Lumpy/Bumpy

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok one end is red flaged the other is white, now I have taken it over the last couple months and I am wondering which direction is best. I will say it's not SS friendly and I know this is labled an advance trail but even geared I find myself dismounting more then I would like. I would like to think that I am of advance caliber with 20+ years of mtb. biking but damn! Don't get me wrong there are outstanding features and I'm sure it will work itself out with more use. So my question to the folks who labored so hard is which direction do you find yourself entering? Too me it makes more since to go in white as red is better out...

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would agree that a few of the line up top dont make too much sense, 2 or 3 turns that are impossible over 3 mph and that sharp turn down the rock should be eased a lil. All in all a great fun trail but I cant see runnin it from red to white, that would be almost impossible.

Lumpy Bumpy is not to be taken for granted... It may take a few times before you really appreciate it... It's not for everyone, but give it a chance... it is 100% rideable with a little practice and a lot of skill... it IS the real deal....

Your choice..

Ok one end is red flaged the other is white, now I have taken it over the last couple months and I am wondering which direction is best. I will say it's not SS friendly and I know this is labled an advance trail but even geared I find myself dismounting more then I would like. I would like to think that I am of advance caliber with 20+ years of mtb. biking but damn! Don't get me wrong there are outstanding features and I'm sure it will work itself out with more use. So my question to the folks who labored so hard is which direction do you find yourself entering? Too me it makes more since to go in white as red is better out...

Direction? The answer is really in your hands. It works in both directions and allows the users to decide. During my hours contributing to the build (plenty, but not as many as some) what occured to me is that this trail is made to be difficult, hard, a challenge. Not "technical but mostly doable". Ridable? Yes, I've seen people ride the tuffest sections in both directions.

One of the most important concepts is that the trail will be sustainable. No gullied out rubble or eroded thing here.

As far as the other builders opinions.... Most of them don't use this board, but maybe the ones who do will add in.

Last edited:

goldsbar

Anyone have a GPS link or a good description of where this trail is? There's only a couple of places in the Mooch that I consider one way.

One is a presumably illegal cut that ends sort of near the bottom of Ice Cream on the white trail. Horrible design IMO and super prime for erosion. A couple of nice features but no way to climb it. The other is another short section of trail back in the area of unmarked mostly ATV style trails that are pretty crappy.

So where are the goods?

xc62701

All I know is it's good. Hard to describe where it's at. Oh yea...it's rideable. My superfly was loving it when I was there. I've only ridden it once though and I can't wait to get back there.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Go in at Cranberry gate, take 1st left, bear right into climb up to a round turtle type rock then bear right for red start or left for white. So far the majority seems to find it not worth the work put into it. It's scenic and a novel idea but, eh.Once the masses get in there the lines and corners will probably start to get moved to a more usable fashion. I find it more doable white to red:popcorn:

goldsbar

If there's an attempt to create some technical trails - something I'm 100% in favor of - why not work on some sections of the Teal trail? More sections would be rideable (some already are) with a little easy maintenance. New trails are great but take a lot more work.

I've never gone in through Cranberry but I'll have to give it a try.

xc62701

If there's an attempt to create some technical trails - something I'm 100% in favor of - why not work on some sections of the Teal trail? More sections would be rideable (some already are) with a little easy maintenance. New trails are great but take a lot more work.

I've never gone in through Cranberry but I'll have to give it a try.

Because that is the highlands trail which I believe is technically off limits to bikes.

goldsbar

Usually off limits in other parts, but I've heard everything is open in the Mooch. Maybe, maybe not? Haven't seen any of those no bike signs.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
:hysterica Yeah, you're right... it's not worth riding.... you are too funny... :hysterica

I keep gettin requests to take people thru and, yes , the general population finds it kinda annoying to ride .........as said though, the masses will fix it:popcorn:

Directions

Ok... come down Ice Cream and make a left onto the white trail, make first right down and cross stream, make left up short grunt climb, one end of it is on the right just after the top of the hill, (this was the conceived exit)

Or... continue to next intersectin and make right at trail intersection. Go to air conditioner (on left) and make a right, up small hill and look for Lumpy on the right! This is the initial concept "entrance".

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else. This is my understanding.

Rogers

Analogy

If you can't ski a double black diamond, do you complain about it or do you keep trying until you can? :popcorn:

kidzach

Hardcore

In the immortal words of Frank Barone - " Holy Cr*p". This trail is no joke.I would say Lumpy/Bumpy is for the more skilled rider.And I found out on this trail I am not of said skills.Some real awesome stuff in here though . Great work folks. Some day if I'm feeling a little crazy I may try again.For now there is more than enough great trails here to keep me busy.For those who handle this trail I raise my Canadian Molson(oops, that's another thread) in your general direction.Did somebody say Teal trail??? Please stay off, we need not give people reasons and ammo to dislike our kind.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
good news people. the highlands trail within allamuchy is multi-use. this is because the mountain biking community has a strong relationship with Allamuchy and the superintendent has designated the trail as multi-use.

the bad news is that a lot of it is fall line and some of it will not sustain multi-use. also, the nynjtc maintains this trail so we don't have a direct hand in its design and maintenance. elsewhere I believe the highlands trail is foot traffic only.

one of the biggest problems that we have however in NJ is the tendency of trail users to build rogue trails in our parks. some parks totally understand that its a "few bad apples" problem while other park supers don't see it as such a limited problem. when I start seeing comments like "the public will fix it" I start getting nervous because it makes me think of our own trail users going back in the woods without permission and doing things that bite us collectively in the ass. we have rogue trails in a lot of nearby parks and everything they are discovered, our park leaders have to spend a lot of their time and energy fighting for the cause, which usually means explaining that mountain bikers in general respect public land and that we don't condone this activity. please don't start realigning trails or features to suit your own needs. bob and karen worked closely with the park super to get these trails approved. this was unprecedented a few years ago. now we have a sanctioned legal "advanced trail" in NJ. wow. times are good.

hey... look, if you can't ride a feature, no worries youre in good company. a lot of people can't. but... many people can ride it *both ways* and *without dabbing it* in its *current configuration*.

so, please ride the trail as it was intended, and work up to the challenge.

its ok to dab, its ok to get off and walk. its not ok to get off and make changes to the trail design or features. thanks in advance for your understanding.

cheers,
jeff mergler

p.s. if you want to get involved in this trail, or in future projects... all you have to do is get involved at Allamuchy or your our local park. the harder you work and more involved you get, the more opportunity you have to place *your mark* before the fact on trail projects. that's a lot more fun then coming in after the fact and changing the trail against the design of the original builders.

goldsbar

I've never been on this trail but are these technical features contained? I've noticed on other trails in the Mooch that people will do anything to take the easy way around rock gardens. Parts of the yellow trail are literally 20 feet wide. Very easy log hops have trails going around them. This is Allumuchy no less - if you can't clear a log you shouldn't be riding here. I'm just asking because I've seen many a great piece of singletrack transformed into "wide" singletrack.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions