Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode Mahlon this morning. Almost no standing water. Maybe 2-3 muddy spots. Ground was a bit wet, but firm. Rocks and roots a bit slick, but not bad at all. I wouldn't be surprised if other Northern trails are fine as well. We've had a summer dry spell, so it looks like the ground is soaking everything in.

Tommyklein

Trails were great tonight. If anything the rain tightened things up a bit. I was washing out in the corners when it was super dry.

Spylab

Haven't been to MD in months, as the Saffin Pond detour put a huge damper on my ride last time.

Any news from the regulars? Is the dam project moving along? Is the pond area still fenced off?

One of my favorite rides starts at the Picnic area and comes down the Wall and Stone Gate and ends at the lower pond. Only way I know to get back is up the rail bed, but with the trail closure at the pond it makes the loop impossible (I think) since I usually go across the dam and back up to the trails through that route. If there is another fun way back, please fill me in.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Just follow the rail trail and then hop out on to the road after the concrete gate - maybe .25 miles tops to the lot.

Option 1: Hit the trail that wraps around the lake, and it will bring you out by the old dam. You should know where you are at that point.

Option 2: Go 200 ft. past the pond lot, and hop back into the park. Follow that around and it will eventually intersect with yellow, pass the camping area, etc.

Don't know the status of the project.

Side note - last 2 rides we hit the WMA - real nice to go back in there again.

Last edited:

Mildly Wild

I am guessing you mean Weldon Brook WMA. This would be a left turn about a half mile in off the rail trail if coming in from Weldon Road. Are you speaking of the dbl track and dirt roads that run ftom the rail trail out to Blue Heron Lake, or is there some new (or old) single track in there that I don't know about? If so, can you tell me where? Lots of nice land there in WB WMA.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I am guessing you mean Weldon Brook WMA. This would be a left turn about a half mile in off the rail trail if coming in from Weldon Road. Are you speaking of the dbl track and dirt roads that run ftom the rail trail out to Blue Heron Lake, or is there some new (or old) single track in there that I don't know about? If so, can you tell me where? Lots of nice land there in WB WMA.

Basically, yes. The dbl track has grown over a bit, and there is a real sweet section of gnar ST after the power lines. So, at the power lines/monument, go left, then stay right at next intersection/branch.

Really need to get the MDR 101 together. Maybe the weekend of September 16th depending on Timmy's schedule.

bill-now

Doomed
It seems the monument at the top of Pascoe Road is no longer. Wassup wid dat?

First the dump truck at JH disappears, then the iron mine car from Wildcat Ridge, and now the monument. Someones is stealing our stuff!

SpartaBard

I rode mdr yesterday. Conditions were great. However, there is still the reroute around saffins pond. The reroute is not fun so I would recommend hitting the road as shaggz said.

I did notice that someone re painted the trail markings on stone gate. It used to be yellow with black spot. It is now been painted yellow which does not jive with the official park map. I am not sure if this was done officially or rogue.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Markings are official. The updated map shows yellow to continue to Stone Gate (formerly yellow/black), and Devil's Staircase is now shown as an unmarked road.

Stocky

My buddy and I have been riding the WMA for the last few weeks for a quick keep the legs moving ride .....in and out in 35-45 min ..... It runs about 5 miles starting from the main lot . Trails are great , no issues .

SpartaBard

Markings are official. The updated map shows yellow to continue to Stone Gate (formerly yellow/black), and Devil's Staircase is now shown as an unmarked road.

Ok super... I noticed the new trail blazes on Cascade too. I saw a family out hiking on devils staircase with three young kids. If they were following the old map they would have been in for a surprise doing quite a bit more distance.

I should be ok for a 101 ride on the 17th. Didn't we use to call the ride by another name?

Rode Mahlon again today; all things considered (25 inches of rain in August) conditions are pretty damn good. Lots of water but mud was manageable. Parking lot still closed.

Went across the road, took the second right out up and down through the pine swamp, out Blood (red) across the fire road onto purple (Cascade?) up above the high school. Then out to the fire road and back across...left out across Weldon Rd up to Headley Overlook and down the other side...then down the yellow up to the Kiosk, down White and down to the bridge...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...and back to the lot.

Stocky

We rode the WMA early this afternoon . Almost every tree has been cut up and cleared . There's one huge and deep puddle as you head up the trail where you cross the pipe that is half buried in the ground . The other spot is coming out of the woods heading up the powerline ... it's a only about 6ft long but easily a foot deep . no way you don't soak a shoe . Otherwise a bit of mud here and there , but 95% dry and fun .

Another 2 inches of rain this week and Mahlon is still in great shape. Everything rideable. Mosquitoes were brutal. Gate Closed though.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Another 2 inches of rain this week and Mahlon is still in great shape. Everything rideable. Mosquitoes were brutal. Gate Closed though.

Odd...they were open yesterday. Maybe budget cuts or something are having them not open the gates on Sundays???

But yeah, the mosquitoes are unbelievable. We were coated head to toe with off and we basically couldn't stop or a cloud (seriously!) of the little buggers would form around each of us. I've never seen it so bad up there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can believe I have to moderate one of the site owners...

:hitsfan:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions