Metuchen Bike Share

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
As a long time Metuchen resident I don't see this working. The majority of our commercial businesses are within 2-3 blocks of each other in the center of town. The traffic they are trying to remove are out of town commuters who get dropped off and picked up daily for the train station. Most locals walk to the train. Unless these bikes are scattered throughout the residential streets, I don't see many locals using them to reduce traffic.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've seen these things scattered around the streets of Plainfield during my commute. I was wondering what was going on with all the green bikes.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I guess these could be a cheap rental bike for people interested in riding the Middlesex Greenway.

liong71er

I saw these same bikes scattered around east Chicago bordering with Indiana unlocked,as well during my tip there last years, and now made it way here, crazy!!

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
And the ones in Plainfield have already all been stolen. Every bike is located in someone's backyard or in the woods. o_O

There's 2 in the woods near my house. I should go grab whatever's left of them and build my own.

Screenshot_20180610-131137.png

qclabrat

Dockless bikes don't work. Either too expensive with all the GPS stuff or too cheap with nothing.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ride bike share bikes whenever I go to a city that has them available. Most are like NYC where you have to bring them back to a dock. I've not seen a dockless one yet, but Portland has an interesting compromise. There are specific docks, but you can also lock them up to any bike rack in the city. If you lock them up outside of the main downtown area it's an extra dollar or something, depending on your membership level. The GPS and all logic is in the bike, so the official bike docks are basically just normal bike racks. You punch your account number and pin into a computer on the bike itself to unlock the ulock, and then you can just lock it wherever when you are done. The app shows how many bikes are in each dock, and where the randomly docked bikes are. You can also hold a bike for thirty minutes, meaning nobody else can take it. It was pretty interesting.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
these are all over Charlotte. sometimes you see them in trailheads, on the side of the interstate, or in creeks. rather humorous. not sure if it "works" or not...

Top Bottom