Mercer County Park Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Going tomorrow at lunch, would expect lakeside and van nest to be mostly good, avoid the “normal” bad spots. The other side is surely a nightmare

zmodica

Just came off the trails. I parked at the marina and rode every trail towards the dam and beyond it and back. The park is surprisingly dry with about 6 spots that you should either avoid or get off and walk. Although these spots are inundated by tire marks because some people are dicks. I give it a "thumbs up green light get your ride in today or tomorrow before it rains". I counted and there are eleventy billion spiky balls on the ground. And that Fox by that damn sprint is still dead

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Just came off the trails. I parked at the marina and rode every trail towards the dam and beyond it and back. The park is surprisingly dry with about 6 spots that you should either avoid or get off and walk. Although these spots are inundated by tire marks because some people are dicks. I give it a "thumbs up green light get your ride in today or tomorrow before it rains". I counted and there are eleventy billion spiky balls on the ground. And that Fox by that damn sprint is still dead
I agree with this assessment, only a couple of mud holes but no dismounting needed, just ride right through the center (which is what you are supposed to do instead of walking around and widening the trail). Get at it before the rain starting mid day tomorrow

Last edited:

TAS

Yesterday I cleaned up the downed trees and thorn mess just past the tennis courts.
No after Pic because SOMEBODY left the camera turned on in the backpack!!!
TAS

DSCN1586.JPG

TAS

The picture above was taken after the 1st storm bur before the second one with the snow. There is plenty of snow everywhere now!
All the trails are snowy, wet & muddy.
Soft on top and melt puddles everywhere. Best to stay away until well after the next snow on Mon-Tues.
I was out for a walk today to taks a look and clean up some downed trees on the Van Nest side.
There are branches down all over. Some I dragged off, the bigger stuff cut and moved.

I spoke to a local lady who was walking her dogs, She told me that trees / branches/ vines were down all over

We have a JORBA Trail maintenance event this weekend. Come on out and give some love to the park!

Pic are in before-after sequence. The last pic... Not going to clear that one with a hand saw!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1604.JPG
    DSCN1604.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1605.JPG
    DSCN1605.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN1599.JPG
    DSCN1599.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1600.JPG
    DSCN1600.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1602.JPG
    DSCN1602.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

We rode most of red and some of the blue side.... Surprisingly, the heavy leaf cover and sandy soil made for better than expected conditions. The conditions aren't great everywhere, there are some trails that are swamped so you'll need to be picky and smart about what trails to ride.

TAS

The Van Nest side is clear, although there is high water along the river.
There is still one tree down that I need to remove. I am going back out today to clear whatever I find and can do safely.
Mike.... did you see any thing on Red that needs attention?
I may get over to Blue north of the power lines today If I have time and report what I find there.

TAS

Yesterday I saw that somebody had been seriously raking and "De Balled" yellow! :thumbsup: Great job BTW...
I took out the vine tangle stb222 mentioned above.
Anyway I was out hiking just to clear anything and everything :banana:I could find on Yellow Trail from VanNest to West parking lot.
Had the Silky "Katana" and the "Big Boy" with me;)
Cleared at least 10 major obstructions, branches, trees on trail, then just lost count!.
Its clear & rideable now but there are small sticks and debris here and there.
I removed the remaining tree on yellow in Van Nest that was down. Trail conditions are actually much improved south of the lake and the windy conditions should dry things up for the weekend. The surfaces are soft but not muddy. However, Van Nest is still flooded in the usual spots by the river.

Have not been over to Blue, Blue north of the power lines, SOB, Red loop -East Picnic or grail trail area.
The is still a tree down on the red loop east of the picnic area.

Has anybody checked out the East Picnic area lately? The woods has been cleared out along the river and all behind the new pavilion / bathrooms.
Figured that the entrance to BN was wet as Mike wrote above. Last time I rode the lake had flooded blue and the Grail was really swampy wet. Was going to go out today and check the trees down on blue but had to help my Dad.

Maybe tomorrow.

TAS

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yesterday I saw that somebody had been seriously raking and "De Balled" yellow! :thumbsup: Great job BTW...
I took out the vine tangle stb222 mentioned above.
Anyway I was out hiking just to clear anything and everything :banana:I could find on Yellow Trail from VanNest to West parking lot.
Had the Silky "Katana" and the "Big Boy" with me;)
Cleared at least 10 major obstructions, branches, trees on trail, then just lost count!.
Its clear & rideable now but there are small sticks and debris here and there.
I removed the remaining tree on yellow in Van Nest that was down. Trail conditions are actually much improved south of the lake and the windy conditions should dry things up for the weekend. The surfaces are soft but not muddy. However, Van Nest is still flooded in the usual spots by the river.

Have not been over to Blue, Blue north of the power lines, SOB, Red loop -East Picnic or grail trail area.
The is still a tree down on the red loop east of the picnic area.

Has anybody checked out the East Picnic area lately? The woods has been cleared out along the river and all behind the new pavilion / bathrooms.
Figured that the entrance to BN was wet as Mike wrote above. Last time I rode the lake had flooded blue and the Grail was really swampy wet. Was going to go out today and check the trees down on blue but had to help my Dad.

Maybe tomorrow.

TAS
Looks like you took out another vine tangle as I took out the one I mentioned today. I also took out part of the one near the condemned house but 10 feet up the trail there is another one. Man it is comical clearing those and I was all tangled up in them.

Will concur that van nest is pretty good but man, someone has pissed off the gumball gods BIG TIME. I don't remember a year where it has been quite this bad.

Glad it is drying out before the fair weather fairies come out.

TAS

I beginning to believe that when you start cutting, pulling and dragging those vines they wake up and start fighting back!!
It is beyond comical. it'a a good thing that no one is around ....they might think you have gone berserk!

I am going out today just for a ride no clippers or saws!

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions