Maximum length of a thread title.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lol @Dajerseyrat even if they are the “Walmart wheels” of carbon (and I have no carbon to judge by) you still got some carbon wheels and that’s pretty sweet. Unless you’re riding insane downhill rock gardens on the reg those things will probably last you a life time...if not, you got the i9 out of it!

qclabrat

So before china carbon flooded the market, only a few companies f'ed with carbon, first with aluminum brake track and then full carbon rims. During this time, Reynolds was the bottom of the barrel. However, maybe easton was lower due to the high number of broken spokes and rims. In any case, Reynolds was budget brand.

Since that time, I really have no idea on who falls where other than ENVE and ZIPP and niche brands being the top / near the top.
What are the advantages of a full carbon wheel vs ones with AL brake tracks? I'm interested in rim brake wheels for road not disc.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What are the advantages of a full carbon wheel vs ones with AL brake tracks? I'm interested in rim brake wheels for road not disc.
Better braking and I think it took a long time for them to figure out how to not de-lam the carbon when it heats from braking. I have had excellent luck with the shimano c24’s, which are carbon with a alum brake track. I got them for $700? So it doesn’t make sense to be to buy $2k+ zipps or enve.

That being said, curious about those zipp 302’s at $1200.

Dajerseyrat

I used to have those old school Spin wheels back in the 90s. They weren't carbon, but were a composite plastic fused to an aluminum braking rim. Over time they warped and you couldn't true them at all.

thegock

I blew up my Reynolds ULMV32C rear rim on a 92 degree day coming down the front side of Slide Mt. into Big Indian just above the parking lot the hikers use. Tube blew out in the heat and destroyed the entire rim. Scary. Rode it out and stayed up.

Last edited:

Dajerseyrat

I blew up my Reynolds ULMV32C rear rim on a 92 degree day coming down the front side of Slide Mt. into Big Indian just above the parking lot the hikers use. Tube blew out in the heat and destroyed the entire rim. Scary. Rode it out and stayed up.
Yeah but you're a savage bro!!

Dajerseyrat

Lol @Dajerseyrat even if they are the “Walmart wheels” of carbon (and I have no carbon to judge by) you still got some carbon wheels and that’s pretty sweet. Unless you’re riding insane downhill rock gardens on the reg those things will probably last you a life time...if not, you got the i9 out of it!
I just set 13 PRs including a #2 spot for the year and #1 for my weight class(225 to 249) for a 7.4 mile loop. That may not seem like much to most, but it's small goals for me at my level. I also feel like I Got the bike dialed in pretty good, I sat it a little more into it's sag, and started the ride with 16psi front and 18.5psi rear, but wound up with 11psi front and 10 psi rear at the end of the ride cause that Finish Line Sealant just sucks balls, but that's for another thread. (I know why they named it finish line, cause your lucky if you make it to the finish line)
I honestly don't know if the CF wheels made a difference, the tires or if it was all a plecebo effect. Or perhaps the motivation of my newly acquired title of MTBNJ's most hated. Come to think of it I did keep hearing "We are the champions" playing over and over in my head. Hmmm...
Anyhow it's all irrelevant cause I'm sure the resident asshole internet troll will come on here and shit on me to make himself feel better,and tell me how I didnt have my "time correction" set properly or how my sag and tire pressure was totally wrong...??
So...fuck it anyway. I'm enjoying my carbon wheels I suppose..

choop

I feel like I missed getting in on the other thread when it mattered. So I shall voice all of my opinions now.

I have had Reynolds Assaults on my road bike for 3 or 4 years now. They have been flawless. Considering their price point now, Reynolds are definitely a "budget" or "value" carbon wheelset. You can get roadie wheels for 1300 now with a lifetime warranty, which makes them much different from most china carbon. I don't know who was making their hubs for them, but they roll forever. I also have no idea about there mtb stuff but I would assume they are worth the cash based on my experience.

I feel like I was supposed to be more jerkish and squandered an opportunity here.

Top Bottom