MB, Google Earth, Custom Maps & GPS Data

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Unfinished Wildlife Management Area Loop. Still have to GPS a few more sections.

Attachments

• wma_section_1.kmz
    1.4 KB · Views: 716
  • wma_section_2.kmz
    1,008 bytes · Views: 503
Last edited:

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Trail to Headly Overlook and a waypoint for Headly Overlook.

Attachments

• trail_to_headly_overlook.kmz
    602 bytes · Views: 453
  • headly_overlook_waypoint.kmz
    450 bytes · Views: 489

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Here's a loop as well as a continuation back to Weldon road leading you to the other side of the park.

Attachments

• md_loop_1.kmz
    3.7 KB · Views: 490
  • mk_section_1.kmz
    815 bytes · Views: 477

Jason

JORBA.ORG
10 Mile loop

Attachments

• mahlon_10mile_loop.kmz
    10.3 KB · Views: 566

SpartaBard

MD GPS Data

I have inventoried all of the trails within MD. I believe I have every trail here, please let me know if I have missed any. I do not have the trails for the adjoining WMAs but they are on my TO DO list. I plan on doing Weldon Brook WMA, Sparta Mtn WMA, and I am hoping that Anrothar has enough data already for Rockaway River WMA.

Keep in mind that there are quite a few trails that are not on the official MD park map that I have included.

Attachments

• Mahlon Dickerson Trails.kmz
    41.6 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:

SpartaBard

surrounding WMAs

Here are two files that contain gps data for Rockaway River wma (east side) and Weldon Brook wma (west side) surrounding Mahlon Dickerson. To the north of the park is Sparta Mountain wma, which I am planning on completing eventually.

These two files are most likely not all-inclusive and will be updated as I map out missing trails.

Sean please give the rr wma a once over to see if there are any obvious trails missing. I know at least one trail that is missing from WB.

Attachments

• Rockaway River WMA.kmz
    45.8 KB · Views: 569
  • Weldon Brook wma.kmz
    21.1 KB · Views: 521

Shaggz

A strong 7
Please post your GPS data, etc. in here, along with a brief description of the route (mileage, pace, skill level, etc). Posts that do not stay on topic will be deleted at the discretion of the Mods :getsome:

SpartaBard

I have already posted a few files in the thread tilted: "Trail Maps"

Shagg-Man, do you want to move the posts around and consolidate?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
here is a motionbased link to one of my favorite loops in mahlon. it's a little over 17 miles, and includes, i feel, the best features of the park. some decent climbing, some technical, some smooth and flowy, a good amount of singletrack, and a good amount of fireroad. it can be extended as well.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2811654

and a .kmz file to go straight to google earth:

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
here's a bypass to the annoying powerline climb in the weldon brook wma section. it extends the ride by about 6/10ths of a mile. it's all double track, a little overgrown with grasses right now. the soil is held together really well though. it's by and far a much more pleasant way to get to that point, and includes more, but easier and more enjoyable climbing.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for those without google earth(it's free), here's a description of where the above trail is.

riding the typical wma loop counter clockwise, you hit some rolling hills with slickrock sections. then you come to a very loose, gravelly, short climb. at the top of this short climb, turn right. you can't miss the trail, the trailhead is huge. continue straight on this, descending. when you can see the swampy area in front of you, bear left about 3/4 of the way down the slope, on a visible old road. ride across an easy technical section(just pedal), then left up the hill. this will bring you to the powerlines, where you will again turn left to meet up with the usual loop, at the top of the dreaded powerline climb, which you are cleverly avoiding.

SpartaBard

Quote:

riding the typical wma loop counter clockwise, you hit some rolling hills with slickrock sections. then you come to a very loose, gravelly, short climb. at the top of this short climb, turn right. you can't miss the trail, the trailhead is huge. continue straight on this Passing the first left turn (wait for the swampy/stream area), descending. when you can see the swampy area in front of you, bear left about 3/4 of the way down the slope, on a visible old road. ride across an easy technical section(just pedal), then left up the hill. this will bring you to the powerlines, where you will again turn left to meet up with the usual loop, at the top of the dreaded powerline climb, which you are cleverly avoiding.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IDBrian's custom PDF route...

Attachments

• MD Route.pdf
    356.9 KB · Views: 725

idbrian

Crotch Rot
The map you posted Norm should be taken down. That was a route that i planned to take and i put it up to ask for suggestions. I don't think, from what Fogerson was saying, that the powerlines part is even accurate. I wouldn't want to mislead people.

bill-now

Doomed
The "follow power-lines" section is marginally passable during drought conditions. A much drier path requires going further West before going South. DAMHIKT.

The map you posted Norm should be taken down. That was a route that i planned to take and i put it up to ask for suggestions. I don't think, from what Fogerson was saying, that the powerlines part is even accurate. I wouldn't want to mislead people.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've taken this route twice in the past two weeks just gotta get off and walk the beaver dam when the water is high, but have ridden before 15yrs ago...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions