Mario Cuomo bridge (formerly Tappan Zee) Petition

Kaleidopete

Sometime later in 2019, a new cycling amenity will open across the Hudson River between Rockland and Westchester counties.
The new bike/ped Shared Use Path (SUP) on the Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge promises to be
huge. How big? A similar cycling path in Poughkeepsie, The Walkway Over The Hudson, gets 500,000-
600,000 visitors a year. The MCB SUP is longer (3.1 miles) offers 6 scenic viewing areas, and joins two populous counties.
With most of the focus being on the recreational cycling and tourism it will produce, very little attention has been
paid to the SUP as transportation corridor to support bicycle commuting in the Lower Hudson Valley.
There is a petition on Change.org to ask NYS Governor Cuomo to permit 24/7 bicycle access across the new
bridge. Please read and consider signing "24/7 Commuter Bicycle Access for the Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge,"
to add your name to those who support expanded hours for the Shared Use Path. Here are a few reasons why:
It's the green thing to do. Among the groups endorsing this position are the Sierra Club -- Lower Hudson Group
and the Village of Nyack Sustainability Committee (https://nyack-ny.gov/shared-use-path/).
It will encourage bicycle commuting. The more people who ride any bicycle at anytime, the safer it is for all cyclists
all of the time.
It's good for employers and employees: 24/7 access will expand the pool of people who can work shift work/
service jobs; expands employment opportunities for people who don't have cars.
The SUP should be open 24/7 just like all other bridges in the NY Metropolitan Planning Area (NYMTC) These bike
paths include include the Williamsburg, Brooklyn, RFK, and the Koch Bridges. All are 24/7, with the exception of
the George Washington Bridge (The GWB path is open from 6a-12m for post-9/11 security reasons that don't apply
to the new bridge).
It makes sense that this new bridge, built to meet the needs of the community for the next 100 years, should be
governed by policies that embrace the challenge of the current century and not repeat the mistakes of the last one.

The link to the petition if you'd like to sign it.
http://chng.it/PkCBTjbXg5

Ian F

Can we start another petition to change the name back to Tappan Zee?

#forevertappanzee

I didn't know there was going to be a pedestrian/bike path on the new bridge - good to hear, but I'll sign the petition. Has an operational time been proposed? I don't see anything on the petition site. Or is this still under discussion by the bridge authority?

Kaleidopete

#forevertappanzee

I didn't know there was going to be a pedestrian/bike path on the new bridge - good to hear, but I'll sign the petition. Has an operational time been proposed? I don't see anything on the petition site. Or is this still under discussion by the bridge authority?
All they're saying is late 2019

serviceguy

With Rick or the writer of the article?

Not surprisingly the writer of that article did not make his research, just relayed some info that wasn't accurate to begin with. Nothing new there.

First of all, sfaccimm is not an Italian word, it's very much specific to Naples (not the one in Florida) and literally means sperm (not in a scientific way). It's used both as a vulgar name for, well, that, or as to refer to scum or something filthy and unworthy.

I guess that determining if the nickname fits the politician will be left to each ones personal ideas, I wasn't in the country during his reign and I've heard people speaking both badly and enthusiastically about him so I haven't got a clue...just an opinion!

P.S. Why they can't leave names of landmarks alone?

Dingo

With Rick or the writer of the article?

Not surprisingly the writer of that article did not make his research, just relayed some info that wasn't accurate to begin with. Nothing new there.

First of all, sfaccimm is not an Italian word, it's very much specific to Naples (not the one in Florida) and literally means sperm (not in a scientific way). It's used both as a vulgar name for, well, that, or as to refer to scum or something filthy and unworthy.

I guess that determining if the nickname fits the politician will be left to each ones personal ideas, I wasn't in the country during his reign and I've heard people speaking both badly and enthusiastically about him so I haven't got a clue...just an opinion!

P.S. Why they can't leave names of landmarks alone?
Not a fan of Cuomo, for one. Not a fan of changing the name of landmarks especially, to a politician's name. Not a fan of forgetting history that is 300+ years old.

It derives its name from the Tappan Native American sub-tribe of the Delaware/Lenni Lenape, and the Dutch word zee, meaning a sea.
On September 14, 1609, the explorer Henry Hudson entered the Tappan Zee while sailing upstream from New York Harbor. At first, Hudson believed the widening of the river indicated that he had found the Northwest Passage. He proceeded upstream as far as present-day Troy before concluding that no such strait existed there.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Can we start another petition to change the name back to Tappan Zee?

Honestly i never loved tappan zee. As much as I'd rather have the bridge named for a native Americen tribe over a recent governor, it's a bad amalgamation of Dutch and Indigenous wording that doesn't make any sense. Why the original bridge (and that part of the Hudson) wasn't name the Tappan Sea / Tappan Bridge is beyond me, and I cant imagine the Tappan people liking a Dutch name thrown onto their own given the disgusting pavonia massacre and other attacks on the natives by the dutch.

goldsbar

Forget the name. Can we figure out why they decided to build a bridge at the absolute widest point of the river?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so this is an interesting question: without the political crap.

Cost of simplicity vs length.

Considering it is a bunch of driven piles, with sections set on top, with one more complicated truss sections,
vs a suspension bridge at a more narrow part.

bear mt bridge worked with the landscape - it is less than a 1/2 mile long, and 150' above the river. approaching 100th anniversary.
The new T-Z bridge is 3.1 miles long. (cost $4B total - but that included dealing with re-routing the road.)
GWB 4760' (twice the bear mt bridge) 87 yrs old for upper level - $1.1B c1931

unfortunately, i am having trouble finding a recently build suspension of cable-stay bridge to compare costs!!

oh well, saw some cool bridges on the internet :D

petition signed.

Ian F

... it's a bad amalgamation of Dutch and Indigenous wording that doesn't make any sense.

So what you're saying is the name is quintessentially "American"? ;)

Amusingly, I noticed all of the signs on the Thruway heading south still say "Tappan-Zee".

The new pending biking/pedestrian lane on the bridge is good to hear about, although I am not very familiar with what the cycling roads are like on each side.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The new pending biking/pedestrian lane on the bridge is good to hear about, although I am not very familiar with what the cycling roads are like on each side.
On the NJ side, you have 9W, on the NY side you have the South County Greenway,
which will carry you to Van Cortland Park,
and from there it's not difficult to connect to the Hudson River Greenway.

Sets up for a pretty nice loop GWB to TZ.

Top Bottom