Mahlon conditions 4/11/11

Stocky

Just back from my first ride of the season . We hit the North side starting from the ball fields and headed back through the Pine Swamp .
conditions are stellar other than a wet section just leading up to the bridge crossing at the Pine Swamp .

A short 6 miles to get the legs acclimated once again .

It's good to hear that conditions are beginning to improve.....if only we could wish this rain away that's dripping outside my window...can't wait to hit Mahlon on my new ride....

Rode both North and South Side yesterday . Things are still nice and dry with a few very minor exceptions . Stone gate is high and dry , the bottom of Devil's Staircase is wet, as it always is this time of year .

We were riding Cascade Counter clockwise from the stream and realized I was riding up the hill ( about 1/2 way in ) that usually kills me . Then I realized the TM that was done a few weeks ago did a semi switchback re-route of the washed out hill . NICELY DONE ! thank you !

We were riding Cascade Counter clockwise from the stream and realized I was riding up the hill ( about 1/2 way in ) that usually kills me . Then I realized the TM that was done a few weeks ago did a semi switchback re-route of the washed out hill . NICELY DONE ! thank you !

Surprise!

Surprise!

Tim , no shit . My buddy and I are dying , first ride was Monday We're like F it let's take Cascade . Worst thing that can happen is I'll walk up the F-ing hill . We're riding and talking and a realize I'm 3/4 way up the hill . The top half still had me walking . It's not usually till the end of the season that I can make the climb without getting off the bike . I hate Cascade ( especially CC ) it ruins me for the rest of the my ride .

Rode both North and South Side yesterday . Things are still nice and dry with a few very minor exceptions . Stone gate is high and dry , the bottom of Devil's Staircase is wet, as it always is this time of year .

It's nice that people notice.:)

It's nice that people notice.:)

I wish I could get out more often to help . Made it out once last year when it was just Me , my buddy and Shagz working on a small section of Cascade .
I always notice and definitely ride it more than I can manage to give back .

I wish I could get out more often to help . Made it out once last year when it was just Me , my buddy and Shagz working on a small section of Cascade .
I always notice and definitely ride it more than I can manage to give back .

It is the gift that keeps on giving. One of the coolest things to do is ride trail that you built...and it never gets old. Especially when it is a bigger project. Every time I bomb down the wall re-route I have an extra bit of pleasure and satisfaction 'cause I helped build it....even though I've ridden it 10s, if not 100s, of times since we finished it.

Park was in really good shape yesterday morning outside of the usual wet spots being really wet. I was one of the very few cars in the Saffin lot; others didn't look like they had bikes. Doesn't anyone ride when it's not 70*? Likely trashed after all the rain yesterday afternoon/night. Cascade reroute was really nice. Also noticed Anthrother's was cleaned up from last fall. Much better shape than Allamuchy North which - at least a couple of weeks ago - had tons of leaves and sticks just waiting to chew up derailleurs.

Park was in really good shape yesterday morning outside of the usual wet spots being really wet. I was one of the very few cars in the Saffin lot; others didn't look like they had bikes. Doesn't anyone ride when it's not 70*? Likely trashed after all the rain yesterday afternoon/night. Cascade reroute was really nice. Also noticed Anthrother's was cleaned up from last fall. Much better shape than Allamuchy North which - at least a couple of weeks ago - had tons of leaves and sticks just waiting to chew up derailleurs.

I cruised up and checked it out today. There are trails that are more like creeks today...'give her a day or two to drain...

We thought about a short North side loop today , but you're just asking to much to think it it would be ridable today without a paddle .
It drains really well , but not that good : )

We thought about a short North side loop today , but you're just asking to much to think it it would be ridable today without a paddle .
It drains really well , but not that good : )

No doubt. There are some sections on Cascade where the trail is flooded and not running (out). We have some work to do up there...

mahlon trails

there's a really sick single track i found there.Not sure if all the trails have been made official. i think this long long trail was sort of "unofficial" for a while. The bottom is off a short sidetrail that goes around some water on a dual track.

sort of like this
ll
ll
lD-----
ll
ll

there's a really sick single track i found there.Not sure if all the trails have been made official. i think this long long trail was sort of "unofficial" for a while. The bottom is off a short sidetrail that goes around some water on a dual track.

sort of like this
ll
ll
lD-----
ll
ll

I think I know the trail that trail, however I would describe it as

ll
ll
lK----$%#^#...
ll
ll

P.S. Which decoder ring are you using? Mine came in a box of Wheaties.

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but we will be losing trails at MDR. Public Service Announcement: Talk and building of unofficial trails will only make it worse.

Bill, my decoder says "Drink your Ovaltine".

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions