Mercer County Park Conditions

PistolPete

Yeah...little wet...
20180529_180737.jpg

20180529_180809.jpg

Mountain Bike Mike

Red / Orange Trails west of the Marina were in decent shape. trails west of the damn along the creek were flooded.

Red between the Marina and Tennis courts were perfect.

Rusty

Mercer is a mess right now. Water levels yesterday were very high. Nothing to the east and north of the tennis center should be ridden for a bit. I went thru one puddle and turned around at all others and came out dry and not muddy - a scouting ride. Give this place some time. We will be needing to fix a bunch of ruts and do some bridge repair.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1607132606

Here is a picture or two for your cringing pleasure:

double bridges, one out of place and island flooded:
IMG_7598 (768x1024).jpg

bottom of the dam where they fish is flooded:
IMG_7609 (768x1024).jpg

Here is the gazebo near the marina:
IMG_7610 (768x1024).jpg

Bridge on van nest side along creek out of place:
IMG_7607 (1024x768).jpg

an interior van nest trail...almost went thru, stopped short when I realized it was over a foot deep:
IMG_7608 (768x1024).jpg

viper8315

oh and its raining there now to boot

Thanks for the update Rusty, that is definitely going to take a while to dry out. Hopefully Mother Nature gets all of the heavy rain out of her system, and the rest of our summer is nice. We'll see...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Mercer is a mess right now. Water levels yesterday were very high. Nothing to the east and north of the tennis center should be ridden for a bit. I went thru one puddle and turned around at all others and came out dry and not muddy - a scouting ride. Give this place some time. We will be needing to fix a bunch of ruts and do some bridge repair.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1607132606

Here is a picture or two for your cringing pleasure:

double bridges, one out of place and island flooded:
View attachment 69792
bottom of the dam where they fish is flooded:
View attachment 69793
Here is the gazebo near the marina:
View attachment 69794

Bridge on van nest side along creek out of place:
View attachment 69795
an interior van nest trail...almost went thru, stopped short when I realized it was over a foot deep:
View attachment 69796
Oh damn, that bridge moved kinda far!

The Kalmyk

You should have see the dam at assumpink which is the upstream source of this water.

Mercer isn’t seaward bound so it will always be subjected to excessive flooding.

Now with more building in my home town there will be added run off. More property up for sale so expect more run off.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You should have see the dam at assumpink which is the upstream source of this water.

Mercer isn’t seaward bound so it will always be subjected to excessive flooding.

Now with more building in my home town there will be added run off. More property up for sale so expect more run off.
Feel good post of the day bro. However, assunpink—>delaware—>ocean

The Kalmyk

Feel good post of the day bro. However, assunpink—>delaware—>ocean
Not sure what feel good post of the day is implying but in fishing terms seaward water is water that dumps directly to the ocean not thru other channels of water. That was my understanding for a long time.

However you have me asking myself if the opposite of my story is true. Not sure.

Amendment - if this dumps to the canal then simply replace the Delaware with Raritan in your equation

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not sure what feel good post of the day is implying but in fishing terms seaward water is water that dumps directly to the ocean not thru other channels of water. That was my understanding for a long time.

However you have me asking myself if the opposite of my story is true. Not sure.

Amendment - if this dumps to the canal then simply replace the Delaware with Raritan in your equation
We are beyond my water terms knowledge.

While I am not 30 years Mercer user, the flooding this year is more than what I have seen in my 20 years out here. Something is getting jammed up somewhere.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Settle down children.
This amount of flooding is not as uncommon as you think. I can remember a handful of times in probably the last 5 years with similar flooding. There are pictures somewhere of @TAS and @Mick714 in full waders trekking up the stream/trail towing bridges back to their places.
You will notice that most of the bridges are tethered so they will not go too far when they flood out. I seem to remember one of the double bridges almost floating out to the lake before we started this tethering them.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions