Mercer County Park Conditions

Strugglebus

My last ride there, I saw more dead animals in general than I have in 20 years of riding at Mercer, including the fish. Dead deer, fox, squirrels, as well as the aforementioned vulture. It was a little creepy.

Luckily you didn’t come across any people, as they have been turning up at the park lately too.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I noticed the dead fish this morning, kind of concerning...
One dead vulture doesn't really concern me though, everything dies.

I saw ALL of the deer, they seem to be well. (and everywhere)
I also saw some black weaselly muskrat thing run by the trail. That was a first.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
972CE20D-08CB-450F-8730-E8482C6775F4.jpeg

A few less balls in van nest

TAS

I noticed the dead fish this morning, kind of concerning...
One dead vulture doesn't really concern me though, everything dies.

I saw ALL of the deer, they seem to be well. (and everywhere)
I also saw some black weaselly muskrat thing run by the trail. That was a first.

This is the second time I saw a winter die off of those fish here. Happened about the same time last year. I think that they are a species of shad that got stocked in the lake.
If / when the the water temps drop too quickly - into the mid 40's it can shock kill them. When we had the long deep freeze back in Jan the lake was frozen over.
Up until then it wasn't very cold. Shad die off's are fairly common in lakes. Still creepy to see so many piled up in the creek.

RoB

This is the second time I saw a winter die off of those fish here. Happened about the same time last year. I think that they are a species of shad that got stocked in the lake.
If / when the the water temps drop too quickly - into the mid 40's it can shock kill them. When we had the long deep freeze back in Jan the lake was frozen over.
Up until then it wasn't very cold. Shad die off's are fairly common in lakes. Still creepy to see so many piled up in the creek.
I saw a slew of them on the trails, which is what bugged me. Not eaten, either. Like somebody (or thing) put them there for no reason. And not just near the creek.

zmodica

rode this morning the van nest areas. If youre respectful of the trails its 95% rideable..the other 5% get off and walk or completely avoid..dead fox at the beginning (end?) of that dam sprint

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
rode this morning the van nest areas. If youre respectful of the trails its 95% rideable..the other 5% get off and walk or completely avoid..dead fox at the beginning (end?) of that dam sprint
what time were you out there?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions