Lower Half below route 80

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was thinking I would see a lot more of what I saw on the trails off of 206 but it's really different on the South end of Allamuchy. For starters, I'd say 70% of the trails we hit were overgrown and another 5% were horribly overgrown. The condition of the trail wasn't too bad and only a few spots with mud. Overall I'd rate this place very high if you are riding in the fall or early spring when the trails are still clear. We started heading north on the yellow trail then onto the red and finally the white that we took all the way back to Deer Park Pond. Had we known where the blue trail went to we could have added another .5-1 mile to the loop. We stopped by the pond for a little bit and I was attacked by a ton of bugs. From that point on it was a 25mph (says the GPS) downhill all the way back to the parking lot.

Negatives: Overgrowth, bugs, horse shit
Positives: Extremely clear trail markings, many possible loops, scenic (also a trail splits off to a route 80 overlook), Plenty of parking, lots of technical spots

Last edited:
M

mike240se

Yeah I had alot of fun there today, the over growth sucked but it didnt bother me too bad. The loop we took was about 7.5 miles, the final downhill is a poorly groomed fire road for about 1 mile (it was lots of fun since it was poorly groomed, my speedometer said we hit 29mph so i dont know if mine or jays is right. I would like to check out alamuchy north next time, above 80, but it seems like that route is much easier to get lost and not well marked. I want to add that if you want to experience the back woods of alamuchy, but dont want to worry about getting lost, i would highy recommend the south side; the trails were excellently marked and corresponded to the map better than anywhere. Dont forget your tick/bug spray.

Wazu

Deer Park has a little of everything and is great for cardio rides with few to no dismounts while still having hills and some technical sections. If you go up the mountain by the dam instead of to the right and around the pond, then hang a right by a thick hanging vine, you'll find a very seldomly used trail that has a pretty good view at the top, especially in the winter and late fall. It's not used much cause it's slightly over grown and let's face it, it's up hill.....again!

ytc100

Deer Park has a little of everything and is great for cardio rides with few to no dismounts while still having hills and some technical sections. If you go up the mountain by the dam instead of to the right and around the pond, then hang a right by a thick hanging vine, you'll find a very seldomly used trail that has a pretty good view at the top, especially in the winter and late fall. It's not used much cause it's slightly over grown and let's face it, it's up hill.....again!

I ALWAYS get poison ivy when I take that side trail you're talking about.

It is a nice little climb though.

Wazu

True enough

I meant to say make a left at the vine............oops. Yeah, I can't deny getting poison ivy there myself. Definately once.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions