IGVENTURE

kush

I like this one too

208177_10150156596894333_616184332_6346912_4837158_n.jpg

rocknrollgirl

Very enjoyable reading, I love the pics of your family, and so far, no hijacking;).

I will be checking in. I should see if I can dig out some xc ski pictures. Show the audience what you do in the off season.

martin

subscribing to this - looks good

did you notice it was hard/er coming back to riding after you took a break? jim v wrote a bit about how his injury messed him up and he wanted to get in a lot of base miles so he'd be in proper shape...

any thoughts on this subject?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Up Front

Eric what happens on the A ride gets discussed like giddy HS girls after the prom. No one whips out a camera cause its like all bizzness.

Joe, I consider myself a crafty opportunist when it comes to roadie-ing. You could use your power to do well in crits, or kick ass in cyclocross.

Ruth, glad to see your checking in. One of the best XC ski days last winter was New Years Eve day with you, Chris, J & his girlfriend at Allaire. I still think about how high that snow was off of Hospital Rd. I loved that stuff.

Martin, coming back to cycling after taking a break was a metamorphosis. I didn’t come back with the intention of racing or riding competitively. I hopped on a mtb because I like to be on a bike. It was 3yrs of a gradual procession of riding before I entered another race. For me, making sure I didn’t make the same mistakes from the 1st time around was more important then getting in shape.

Junk Examined

In baseball there is an expression that speed slows down the game. I love these profound statements. If you don’t know what that hell I’m talking about just go along with me, I’m on a roll. Ok here is my profound cycling statement…you have to slow down to go fast.

There has been a lot of talk on Norm’s thread about junk miles. Basically these are miles on the bike that just wear you out and provide little to no benefit…well that’s my definition. This week after some hard rides I was worn out but still needed to train and put some miles on the bike to keep my fitness up. As of Wednesday I only had 2.5hrs on the bike. To avoid junk miles, yesterday I got on my road bike and focused on riding 3hr. with the goal of enjoying myself. I train with a HR monitor but for this particular ride I let how I was feeling be my guide as to what zone I would ride in. I settled into a comfortable pace and did not push it. After hard rides you should get some feedback from your body and slow down the ride, thus the slow down to go fast.

Going to Belmar for some bikini inspecting is always a good ride incentive as well. Sorry I didn’t have my camera for this.

I Liked this.
267614_2176366978564_1528536207_2328754_252935_n.jpg

Pampa

I like that one too, although not one of my favorites. It's one of the most popular beers in Belgium (a country that produces more than 300 different beers!).

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where did the week go?!! Holiday weeks always fly by, add coaching baseball games into the mix and there is no time to post onto my thread.

262238_2189799834377_1528536207_2349926_7974190_n.jpg

The 4th of July was a busy day, we played 2 games in Newark Bear's stadium and went to a party that evening. It was a treat for my son's 13yr. old team to play in an almost pro stadium with announcer and dugouts. During warm ups I had to get into the fun and throw the ball on the left field line, playing on a field like this makes you feel good. There is something magical about the start of a baseball game, as much as you may have sucked in the last game that is all forgotten. That's the one good thing about playing 23 games in 6 wks, you don't have too much time to dwell on the losses, there is always the next game.

263104_2088294456806_1528536207_2280410_7215156_n.jpg

Jamie doesn't suck.

Heading to the 4th of July party that night I was kinda tired and lifeless, once I got to the keg I perked up. The beer always sucks at these parties, its more about the volume then small batch craft brew's. After about 4 or 5 of those red solo cups I don't know if its Coors light or Miller lite, does it matter?

The fireworks are always cool in Cranford. Union County always has a big budget for this event and I have the luxury of living right next to the park that hosts the celebration. The 4th is like New Years eve. Everyone party's pretty hard then goes out to watch the show with there loved ones. Except I got lost from my loved one when I went in my friends house to take a leak, when I came back I couldn't find my wife. The night went downhill from there...my wife needs to drink more and relax at these events.

The Ride

This week was a rest week for me. Working outdoors in the heat I was happy not to have to sweat on a bike after work. I did manage to bang this out though. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97346380 I did need almost 6 bottles of water. Keep in mind I was outdoors since 6am, I needs to stay hydrated.
This was my first tempo ride this year that was not in flatter Monmouth County, my slightly higher HR reflects some of the efforts on the hills. The 3hrs I spend on a bike always fly's by when I do a tempo ride. Focusing on pacing keeps my mind from drifting and I stay sharp.

I still have to talk about my older son Evan and there is some music stuff I want to get to as well but I'll save that for later.

I Like the start of baseball games...yes that's my
happy face.

269962_2189806034532_1528536207_2349937_8131188_n.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Ride
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98258431
Got out on the mtb yesterday at Hartshorne. This place is always filled with hikers and other bikers when I show up at 10am. I couldn't get out any earlier due to work. The dog walkers always seem annoyed by me flying around on the trails, I smile and say hello but they always seem startled. I can go to Allaire and the lot will be filled but I don't run into one person on the trails, at Hartshorne I see someone every 5 minutes.

I finally figured out why my back tire has been coming off while riding my SS. I thought I solved this problem last week after KVSP but it happened again less then 10 minutes into my ride Sunday at Hartshorne. I flipped the bike over to take a look and saw that the slider adjustment on the disc brake side was not even with the slider adjustment on the chain side. With some adjusting I was able to straighten out this problem and did not have anymore tire issues. After the adjustment my brakes hardly rubbed at all on the disc's...bonus.

Hartshorne is ok but I think I've been there too many times. Its nice that its SS friendly but when I ride there I feel like I'm just going through the motions to put in a 3hr ride. When I went to KVSP with old sexy Rob last week I was really digging the trails there. I've only ridden there a few times and it was usually part of a 4-park tour of Mooch, SSP and whatever the hell else you ride to make a 4 park tour. Variety in cycling is good, knowing a trail too well blows. I need KVSP, Stewart, Ringwood , Mooch, Wayway, Blue to be 10 miles from Cranford.

The Music

As promised I have been wanting to get some tracks out that I have been really digging on. Yuck has been a sound that won't go away, it's in my head and I like it. The drummer looks like Chainsaw if he stopped ridng his bike and lived on tater tots, ice cream and beer. These guys have been panned as Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth and Pavement sound alikes...I don't care I like. Someone is always going to accuse a band of sounding like some former artist, all that matters is if you like what you hear.
The one thing Yuck and Sonic Youth do have in common is a female bass player. Chic's in bands are always hot, at least I think so. I mean they don't even have to be good looking but there is something intriguing about a female bass player. One of my favorite Sonic Youth songs has a great bass line and under stated drum solo coupled with some shitty ass slide guitaring. I love the power of this song.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A Ride
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98792645

After a rest week I figured it was time to get out and do a hard ride, so I joined the crew at High Gear for the A ride last night. As I sat in my house at 4:30pm the thought of leaving the central ac after being outdoors all day to go and bake on the road in 95 degree heat did not appeal to me at all. I contemplated bringing the Camelbak to the ride, it holds plenty of cold water, but didn't want to look like a dork. Its one thing to do a road ride with my teammates looking like a mtber, I'm kinda trying to play off being a roadie too at the HG ride(- the hairy legs).

Despite the heat guys were still pushing hard, some guy showed up in a Colivita kit and pushed the pace hard at times. Bucknell, Mike G and Vreeland were having off nights so Colivita was doing a lot of the driving. Reading Jim V's post Colivita's name is Rich and his son just turned pro cyclist. Thats what I love about this ride, there is always some guy with legs that will show up and give the ride a spank.

Burnt Mills road, Laminigton road were on fire, these sections cooked. The best rollers in NJ are located on Lamington Rd, unless someone can tell me otherwise. The sprint sections were real sprints with a lot of guys fighting for the win. I was always about 10yrds back from the sprint. Sprints are not my strong point and I'm content to stay with the group and let the big guys have there moment. My moment comes later.

After Lamington I was really feeling the heat, guys were skipping pulls up front but I opted to stay in rotation. I survived but had to be alert when Rich got to the front, he was hitting it hard and guys who didn't jump on a wheel fell off the train. We crossed 202 and eventually made the right turn to go up Liberty Corner. At this point I asked Eric if he had anything left, he told me his legs were a little soft after training for cross yesterday. He mentioned something about stadium climbs...I think this has something to do with running. Eric's really into cross.
Bucknell usually leads the charge up Liberty but he wasn't around. It seemed like everyone was fried from the heat so I decide to lead the charge up the climb. In Utah fashion I left the crank in the 53 and powered up with some rhythm. It was quite behind me until about 1/2 way up when John(hg dude) came around me with Rich, and Eric. I tried to hop on the train but could not, they caught me off guard and I could not answer. I crested the hill in fourth and could not see the group behind me. I kept the hammer down and caught Eric at the bottom and eventually met up with Rich and John.

Like the last time I did this ride I was part of a 4 man break away as we sailed back to the shop. After feeling strong on these rides and enjoying the intensity I am seriously thinking about doing Battenkill next year. 4 corner crits w/sprint finish's are not my strong point. A 64 mile tour w/climbing is suited to my abilities and something I have to consider. Ilya has mentioned doing these types of races to me before, I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

The Shmev

My older son Evan got his driving permit, so we went out driving tonight. Not bad, he just needs some practice getting smoother on turns, breaking and drifting towards parked cars...other then that he did great.

281244_2204513802217_1528536207_2372732_7421117_n.jpg

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Chris, just wanted to say that I have been really enjoying the reading. Good stuff man!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A Ride
...I think this has something to do with running.
Yep. running is that sport you do with your feet. Nope not soccer, the other one.

Thanks for not mentioning that I nearly popped on Lamington.

I think B-Kill would suit you well. You go uphill in a hurry. The climbs are very punchy. I got punched pretty hard in the face.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job, ill be back at the A ride soon. It really is an awesome time.

Congrats on your son getting his permit...I remember that being one of the best days of my life.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh hey, as a fellow blogger just wanted to lend some support and say that I still read. It was on the iPhone last night before bed which does not lend itself to comments, at least not as much as sitting at work does.

Battenkill would be a slam dunk for you, since you're old and cat 5. Given that you can hang with people who are not old and cat 4, you would likely decimate the field. I don't know how well you go down in a hurry, but your ability in the climbs would make up for it.

I'll pass on a bit of advice that Monte gave me last fall though. Battenkill and SSaP - pick one, because you won't do well in both. Well, if they're back-to-back you won't. Battenkill was the hardest race I've ever done but I'm fatter than you.

Keep the kid out of my neighborhood with the car. I got enough young punk who don't know how to drive in the area already.

kush

I was going to make the same comment as Norm about decimation, but not the old part.

I peaked for Bkill and continued the peak to SSAP, and it was fine. Well, fine is relative, but it was up to my expectations.

And I would add that you should do a couple of crits (like branchbrook in April) just to feel warm and fuzzy in a pack of morons with really bad bike handling skills. For sure.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And I would add that you should do a couple of crits (like branchbrook in April) just to feel warm and fuzzy in a pack of morons with really bad bike handling skills. For sure.

I don't disagree, but by mile 15 I suspect he would be riding with 2-3 other people at most anyway.

RNG1

Ig would you be 45+ cat5? if so that would be very cool up at bkill.
Norm is right about that about the pack coming apart in the cat5 however it did hold together until that first big climb and that was when 4 guys went over the top and I missed it. Up until that point there was some expected sketchyness and you had to make sure you were at the front which was not really difficult to do IMO. Next year I would be much more confident in going with the breakaway especially if we could be like the dynamic duo :getsome:

Top Bottom