the gas, with no let up, hearing Andy behind me I knew he was not going to lay over and fold. This effort allowed us to bridge up to Dan, who was sitting in 2nd behind Roger. Dan was a little surprised to see us and jumped on the train with me leading the way.

At this point we are on the second half of the course, which is not my strong point. I drilled it coming out of the single track but when we reached the road Dan shot around me and into the next single track first with Andy behind me. The three of us hung together for the remainder of lap 2 until we came out to the road before the start of lap 3. As we made our way down the road toward Pine, I drilled it to jump to the front to lead through the trails I love. Back in the day when I raced these trails, I'd always wipe out on a section or slip up because I was riding on the edge of control, now when I race hear I feel I'm in total control and my movements are instinctive as I ride in my zone. Yeah, I could still fuck up, but I don't think about that.

Despite my best efforts Andy and Dan are still right behind me, not challenging to pass me but waiting to attack at the right time. I know its going to come at the second half of this lap, the power sections. Sure enough as we hit the road section before the 2nd half of single track Andy makes a move around me and gets into single track first with Dan behind me. Andy puts in some digs on the straight sections but i manage to stay close enough behind, I think Dan got around me here as well. On the slight climbs I sense that these two are struggling a bit so I put in a dig and get around them but they manage to jump back on my wheel. Andy I are attacking each other every chance we get, in the process we dropped Dan, which gave me a sense of relief in knowing I'd get a podium spot if I hang on but also fired me up with the chance to get 2nd place. In my soul I believed I was stronger then Andy and I told myself to Seize the Day, right place right time, don't hold back, take no prisoners, have no regrets, ok that's enough cliches...you get the idea.

The last 5 minutes of the race was the fiercest battling I've ever done, Andy was blocking somewhat on climbs when I tried to come around, which I probably would have done too, and thwarting my attacks, which kinda pissed me off. One of the last climbs was wide enough for me to pass, so I drilled it with authority and got around him. After I passed him the end of the course could not come soon enough, I rode with renewed energy and kept the pressure on because the finish was flat road which would give the advantage to Andy on gears. Finally the road section appeared before me and I started my 2 minute interval to the finish line. I hammered my 32x16 gearing with everything I had and did not let up, knowing that doing so would result in 3rd place instead of 2nd...SEIZE THE DAY. I looked back as I saw the finish line 20' in front of me and was relieved to not see Andy right on my wheel ready to sprint around me. I finished up with a final push and crossed the line 6 seconds ahead of Andy and collapsed in front of Mrs Goz who was near the start area. It took me almost 5 minutes before I was able to say hello to her.

View attachment 70700
Thanks for the Great recap!
I don't understand the attitude of not letting you pass, WTF, that's like hogging the passing lane on the highway.
Endurance knows they're pacing themselves and you're hammering!

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I finished up with a final push and crossed the line 6 seconds ahead of Andy and collapsed in front of Mrs Goz who was near the start area. It took me almost 5 minutes before I was able to say hello to her.
Haha, great recap of an awesome race. So stoked for the season you're having, man.

Mrs. G has photographic evidence of your finish line condition, you'll see it soon.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lewmo Cat 1 45+

I make my way way to the start line, im the one that everyone looks at, guys move over and encourage me to have a good race, I don't feel like that dude, I feel like the kid on the first day of school who secretly wants his mom. Once the horn goes off we're bumping elbows and its a fight to the front, it doesn't matter how many races you got on the podium, you want to take the lead, you have to earn it, every time.

I was 8th of 25 as we started up the road on the way to single track. Roger got out front again and softened everyone's legs a bit, by the time we made the right turn up into steeper single track, I was passing people like they had an anchor on their wheel. We encountered the guys shot out the back of the 15+class , which added to traffic chaos on the switch back climb. Dan Larino was riding real aggressively, calling out passes loudly, so I jumped on his wheel and let him clear traffic. At one point he asked a dude to move over, as he did so the guy ended up hitting the deck, Dan managed to scoot around him and I did the same and practically bunny hopped over his bike. When I caught back up to Dan we had a laugh or two, like 12 yr olds that had just thrown a rock through a window and ran. I'm not sure who that guy was but I know it was a white and red Specialized bike I bunny hopped, sorry dude.

SlightAdoredBunny-max-1mb.gif

The start of these races is really comical, we are the Keystone Cops (prehistoric comedy ) with extra testosterone, racing to the scene. We all think we're hot shit, myself included but it's still fun to be a part of the stupidity. As long as we can have a laugh about it at the finish line and understand all is fair in love and mtb racing, you can't take this shit too seriously.
Mitch can be seen driving the car in this clip above.

Finally we made the hard left up the teal climb, I was sitting in 4th, Dan sprinted away and I could not hang on his wheel. Toward the top of the climb I came upon Dave Kahl and sat on his wheel for a bit. As the climb started to kick up at the top Dave began to fade a bit and I went around him. This is not the same Dave from earlier this season, who no one could catch 10 minutes into a race, but that's racing, if you can't rock me, someone else will.

After getting around Dave I was sitting 3rd behind Dan and Roger, but I didn't know this at the time, I was not sure if I was sitting 3rd or 4th. In the frenzy that usually occurs in the first 15 minutes of a race, it gets fuzzy when it comes to who you passed and who may have passed you. I finished out the lap of limbo placement and found motivation at the start of lap 2 in battling a couple 15+ guys and Jaime who was also racing 15+ on his SS.

FB_IMG_1530020219212.jpg

Thanks for the pic Magic.

Having someone to race keeps me focused and in the game, the three of us trade places back and forth with me in front most of the time until Jaime comes around me on the last long climb. I don't know how the fuck he did this, since he raced Neshaminy yesterday and won. He started the race with 15+ guys, so I'm still up on him on time, despite him being in front of me, however I can't let him have a faster time then me , so I push enough to keep him in sight and stay motivated. My finishing time is 30" better then Jaime and I'm happy to find I got 3rd, a minute behind Marino.

Some folks may call Roger a sand bagger, but I honestly don't care that he's racing Cat 1 45+. If he is not on the top step then me or Dan are...and everyone will be calling us sand baggers. I'm just like...people who stand on glass podiums shouldn't throw stones.

20180624_151358.jpg

Even though I got 3rd in the race, my podium pic is pro. I zipped up and washed the dirt off my face for this one.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@ChrisG @jmanic, thanks, things are falling into place this year. Luckily I have time to train and more importantly know when to rest. Everyone is different and it's hard to generalize a given amount of hrs one should ride per week. I start out strong at the beginning of the season because I feel fresh and then fade after awhile because I burn out. I'm finding I am similar to @Delish in that I don't need to put in a ton of hours to ride strong, in fact too much intensity leaves me feeling flat.

https://www.notubes.com/crest-cb7-wheelsets

The one thing that doesn't feel flat are these new Stans Carbon Crest CB7 wheels I got a few weeks ago. This is by far the best upgrade I've ever made, that and my dropper on the Tallboy. I've always wanted carbon wheels, everyone tells me how great they are but the cost was a bit much for me. I didn't want sub par carbon wheelset at a lower price, when Stans came out with the Crests CB7...Boom, done deal. Good price, durable enough to put on and leave on.

View attachment 70374

What I love about these wheels are the fact that they are compliant without being flex-ee. They roll with more precision and I find it easier to hold a line over off camber roots, sharp turns and rock chatter. The weight is only slightly lighter then the Aluminum Crests but the quality of the wheel is greatly better.
I bet you still get a flat a chimney rock ride bro.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Lewmo Cat 1 45+

I make my way way to the start line, im the one that everyone looks at, guys move over and encourage me to have a good race, I don't feel like that dude, I feel like the kid on the first day of school who secretly wants his mom. Once the horn goes off we're bumping elbows and its a fight to the front, it doesn't matter how many races you got on the podium, you want to take the lead, you have to earn it, every time.

I was 8th of 25 as we started up the road on the way to single track. Roger got out front again and softened everyone's legs a bit, by the time we made the right turn up into steeper single track, I was passing people like they had an anchor on their wheel. We encountered the guys shot out the back of the 15+class , which added to traffic chaos on the switch back climb. Dan Larino was riding real aggressively, calling out passes loudly, so I jumped on his wheel and let him clear traffic. At one point he asked a dude to move over, as he did so the guy ended up hitting the deck, Dan managed to scoot around him and I did the same and practically bunny hopped over his bike. When I caught back up to Dan we had a laugh or two, like 12 yr olds that had just thrown a rock through a window and ran. I'm not sure who that guy was but I know it was a white and red Specialized bike I bunny hopped, sorry dude.

View attachment 71101

The start of these races is really comical, we are the Keystone Cops (prehistoric comedy ) with extra testosterone, racing to the scene. We all think we're hot shit, myself included but it's still fun to be a part of the stupidity. As long as we can have a laugh about it at the finish line and understand all is fair in love and mtb racing, you can't take this shit too seriously.
Mitch can be seen driving the car in this clip above.

Finally we made the hard left up the teal climb, I was sitting in 4th, Dan sprinted away and I could not hang on his wheel. Toward the top of the climb I came upon Dave Kahl and sat on his wheel for a bit. As the climb started to kick up at the top Dave began to fade a bit and I went around him. This is not the same Dave from earlier this season, who no one could catch 10 minutes into a race, but that's racing, if you can't rock me, someone else will.

After getting around Dave I was sitting 3rd behind Dan and Roger, but I didn't know this at the time, I was not sure if I was sitting 3rd or 4th. In the frenzy that usually occurs in the first 15 minutes of a race, it gets fuzzy when it comes to who you passed and who may have passed you. I finished out the lap of limbo placement and found motivation at the start of lap 2 in battling a couple 15+ guys and Jaime who was also racing 15+ on his SS.

View attachment 71102
Thanks for the pic Magic.

Having someone to race keeps me focused and in the game, the three of us trade places back and forth with me in front most of the time until Jaime comes around me on the last long climb. I don't know how the fuck he did this, since he raced Neshaminy yesterday and won. He started the race with 15+ guys, so I'm still up on him on time, despite him being in front of me, however I can't let him have a faster time then me , so I push enough to keep him in sight and stay motivated. My finishing time is 30" better then Jaime and I'm happy to find I got 3rd, a minute behind Marino.

Some folks may call Roger a sand bagger, but I honestly don't care that he's racing Cat 1 45+. If he is not on the top step then me or Dan are...and everyone will be calling us sand baggers. I'm just like...people who stand on glass podiums shouldn't throw stones.

View attachment 71103

Even though I got 3rd in the race, my podium pic is pro. I zipped up and washed the dirt off my face for this one.
Nice job @pooriggy . Jaime and I have been trying to beat you for a while now. You are killin it.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@ChrisG , yeah that is fast company. I met Dan this year through Kirt, the three of us drove down to Delaware together a few weeks ago when we raced Ramseys Revenge. Dan is someone I click with, like Kirt. If I'm gonna loose a race to someone, I'd rather loose to someone I'm friendly with and see them do well.

@David Taylor, Jaime has actually beat me this year, at Bear Creek. He and I didn't race the same Cat, he was SS and I was 50+. Jaime had an impressive race that day and was faster then me on his SS hardtail, I was on the Tallboy. J has been racing his SS in 15+ class while I've been racing SS in 45+ class, Jaime has been having a good year as well and we both are competitve against guys on gears. Hopefully we can have some influence and bring some folks into SSing. It may not be for everyone but if me and J have found bliss without gears and at the same time been successful in competitive racing , I'm sure others could as well.

As much as I love SSing at Allaire, Hartshorne, and Stewart, riding my Tallboy with dropper post at Allamuchy, Ringwood and Wawayanda is equally awesome. Imo some trails are made for SS and some are made for the Tallboy.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Yea man. I love SS but unfortunately size may matter here. It sucks to keep breaking crap so having the lightest bike may not be possible. I will be on gears too because my warranty allowed me to step away. But if you look even at the NUE race seties guys have won the overall against gears on several occasions. I think it’s easier to not blow up on ss especially in longer races. At times being forced to spin can save you.

Top Bottom