Men in Camo with Weapons

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
So Tatum Park in Homdel is a nice little place with grassy fields, some fire roads, and a bit of mellow singletrack. The rolling grass fields make it a perfect place to train for cyclocross if you live close by.

I have a loop there that I use for that exact purpose, and last Thursday I was there in the late afternoon, doing my thing. As I was rounding a corner, pushing pretty hard in the big ring, what do I encounter but two gentlemen in head-to-toe camo gear, wielding compound bows, and clearly not expecting some loony on a bright orange bike in a ballerina suit. Yikes!

A quick swerve and some side-steps and we avoided collision, but I've got to say that I was looking in the trees for stands a lot more often for the rest of that ride. Leave your antlers home in Monmouth County.:D

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Good stuff! A friend and I were out at dusk recently and surprised by a hunter rustling his way out of the brush with a deer slung over one shoulder.

Something very stramge about a dude coming out of the bushes armed and carrying a dead animal. I wish I could have bummed some backstrap!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
what do I encounter but two gentlemen in head-to-toe camo gear, wielding compound bows, and clearly not expecting some loony on a bright orange bike in a ballerina suit. Yikes!
.:D

Had that same thing happen on a night ride at Allaire, many years ago. Except they had crossbows in one hand, 6 packs in the other. That made us feel very safe.:getsome:

walter

Fourth Party
Had that same thing happen on a night ride at Allaire, many years ago. Except they had crossbows in one hand, 6 packs in the other. That made us feel very safe.:getsome:

I had this also. I was cruising through Allaire, stopped to take a drink, when all of a sudden I hear a voice say, "You might not want to ride here on Saturdays". I spun around, didnt see anything. I thought I was going nuts, then I hear, "up here". There he was sitting in the tree like 20 ft above me. Scared the crap out of me.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I had this also. I was cruising through Allaire, stopped to take a drink, when all of a sudden I hear a voice say, "You might not want to ride here on Saturdays". I spun around, didnt see anything. I thought I was going nuts, then I hear, "up here". There he was sitting in the tree like 20 ft above me. Scared the crap out of me.

:rofl: He shouldn't had said he was up there...imagine that!! I would've crapped my pants!

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Just wear really bright clothes if you have them. Some kind of noise maker / bell wouldn't hure either. I would rather be called tinler bell than get shot at or spook an unsuspecting critter. Bear and deer dont react well to getting spooked by people in the woods on bikes.
Not to mention anyone hunting anywhere close to a foot path isn't going to get squat.

mfennell

FYI, it's bow season at Tatum again. Pay attention to the signs and it's easy to stay out of the hunting areas. Don't hold me to this but I think there is only be one bit of riding trail that the hunters can use.

al415

Banned
I know they have warned us for years about caution during hunting season etc. But it has always bothered me that there are people out there that are so untrained and unskilled that they might take a shot before identifying what they are shooting at. I mean, isn't target acquisition one of the most fundamental aspects of marksmanship? Don't these guys have to take some sort of test? It's not as if we are in Colorado and Billy the hunter is taking a scoped shot from almost a mile away at a guy riding in all brown on a furry brown bike. Here in NJ our trails and woods are pretty compact by comparison... Maybe there should be a flash-card test at the gun / bow shop: The guys that can't distinguish between a person on a bicycle and a hooved animal only get to hunt with water balloons. Personally I think indiscriminate shooting should be reserved for zombie movies. :getsome:

fasterthanliam

I know they have warned us for years about caution during hunting season etc. But it has always bothered me that there are people out there that are so untrained and unskilled that they might take a shot before identifying what they are shooting at. I mean, isn't target acquisition one of the most fundamental aspects of marksmanship? Don't these guys have to take some sort of test? It's not as if we are in Colorado and Billy the hunter is taking a scoped shot from almost a mile away at a guy riding in all brown on a furry brown bike. Here in NJ our trails and woods are pretty compact by comparison... Maybe there should be a flash-card test at the gun / bow shop: The guys that can't distinguish between a person on a bicycle and a hooved animal only get to hunt with water balloons. Personally I think indiscriminate shooting should be reserved for zombie movies. :getsome:
New Jersey has testing for bow and separate testing for firearms. With all this talk and posting concerns does anybody know of a documented shooting of biker or hiker. I am a hunter and biker . I could identify a biker or a hiker instantly . Whether or not I took the shoot would be determined by the size of your rack .:rolleyes: The point is the hunters have been there a long time and kept some of these parks open with fees and license money before mtbs were in the equation. I ride more than i hunt by far and have noticed very few hunters, mostly mid fall during archery season. Firearm season blaze orange is law . Some parks only allow archery , the hunters preferred time of hunting is dawn and dusk . Mid day would be the best time to avoid most hunters. So get out there and ride.

Top Bottom