Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

Discussion in 'Mahlon Dickerson Reservation' started by Chris26er, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Chris26er

Chris26er Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's Team MTBNJ Halter's

Right on! I was getting sick of the go-rounds

njkayaker likes this.
  2. njkayaker

njkayaker Active Member

I started like 7:30 am. didn't see anyone else riding thoughI saw on Strava others did ride there yesterday. the fog was think in some area.

Kaleidopete likes this.
  3. smachski

smachski New Member

Conditions today: the area received some icy snow this week even though most of NJ didn't see any. The trails on the south side, Stone Gate, 4 birds, wall switchback, overlook were mostly clear and solid but there were a few frozen snow patches. On the north side of the park, Cascade, etc, the snow coverage was 100% on the trails.

icebiker and extremedave like this.
  4. icebiker

icebiker JORBA: Morris Trails JORBA.ORG

IMG_0014.JPG
    Thanks for the 411. I had to change my southern NJ ride plans last minute this morning due to a family matter and had to stay north. Your post was good timing. I found it exactly as you described. And for those of you looking for a place to ride tomorrow the snow will definitely stick around. Calling @Kaleidopete !

extremedave likes this.
  5. huffster

huffster Well-Known Member

Anybody been there lately that can share conditions?

6. smachski

smachski New Member

Mahlon was a 3 out of 4 today. Singletrack was close to 4 but a few trails like four birds, and ghost the rocks were still wet and thus slickery! :) they should be dried out by saturday.

7. huffster

huffster Well-Known Member

Thanks I went today to see for myself and agree with your rating

8. Eddie Z

Eddie Z Member

I went in on Friday. Generally conditions were good. Some soft spots, and a couple of mud puddles in the usual spots. Didn't need the fenders though. Recent windstorms have littered the trails with more than the usual amount of small branches and sticks, mostly ignorable...some kick-away-able. I cut out a few small trail obstructing tree falls. Anyway, let the games begin!

Chris26er likes this.
  9. Eddie Z

Eddie Z Member

Was such a nice, sunny day out yesterday that we had to ride. (Wednesday 3/29). With the ground already saturated from the blizzard melt-off, and the recent rains, the place was the wettest I've ever seen it. Puddles in non-normal places. Normal wet spots were extra wet and deep. Stream crossings raging. But still, plenty of the park drains well, was dry enough to allow for a great ride. Plus/Fat tires (w/fenders if you got 'em) is my recommendation, to lessen impact. I'm also looking forward to starting up with some Trail maintenance when I get the chance. Lots of face slappers and a few new tree blockages small enough to handle with a hand saw.

extremedave likes this.
  10. Eddie Z

Eddie Z Member

Myself and a buddy "cleaned" the WMA area loop yesterday (Thursday 3/30). Aka "Columbo return". Did a handful of saw-outs, and got rid of anything impinging on the trail. Cut back any face slappers, low hangers, and derailleur killers. Also tried to remove any branches on the ground, and a handful of loose babyhead rocks that were just doing nobody any good. We were pretty detailed for about 85% of it, but once the sleet started coming down, our level of attention dropped to only the more annoying issues.. The last stretch, from the peak back to the Saffin lot could use another light going over.

11. ryderX

ryderX JORBA Luddite: KVSP Bulldog JORBA.ORG

I'm sure I'm going to get shelled for saying this but after reading your description it sounds like it was a perfect day to STAY OFF the trails. Then I read the follow up post about pulling baby head rocks of the trail and it makes my head spin a bit. It's great that your out doing trail work but I trust you're not dumbing down the trails, corrrct ?

rlb likes this.
  12. mattybfat

mattybfat The White Shadow Team MTBNJ Halter's

He did say lose which will become a throw away and I take him for that.
    Not the best time to be on a bike. I have been there plenty where you want to clean up your park and a shity day in the woods is better then no day in the woods.

Superfly100guy and ryderX like this.
  13. Eddie Z

Eddie Z Member

No, not trying to dumb anything down. These babyheads were completely unattached from the trail, just kind of obviously not making anybody's ride experience any better. Didn't dig anything out, just sort of kicked the easy ones aside. Far more focus was put on the blockages, the brushbacks, the storm litter, and anything that you could get impaled upon or lose an eye on.

Having done a lot of TM's over the last bunch of years (a handful w/JORBA @ Stephens), I get it that one rider's "obstruction" can be another rider's "feature". I do try to be very respectful of that. Not really trying to stir up controversy with my TM work, just trying to do my share to give back a little.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  14. goodvibe

goodvibe Active Member

Anyone been here lately? Would like to go tomorrow, but not if it is too moist.

15. Mic360

Mic360 Well-Known Member

Wondering how it should be this weekend after all the rain? Never been here before.