MDR Trail Conditions, 3/19/10

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Route Taken: Ball Field->The Wall->Stone Gate->Rail Bed->Saffin->Yellow to cut off towards 3-Stone->Turtle->Ball Field

General Conditions: Dry & damp but firm. Occasional wet spots that can, for the most part, be ridden around or briefly hike-a-biked through. Blow down minimal. Most damage is rutting from erosion...some of these trails were clearly creeks/rivers during the storm(s).

Specifics:

• The Wall - Good shape. Some erosion near the bottom.
  • Creek Crossing on the way to Stone Gate - I was fearing this could be impassable, but no, it is fine. The water is shallow enough to step your way across, yet deep enough, if you ride your feet are going to get wet. Mine did.
  • Stone Gate - A lot of smaller blow down that I cleared. Two big blow downs, though: One, is along side of the trail and doesn't block it (sad, it'd been a good obstacle if it had actually blocked the trail); the other has been there since last fall (just past the first rock ridge as you're riding clock-wise)...I need to drag Shaggz up there and clear it. There are a few soft spots on the downhill portion (again riding clock-wise) so keep an eye out for those.
  • Devil's Staircase: It is a river. You could ride most of the way down hugging the right shoulder, I think. A little flooded at the bottom. I walked it.
  • Asphalt Bridge Near Rock Rill - This thing is trashed and it look like it has been patched up. Do NOT attempt to drive a car across it, you'll be tearing sh!t off your car.
  • Asphalt Bridge to Railbed - Several damp spots and heavy erosion.
  • Rail Bed - Fine...a few damp spots.
  • Yellow east of Saffin (towards camp area) - The first section shortly after Saffin going east was pretty soft. Not many of us frequent that fire road stretch...'probably should avoid it for another day or two.
  • The rest of the ride was as described in general conditions.
I didn't have time to hit Cascade or much in the north end of the park. I *think* I saw Luke & Joe's cars @ Saffin, so maybe they'll have something to add if that was them about the North side of Weldon.

I plan on hitting Cascade and portions of the North loop tomorrow AM, so if nobody else hit those today, I should have a report posted mid-to-late morning.

'Net is that, for the south side of Weldon, mount up and be nice to the wet spots :rolleyes: The place is in much better shape than I am :(

MannyL358

• Stone Gate - A lot of smaller blow down that I cleared. Two big blow downs, though: One, is along side of the trail and doesn't block it (sad, it'd been a good obstacle if it had actually blocked the trail);
I'm hoping it stays because it makes for a perfect skinny obstacle. :)

I *think* I saw Luke & Joe's cars

I wonder if it was GTluke who almost ran me over toward the end of Stonegate? :hmmm:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm hoping it stays because it makes for a perfect skinny obstacle. :)

I'm pretty sure it will stay there. We don't want the park to remove it no matter what as they'll trash stone gate getting their gator up there if they were to remove it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome, thanks for the write up tim.

luke and company came over my house after work for a byobbq, so it wasn't us.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Awesome, thanks for the write up tim.

luke and company came over my house after work for a byobbq, so it wasn't us.

Alrighty then....I'm going up to check Cascade and general conditions on the north side...'will post up in a few hours.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Update, 3/20/10

My merry band of fat boys had a mechanical this AM that cut my recon short, but we did manage to run Cascade and see a little more of the north end.

There is a blow down blocking Cascade about mid-way. Easy to get around, and to be honest, we need to consider moving the trail up the hill a little bit there anyway.

It is also very wet approaching the very bottom and most of the fall-line climbs running CCW (e.g. up through the ferns). Some bikes have created a few ruts already. I'm not saying don't ride Cascade, but be on the lookout for these wet spots and please stay out of them. Also, as discovered south of Weldon yesterday, there is quite a bit of rutting from erosion. Even a novice trail builder like me can see where work needs to be done to improve the sustainability of this trail.

I didn't make it up to do the North loop, but based on what I saw yesterday morning (white near Sparta Mtn. Road is a creek) from the road and the amount of water I saw on Cascade, I will speculate that the NE area of the park (east of Anrothar's Alley) is very soggy.

Shaggz

A strong 7
3/22: Rode most of the hotspots this AM. Conditions similar to Tim's observations. TBH, I don't think the rain will alter the conditions all that much, as the trails are holding up surprisingly well. My main concern ATM, is the middle section of Cascade near the stream.

Spylab

Great writeup; neat to see that Tim's original run through MD South is the exact route I take on my "after work" rides during peak season. Sounds pretty on target with what I would expect; being the rocky and steep park it is I figured that water would move out pretty quickly. the only part not mentioned that I can imagine being pretty messy is Stone Gate, after the mossy rock traverse en route to the Staircase. I can recall a number of times where the whole park is pretty firm except for this section and Devil's.

Even so, with the rain we've got coming down today and tomorrow, I think I will move my first ride of the season at MD back to this weekend or next week sometime.

Thanks for the details, I will definitely be in for TM this year I promise!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
There were some soft spots on the downhill (CW) portion (after the mossy rock, which I don't ride over) of Stone Gate as mentioned. The soft spots weren't extensive for the most part...there was one slightly extended messy spot, but it is in a rock garden.

Shaggz

A strong 7
3/25: Up & Down Stone Gate & the Wall (re-route)

Conditions similar to previously posted. The Rock Garden section before the mossy rock (as you climb) is still a bt moist, but better than earlier in the week. There are a LOT of leaves and small sticks down on the trail so be careful.

Stocky

3/25: Up & Down Stone Gate & the Wall (re-route)

Conditions similar to previously posted. The Rock Garden section before the mossy rock (as you climb) is still a bt moist, but better than earlier in the week. There are a LOT of leaves and small sticks down on the trail so be careful.

I'd love to hit that place with some rakes and a leaf blower .

Shaggz

A strong 7
Go ahead, it could really, really use it. Let me know if/when you plan on going out there. Maybe I can join you. Regardless need to track the PD hours.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ill fire up the 3d printer and make some handlebar mounts for the blower :)

Keep me posted as well, ill come out and help.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was up there this afternoon. Passed group of 3 riders. Saw stratocaster's car, but didn't run into him.

Aat

Yeah, I put alot of time into my Adopt-A-Trail duties on the Cascade Tr. this week. I'm listed for the Yellow trail also but havn't reconnoitered any of that yet. Saw some nasty motorized vehicle tracks in some areas too, no doubt the park is doing some early maintanence... I put in a suggestion that they walk in till the park firms up.

Oh...btw.... from what I've been told the leaves are actually a good thing.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions