Mercer County Park Conditions

zmodica

just got home from the Merc..mostly dry, a couple of tacky spots on the blue trails but the park dains nicely ( watched the eagles hunt for a while by the damn too )

MikeyBikey2000

Question for the Mercers... when you come off back of Blue/Blue Trail East, is there a connector trail back to the mud bog? I found a couple but it was absolute swamp so I went out and down 526 back to the park. Is that connector trail always swamp like that? Is there another I missed - couldn't really get down towards the lake under the power lines was unable to pass the massive puddle there.

Mountain Bike Mike

Question for the Mercers... when you come off back of Blue/Blue Trail East, is there a connector trail back to the mud bog? I found a couple but it was absolute swamp so I went out and down 526 back to the park. Is that connector trail always swamp like that? Is there another I missed - couldn't really get down towards the lake under the power lines was unable to pass the massive puddle there.

Does not connect... must take the powerline field / access road to the road / neighborhood

Big Al

Rode Mercer on Saturday. Took care of a few small stumps that had been annoying me. Also cleared a tree across the trail b/n west picnic and marina. There are a bunch of new leaners and widowmakers. One b/n tennis courts and east picnic and another b/n missing bridge and power lines. There is also a tree down on upper blue b/n farmer's field and missing bridge. Van Nest and the rest of the west side of the park seemed pretty good.

TAS

Thanks for the additional info on blue north of the power lines . I did a recon ride Monday to locate downed trees but didn't have enough time to get over there. That widow maker near west picnic is hanging by a thread. Next storm should bring it down(I hope). Will likely take a full team to get the big leaner on Red past the tennis courts - that should wait until scheduled TM on the 18th. Pic Attached
DSCN1197.JPG

I'll try to get the one by the farmers field on Wed and check the other one over there as well. Van Nest, Yellow, Orange, Paxton Twisties and NICA trail sections all clear. East Picnic, Red Loop, Blue, SOB, Grail all clear.

TAS

Got over to Blue North today. Tree near the ponds/power lines has been cleared. The leaning tree at the ponds is looking bad. see attached thumbnail.
The rest of blue north is clear.
DSCN1207.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1200.JPG
    DSCN1200.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 104

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'll try to get the one by the farmers field on Wed and check the other one over there as well. Van Nest, Yellow, Orange, Paxton Twisties and NICA trail sections all clear. East Picnic, Red Loop, Blue, SOB, Grail all clear.[/QUOTE]
Tree down in Van Nest just have the bridge with the U-Turn after it. It is passable.

I saw that one widow maker behind the tennis center at the top of the "hill". Man, that is scary being held up by a 6" dia dead tree.

Last edited:

TAS

Yeah I know that exact spot. Was the stump loose- broken clean? That could be a one cut, drag and done.
That standing deadwood is sometimes tough and nails! I'll check it out tomorrow.

TAS

I'll try to get the one by the farmers field on Wed and check the other one over there as well. Van Nest, Yellow, Orange, Paxton Twisties and NICA trail sections all clear. East Picnic, Red Loop, Blue, SOB, Grail all clear.
Tree down in Van Nest just have the bridge with the U-Turn after it. It is passable.

I saw that one widow maker behind the tennis center at the top of the "hill". Man, that is scary being held up by a 6" dia dead tree.[/QUOTE]
Thats been like that most of the winter and hasn't moved. It's actually supported higher up by other healthy trees. Those "BIG" leaners are really difficult to bring down safely. It's on the target list. We may just wait for that one to fall first! But it is scary to ride under..

zmodica

park was frozen and fast this morning..get it in today and tomorrow, mother nature is going to shut us down for a few days

TAS

Rode Monday before the storm. Park maintenance has cut & cleared the big leaner next to the Tennis Center!
Attached pic is for reference. The tree is gone!

Attachments

• DSCN1165.JPG
    DSCN1165.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 89

viper8315

Rode Monday before the storm. Park maintenance has cut & cleared the big leaner next to the Tennis Center!
Thank you TAS...that was definitely getting scary. We can take this conversation to PM, but what equipment are you carrying along to do this? Are you walking in with a chainsaw, biking in with an ax, etc. ?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I saw that one on Monday and the one in Van Nest. Thanks!

TAS

Thank you TAS...that was definitely getting scary. We can take this conversation to PM, but what equipment are you carrying along to do this? Are you walking in with a chainsaw, biking in with an ax, etc. ?
I always carry a Silky "Big Boy" on my pack. 14 Inch blade.
For the big stuff I have a Silky "Katana". This is a serious saw. 19.8 inch blade. Avg price range $100 - 190. The saws and replacement blades are available on the evil bay.
And they cut! Both these saws are Japanese style blades and only cut on the pull stroke. It takes some practice to get the stroke and pressure timing right. I have no problem cutting trees 10 - 12" (and bigger) Just takes time. The key to using these tools is patience and technique. Plus a great upper body workout!!!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions