Louis Garneau Boreal Pro Jacket

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have picked up the Louis Garneau Boreal Pro jacket/jersey and figured I would do a review since I have ridden enough in it - it's currently on sale in a few spots online and is prolly available through local shops.

If you are looking for something that will allow you to get out in the cold and wet on the road I would recommend it.

It is cut to fit like a jersey. It has a full zip, wind block front, and a slightly more breathable back. It's not race cut, but pretty close. Size up if you are in doubt. It has a small zip pocket in the front I find worthless, but has three pockets in the back with a smaller pouch in the middle pocket. Sometimes the pockets can be a pain to get into - they have a grippy edge to them, but it's a minor nuisance. The middle smaller pouch can be a PITA too - but I usually don't dig for stuff that often when I'm riding. Sleeves are long! A win for tall peeps.

I haven't worn it in frigid temps but I get hot in the mid-50s with just a medium base layer, so I imagine it being able to go well into the winter just with more layers underneath. It's fantastic in the 40 degree temp range and I come back home bone dry riding in drizzle. Put on a light base layer or two under this jacket and you are good to go.

It can get hot. You can get your sweat on quickly if you overdress with your layers underneath.

I dunno how I would feel about wearing it on the mountain bike. I think unless it's real cold out, you could run the risk of getting too hot. At least I would.

I'm real glad I picked it up. It's been my go-to for my past few rides, and I don't see that changing for a while. For the sale prices I see now I think it's a definite must-add to the closet for early morning temps in the spring and fall on the road.

Top Bottom