Many thanks...

...to whomever did some serious weed whacking on the climb up to the mulch pile as well as along pink and removing the downed tree on pink. You my friend are living the high life. I've fallen in love with the loop where you climb up to the mulch pile back down to connect into maroon around pink and back to the gate at kinney rd. 10 miles of just fast and flowey awesomeness.

If you're reading this, just curious, what tools did you use to do that clearing? I actually brought along a pair of pruning shears today and of course lost them on the trail like a jackass, but those were to just cut some of the more egregious pricklies. After seeing the work, it looks like more of something like a machete was used that could be carried on one's back enabling you to ride from spot to spot and do some mass clearing. Whatever it was, I'd like to acquire it and help with some of the work b/c when those trails are clear, its some mountain biking bliss.

rlb

Another thanks to those maintaining trails here. Can you post a track of the ride you're describing?

pxs231

That would be stratocaster (the jorba guy in charge of Stephens state park), you can contact him on the jorba.org forum under the same user name since he is banned on this forum.
He did indeed use a hand knife/saw in some spots. Those trails overgrow very quickly, so he spends many hours out there. I'm sure he would appreciate some kind words.

Another thanks to those maintaining trails here. Can you post a track of the ride you're describing?

this is pretty much the one i was referring to. there's like 5 really good sections that have an allegrippis flow to them although shorter but much tighter especially at this time of the year.

That would be stratocaster (the jorba guy in charge of Stephens state park), you can contact him on the jorba.org forum under the same user name since he is banned on this forum.
He did indeed use a hand knife/saw in some spots. Those trails overgrow very quickly, so he spends many hours out there. I'm sure he would appreciate some kind words.

i figured that. will do. its a double edged sword with a lot of those trails b/c they're pretty darn tight singletrack but without regular maintenance you wouldn't be able to see the trail at points. not sure how much stratocaster built of those trails, but he's got a gift for trail building if a lot of that is his.

EpicRidr

+1 for Stratocaster

Just on the off chance he's lurking...Thanks Dude! I tore up Stephens for over two hours last night. Weather was awesome, trails were in great shape. Sunset trail was the best - breeze was blowing, slanting sunlight was beautiful - just a great ride. I don't think I saw one thing that needed attention on my entire ride. The stuff does grow in fast this time of year though, that's for sure. My arms were pretty itchy when I was done.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions