Maxxis Forekaster....thoughts for XC racing.

terrabike01

Anyone running the new Maxxis Forekaster? Was thinking about trying it as a rear tire for XC races. Looking for something that is going to take some abuse and not get gutted open like a fish after 2 miles. Currently running Ardent race in the front and a Minion SS in rear. Both are holding up well. Ran an Ikon on the rear and it lasted one race. Thoughts on the Forekaster?

I’ve dumped all plumper tires. Maxxis 29x2.0 race tt with exo have held up to tons of rocks from stoopid 50 and hop brook. They are super rad on hard pack too.

I’ve dumped all plumper tires. Maxxis 29x2.0 race tt with exo have held up to tons of rocks from stoopid 50 and hop brook. They are super rad on hard pack too.
Hmmmm..I never gave this tire any thought. Looks similar to the Ikon. I would probably go with the 2.20 version which is a little heavy. But if it means finishing a race without a flat its a winner for me. Might give it a shot. Thanks Dave!

Ive been happy with Forekaster & Ardent Race combo. It's a good "fast trail" set up. You can certainly do better on rolling resistance depending on what your races/trails look like. But being up in North Jersey and not changing my tires out for conditions I wanted something that could handle 90% of what Ill come across.

Im fortunate to have some "plus" wheels/tires I can swap in if things really get ugly. But Im on the Forkaster/Ardent Race (29") for 95% of the time.

I've always had good luck w/ Maxxis tires. I think I have one or two rides on the Ardent Race so far and really liked it. Thats w/ an ikon out back. Haven't tried a forekaster yet. But everyone's riding style (along w/ rider weight) is different, so what you enjoy riding on will be different than us. For instance, I've never flatted an Ikon tire like you have, but I couldnt seem to go one race w/o a flat on the Racing Ralphs to save my life, obviously, unlike Iggy and a lot of other people. And if we're talking racing, and not riding...I'll always opt for a slightly heavier or more aggressive tire if it means I don't flat in a race. The time you lose in rotating weight is nothing compared to fixing a flat :)

I've run 2.35 Forekasters (front & rear) on my FS Specialized Epic 29er for the past 1.5 years and have been very happy. I ride the classic northern NJ rocky, rooty stuff and they've held up well, no flats, plenty of traction, etc.

Back
Top Bottom