MDR Trail Conditions, 1/23/10

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Played around south of Weldon this AM.

There is still a surprising amount of snow & ice up there, mostly where there isn't a lot of sun. About a 1 to 1.5 inch layer of crunchy/icy snow in places.

However, there is also a lot of clear...and where it is, it is firm and fast. The Wall & Stone Gate are in fine shape with only a few places that are a little sketchy...like the bottom of the Devil's Staircase.

At any rate, it is all perfectly rideable (w/o the Nokians :)). Keep an eye out for icy patches, get up there when it is still frozen, and enjoy. I didn't run anything on the North side, but I'd imagine that there is quite a bit of snow/ice on the North loop...'saw a few other bike racks in the lots today so if anybody got up there please chime in.

There will certainly places that will get a little wet as it warms and the remaining ice & snow melts. I'd speculate that it won't be *too* bad as MDR drains pretty well, but for this weekend, I'd stay on the safe side and get out on it whilst it is below freezing--especially if you're schlepping a distance to get up here.

It does look like some folks were out and about up here earlier in the week when it was certainly too mushy.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions