Massage / Chiropractics / Accupuncture

olegbabich

I use to get back pain after long rides. I mean really bad muscle spasms and cramps.

My wife would give massage and walk on my back to get rid of the knots. Heat Pad would also help.

I started going to gym and made a commitment to build up the core. I got to 100 sit ups per day 3 -4 days a week.

Never got a six pack, but my back pain is mostly gone.

huffster

I started going to gym and made a commitment to build up the core. I got to 100 sit ups per day 3 -4 days a week.

A couple years back, I went to a really good PT and it didn't take long to realize that every stretch/exercise he was prescribing was all about "the core". At the end of each visit he would also do some specific stretching/manipulating. Is it wrong if I say: "That man had magical hands?":eek:

I went several times and it helped, but then realized I did not need to pay a $40 co-pay, 3 times a week. Damn, Plant Fitness is $10/mo. But, I got the direction I needed to understand the right way to do certain exercises.

I can honestly say that when I focused on it, it really made a difference. My problem is that I find the gym completely boring. So, if I can, I ride...and then those core exercises get skipped.

rayder

Chiropractic and acupuncture are both rooted in the same principle, but different approaches. The curriculum at the better chiropractic schools is pretty rigorous, approaching med-school levels. I know plenty of people with diagnosed back issues, meaning diagnosed by an orthopedist, who've benefited from chiropractic adjustment. From the sounds of it though, your issues are more in line with what any other active person would encounter. Despite how much we think we know about exercise, you will benefit from a good physical therapist. A good PT will explain the issue, and show you how to open up flexibility and strengthen accessory muscles. This is another field where the education is very rigorous, and the internships are competitive. A good PT is worth their weight in gold, and your insurance will cover most of it.

rayder

Insurance is not guaranteed to cover most of it. My orthopedist wanted me to go five times a week and I think my insurance co-pay was $75. The physical therapist said that that was an in network co-pay. I went back to my chiropractor

ktmrider

I go to a place out here in my area called "the joint ", It's a chiropractor that is a 5 minute in and out . I flash a bar code on a card and go in and get on a table . I go 2 times a week . It's 60 bucks a month and comes with 4 visits a month and anything over is 10 bucks a visit . I'm in and out in 5-10 minutes . I highly recommend Chiropractic work . I never went when east because of time . This fits my situation .

walter

Fourth Party
Just about 10 years ago I was riding solo at Allaire, I was coming out on the paved fire road and riding wheelies. On the last one I flipped, still clipped in, flat on my back. I was hurt. Bad. I layed there for a few minutes, made sure everything was still working, then practically crawled back to my car. In the 40 minute ride home I developed this growth at the bottom of my spine, just above my right butt cheek. When I got home I showed my wife and she almost passed out. The next morning I went to see the P. A. at my work and she told me to immediately see my real doctor. My doctor took one look and sent me for an MRI. I don’t quite remember what the diagnosis was, but they ended up sending me for PT. After a bunch of sessions the lump went away but the pain never was really gone.

Fast forward like 7 years and the pain was gradually getting worse. I would stretch, take pills and do all the exercises I learned in pt but nothing helped. My wife finally convinced my to see a chiropractor. On my 5th visit, he got my hip to pop and it was immediate relief. Like, a warm feeling running down your leg relief.

That was August of 16, I go about once a month for a cracking and I love it.

olegbabich

About 15 yrs ago Mrs Oleg brought home a Teeter Inversion Table. I think she paid $15 at a Garage Sale. I hang upside down and wiggle a little bit like a fish on a line for 90sec. This works well to relieve back pain.

I especially need to hang upside down after a day long dirt bike ride, when I feel 2 inches shorter.

rick81721

Lothar
Update on this thread since I've been having lower back issues. I decided to give one a try as I figured it shouldn't make it worse, and if it doesn't work then go to a real doc for evaluation/PT. Lower back pain started after a long mountain bike ride - primarily on the left side, with some pain shooting down the leg. It was painful to bend over, put on socks, get in and out of car, etc. After the first episode, doing nothing it got better in 2 weeks, pretty much gone. Then a second long mtb ride and it returned, this time not improving as quickly. The chiro does xrays (at least real ones this time), points out the usual "subluxations" and prescribes a treatment plan. Since it included muscular treatment, stretches and exercises (basically the same as PT) in addition to the "adjustments", I gave it a shot. Bottom line - 6 weeks in and similar results to placebo (no treatment) - back gradually improves, but then a long ride (this time my birthday ride 3.5 hrs) results in a setback. As I think the muscular stimulation, exercises/stretching and now rolling will be beneficial longer-term (and they have a great masseuse, had a fantastic massage), I'm sticking with it for another month or so, but this re-affirms my belief that the spinal "adjustment" part of chiropractor is nonsense and does nothing.

Top Bottom