Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

Stocky

Rode today. Gates open. Lake still empty. Dam still gone. Sunny, and Trails were great. no mud, lots of rocks and leaves.

Long way from home for you to hit Mahlon . Sounds like it treated you well .

I'm sure the lot will be closed upon my next visit .

crash

Everything north of Weldon road is in great shape (pine swamp, cascade, orange, green, blue). even the pipe at the entrance to the WMA was manageable. 70, sunny, and dry.

Bow Hunting season has started so wear some orange.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
North side: Dry leaves where it gets sun, wet leaves where it doesn't, muddy where it usually is. Better shape than I was anticipating...

rlb

Sweet :) Thinking about making my maiden voyage up there tomorrow, thanks for the update.

Stocky

Rode the WMA this afternoon . I don't think Mahlon received as much rain as we did in the Denville ,Rockaway area this week . The two very large puddles are actually shrinking and drying out .
The usual spots are muddy , but also drying out . The leaves on the ground are dry and the trails are super fun .

Stocky

First things first . The GATE was OPEN ! to the Weldon Rd Lot .....

Rode the WMA once again ... yes I love this quickie of a ride , but it's got a little bit of everything .

Trails are GREAT and remember ... it's HUNTING season so be alert and LOUD when riding .

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
North side: Dry 'n leafy (except where it is usually wet). Let 'er roll boys before it rains again!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
South Side: Mostly dry and (very) leafy with the usual damp spots. The double track from the bottom of Stone Gate past the pond is very wet...but has a dry-ish line on the shoulder. The Wall and Stone Gate are leafy, but fast...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
North & South Side: 'Same as yesterday; dry leaves and wet where it is usually wet. 'Getting to the point that one might lose the trail on occasion :D

WMA: Mostly dry and fast (leaves of course, but not as bad as in MDR). Standing water in the usual places. Only thing to report, really, is an occasional muddy spot that if you're not paying attention can give a second or two of "whoa, sh!t". Single track part, except for the few places where it is always muddy is premo.

Stocky

WMA is near perfect . The two major spots that were wet are just about dry and as far as the Whoa Sh!t muddy spots , they're pretty firm and not even of concern anymore .

get out and ride !

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
No shocker, but we got creamed by the storm up here yesterday. Easy 15+ inches of wet 'n heavy snow on the ground. I have trees that are pushed almost to the ground from the weight of the snow...I'm guessing things are gonna' be destroyed at MDR. We can bet there will be a lot of trees and limbs down when this snow melts or packs down and a ride can be attempted.

'Guess I'd better put gears and the Nokians on the SIR9 soon....

Edit: Neighbor measured the snow in his back yard (his property backs up to Mt. Paul Park)...19" of the crap.

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
No shocker, but we got creamed by the storm up here yesterday. Easy 15+ inches of wet 'n heavy snow on the ground. I have trees that are pushed almost to the ground from the weight of the snow...I'm guessing things are gonna' be destroyed at MDR. We can bet there will be a lot of trees and limbs down when this snow melts or packs down and a ride can be attempted.

'Guess I'd better put gears and the Nokians on the SIR9 soon....

Edit: Neighbor measured the snow in his back yard (his property backs up to Mt. Paul Park)...19" of the crap.

On the way to the airport I was shocked right after I left my house. Trees down all along Berkshire Valley Rd. looks like a little Armageddon up here. I don't even wanna see what happened at MDR.

Stocky

Has anyone ventured into Mahlon since the Halloween storm ? I have not been up there yet to survey the damage .

SpartaBard

Has anyone ventured into Mahlon since the Halloween storm ? I have not been up there yet to survey the damage .

I still have a lot of snow on the grass at my house, so the trails should be buried. I did not have much of any tree damage at my house, so I would think the damage would be less than Irene.

I may get out Friday at the earliest.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I still have a lot of snow on the grass at my house, so the trails should be buried. I did not have much of any tree damage at my house, so I would think the damage would be less than Irene.

I may get out Friday at the earliest.

Trees are destroyed near me...much worse than Irene (I had no damage at all from that).

Guess somebody needs to go look at some point here.

SpartaBard

Rode MD this afternoon. Trails were in excellent condition. Dried out nicely and only one tree down across the blue trail near the high point. I rode the north side of the park. Big contrast compared to Lewis Morris which had sections of devastation.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Rode MD this afternoon. Trails were in excellent condition. Dried out nicely and only one tree down across the blue trail near the high point. I rode the north side of the park. Big contrast compared to Lewis Morris which had sections of devastation.

Cool!! We got lucky considering that most people around the area don't even have electricity yet.

Keep it good until I get back to the easy coast and can enjoy it a bit!!!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Park is in fantastic shape I was all over. Amazed at how good a shape it was in. Little to no tree falls...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions