MDR Trail Conditions, 3/19/10

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks for the update Steve... I plan on riding tomorrow in the a.m.

Man, 'wish I could see ya' Spence!

Got the "bunny brunch" fundraiser thing for my wife's woman's club in the AM, then it is work all weekend long...standing up a HUGE data center this weekend...woo-hoo!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Rode the North side of the park today. Pretty darn wet in spots, but still a good time. I suspect that the park will need some time to really dry out after this coming rain.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a tree down on the WMA side closest to Weldon rd, bout 1/2 mile from the rail bed. and the last trail on the right goin out the rail bed towards the pine swamp also has a downed tree.

Not sure of the protocol, but can I propose a trail on the WMA side of the Railbed, there is a lot of parkland there to make a nice trail to bypass the railbed.

Shaggz

A strong 7
WMAs are a different animal. Norm A (trailhead) is the JORBA POC, and you way want to speak to him. I saw the tree down, and was planning on contacting MCP today. Too big for Brad and I to move it.

va_bank

4/3/2010 - North side of Weldon Rd.

Really wet, especially in lower areas. Watch out for those puddles - some look about an inch deep, due to leaves floating under the surface, but turn out to be as deep as a foot! Some people saw me trying to ride through one - I have to go see if I'm on Youtube now (search for "Dumbass biker tries to cross deep water"). Hopefully it will dry up by next Saturday.

I'm still not 100% familiar with all the trails, so ended up getting lost a couple of times. Some parts of the smaller trails are covered in debree, fallen tree branches, or generally washed out. Many trail markers have faded to almost being invisible.

Bring sunscreen and bugspray. It was a sunny day, but the leaves haven't come in yet - I got mild sunburn. Bugs seem to be coming out already as well.

P.S. The guy who was riding with a baby strapped to his chest - if you're reading this, you're my hero. Also saw you catch up to your wife - so obviously she was on board with this - my hat's off to her too.

lilbuj

Too funny.

As I passed you I was curious if you were on MTBNJ. Liam our 6 month old and I had fun on the trail bed. So did my wife and Olin our 2 year old. Liam slept for a quite a bit of it. I need to get a decent single wheel trailer with suspension so I can take the two boys on the good single track trails in the park. But Liam needs to grow a bit before that happens.

Joshua

Last edited:

va_bank

As I passed you I was curious if you were on MTBNJ. Liam our 6 month old and I had fun on the trail bed. So did my wife and Olin our 2 year old. Liam slept for a quite a bit of it. I need to get a decent single wheel trailer with suspension so I can take the two boys on the good single track trails in the park. But Liam needs to grow a bit before that happens.

Joshua

Cool, you are reading this :)

I'd be interested in such trailer as well - although I'm not sure what a single wheel trailer is. I have the two-wheel kind for street riding and my kids love it (2 & 5 y.o.), but I wouldn't bring that to off-road places. If you find such a thing, please PM me - I'm going to look for one as well.

North Side.

Went out on the North side for a full tour on Monday. The worst part is the northern most trail between the rail bed and the Pine swamp trail (or the highest point tr.) Lots TM is needed for water management.

I just rode around the tree on the trail coming out of the wma, no worries there.

I haven't ridden the south side yet in 0 ten. Maybe today. See what the Pic. grp. has in mind.

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
South side is pretty much dry. A few damp spots coming down Stone Gate still, but pretty good.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
South side is pretty much dry. A few damp spots coming down Stone Gate still, but pretty good.

So after I ran into you I rode stone gate, then went down the white trail....Caught my front tire between two rocks and pulled the tire off the rim. Ok no biggie....Then I looked back and realized that I left my bag with my tubes, co2, etc..on my paragon which I rode the night before. So I had to walk out. I took what I think is called the "H" trail. I dont know, the left turn at the 4 way intersection at the end of the white trail. Dont go that way unless you are on foot, its mostly underwater.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
So after I ran into you I rode stone gate, then went down the white trail....Caught my front tire between two rocks and pulled the tire off the rim. Ok no biggie....Then I looked back and realized that I left my bag with my tubes, co2, etc..on my paragon which I rode the night before. So I had to walk out. I took what I think is called the "H" trail. I dont know, the left turn at the 4 way intersection at the end of the white trail. Dont go that way unless you are on foot, its mostly underwater.

Bummer...

Yeah, that must've been the Highlands trail...should only be on that part of the Highlands when on foot :)

It was pretty funny last evening as I was rolling down Devil's Staircase...I heard my name get called out, but had not looked far enough down the trail to see you. I thought that I had a new voice coming to visit inside my head :D

BAIN

Yesterday

Parking lot around Saffin Pond counter clockwise
Fire roads to the Wall
Fire road to White
Right on White back to 4 way intersection (one of the best trails at MD)
Right to go back to the wall fire road
Fire road again back to stone gate
Rail bed back to car

One section of stone gate was completely soaked and really messed up from people riding through, but besides that all is well!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
One section of stone gate was completely soaked and really messed up from people riding through, but besides that all is well!

'Should've seen that a week ago!

I did the North outer loop including Cascade today and blasted down the rail bed to get home in time for dinner :D

Cascade has a few damp spots, still, but is okay. I can't believe how "rooty" Cascade is...lots of dirt eroded away. The rest was mostly a damp spot here and there, nothing *too* bad, except for that one area NW of highpoint (that is wet seemingly always). It is like a freaking lake there...a little hike-a-bike and you're fine.

The rail bed is soaked in many places, especially on the north end near the 4-way (WMA entrance intersection). 'Never seen so much water stick around in those spots.

She's ride-able but gotta' say, she looks a little tired as a result of the storms :(

The Blood Trail...

Called by some... Anrothar's alley by others.... Called the Cascade trail by J. Lenosky. Whatever you call it I rode it today (4-10) and it's really really wet and soft in many extended areas. Like off the bike and walk type of wet. Not the kind of wet trail with a firm bottom, we're talking black stinky icky stuff under the wet. One area could probably be moved to higher ground where people are starting to ride anyway, other areas could possibly be armored up....

The point is that it's wetter than heck. And did I say stinky!

Other parts of the north side are drying nicely, and this dry breezy weather will only help.

Last edited:

I'm guessing down by the bridge.... since that's usually soggy anyway. Did you have your snorkel? Sometimes a hike out can be nicely meditating, but I'd rather ride out anyday. Plenty of good mind smoothing in that.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions