Map of ringwood to ramapo

roc

anyone know where I can download a map that has the kinda new white trail? Also, is there any map that shows both ringwood and skyline drive trails?

roc

Thank you!
If you stay on yellow heading away from skyline drive when it splits from red, does that lead you out to a overlook where you can see New York? I don't think I've been on that trail in 5-10 years, if I remember correctly, that's about the hardest trail in ringwood, right? Really rocky on a ridge line with a ton of rock gardens?
How far do you think it is from skyline to that lookout on yellow? About how far do you think it is from skyline all the way to the top of the new white trail by blue, if you take yellow all the way to yellow white to blue?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thank you!
If you stay on yellow heading away from skyline drive when it splits from red, does that lead you out to a overlook where you can see New York? I don't think I've been on that trail in 5-10 years, if I remember correctly, that's about the hardest trail in ringwood, right? Really rocky on a ridge line with a ton of rock gardens?
How far do you think it is from skyline to that lookout on yellow? About how far do you think it is from skyline all the way to the top of the new white trail by blue, if you take yellow all the way to yellow white to blue?
Yes, if you stay to the right and split from red coming from Skyline Dr. this will lead you to the overlook (looking east to NYC). Yellow is very difficult, its raw technical rocky trail. I'd say its close to 4 miles from Skyline to this Lookout. The Skyline to new white is about .5 miles.
If you are looking for an easy access to the new white trail you can park in Lot C (free parking from after Labor day to Memorial day) and refer to the map, look for fire road called Defiance Rd. and take that uphill to the intersection of Warm Puppy and the Cross over to the White trail. This will take you to the bottom of White, you can peddle up to the top then ride it down, its fun in both directions. Once you go up and down white, you can make the left onto warm puppy and enjoy a more technical downhill. At the end of warm puppy you can make a right onto road which will bring you back to lot C.

roc

Yes, if you stay to the right and split from red coming from Skyline Dr. this will lead you to the overlook (looking east to NYC). Yellow is very difficult, its raw technical rocky trail. I'd say its close to 4 miles from Skyline to this Lookout. The Skyline to new white is about .5 miles.
If you are looking for an easy access to the new white trail you can park in Lot C (free parking from after Labor day to Memorial day) and refer to the map, look for fire road called Defiance Rd. and take that uphill to the intersection of Warm Puppy and the Cross over to the White trail. This will take you to the bottom of White, you can peddle up to the top then ride it down, its fun in both directions. Once you go up and down white, you can make the left onto warm puppy and enjoy a more technical downhill. At the end of warm puppy you can make a right onto road which will bring you back to lot C.
Thanks, I’m familiar with c, I am heading there in ten minutes. I was looking to maybe do a really long loop with a buddy who is in ten times better shape than me. How far of a loop do you think it would be to take yellow from skyline, all the way to the top of the new white trail, then down white and bear left towards the model airplane field instead of all the way to the bottom of white then red back up all those switch backs and back to skyline? I rode red to about halfway down the red switchbacks the other day and it was a 8 mile out and back from skyline, but a very awesome 8 miles. I was thinking it probably wouldn’t be much more than 15 miles? My buddy can do that no prob, the last few miles will kill me, but if it’s more than that, I’m not even going to chance it.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Meh, your cutting out half of white, which is like one of the best downhills, to take fire road to red switchback climb. Parking in Skyline to head to white is some miles with rocks and elevation. It may be more enjoyable to park in lot c and enjoy more trails, while using fireroads to gain elevation.
Your plan is ok but it's a slog climbing out on red switch Backs and you are skipping half of white.

roc

Solid points, that bottom of white is sweet, but by the time I got over there from skyline, I wouldn't want to, or be able to, go all the way down white and then back up to red, and then climb that slog up red to the ridge. Better off parking at lot c. But, that ridge up on skyline is also fantastic. Also, it's a pretty decent trail just to get the bottom of red off that fire road, that's a cool section of tech singletrack before the long climb.
You're right, Meh

gtluke

The Moped
Here's the best way to do it. It's actually pretty good in both directions. Going down the red switchbacks is great, but going down white is probably greater. But going down the red by erskine / 6 bridges/ and cat's nest seems like a waste of elevation. This map is old so the white trail isn't actually correctly drawn, but you get the point.
this avoids the core of the hard yellow, but you can add that too instead of the cannonball trail (which is the red on the right side of the map by camp yaw paw)
Taking blue back to ringwood from the lookout area is boring, avoid doing that.

rwmap.jpg.png

roc

Here's the best way to do it. It's actually pretty good in both directions. Going down the red switchbacks is great, but going down white is probably greater. But going down the red by erskine / 6 bridges/ and cat's nest seems like a waste of elevation. This map is old so the white trail isn't actually correctly drawn, but you get the point.
this avoids the core of the hard yellow, but you can add that too instead of the cannonball trail (which is the red on the right side of the map by camp yaw paw)
Taking blue back to ringwood from the lookout area is boring, avoid doing that.

View attachment 58028
How far is that?

roc

Probably 10-12 miles.
I like it. That uphill on red will hurt, but that whole ridge is a great trail.
I was up at the top where white and blue meet today and saw an enormous bear, very scary and very cool at the same time. The bear crossed the trail 15-20 yards in front of me, like a bat out of hell. It stopped about 75-100 yes away and didn't look like it was going to move any further, one of my faster trips down white!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions