Losing a summer and tossing out a fall.

I don’t read too many of these blogs threads

I didn’t know Walt was referring to this Steve because didn’t occur to me he was a runner or in this case doing it cause it’s more the thing ya could do ATMz. Cool. Just saying hi

I don’t read too many of these blogs threads

I didn’t know Walt was referring to this Steve because didn’t occur to me he was a runner or in this case doing it cause it’s more the thing ya could do ATMz. Cool. Just saying hi
I'm not a runner, I just run sometimes.

I'm not a runner, I just run sometimes.
1712765265423.gif

April 13th - Ville to Ville. 90% prepped for this race. Still trying to figure out logistics. I do know my two legs which I feel a bit better about since yesterday.

Leg #4 which is 7.9 miles
Leg #10 which is 6.71 miles
Foreshadowing?

Turns out this race killed me. I'm still struggling with stairs.

Out of the house at 5am. At 7am we were in Asheville for the start of our team's race. Was mid-40s and very windy. I was shivering waiting the 5-10 minutes for our first racer to go out with the mass start. Then lots of traveling to each next start spot.

Leg #4 - While the race day started off cold it now was getting warm. Started in Fletcher near I9/Cane Creek/Fox if anyone knows the area and finished in the downtown portion of Henderson, NC. Mostly uneventful run, first 6 miles I was out by myself for the most part but as I headed into Hendersonville I passed about 15 dying runners. Got a delicious cinnamon role from a food truck at the brewery as we loaded into the car to the next stop.

Once we got into South Carolina and out of the mountains the weather got really hot. It had that feeling in summer when it's been really hot for a few days straight and you're now really sick of it.

Leg #10 - Now it was really hot. While this leg was less than 7 miles it was all in the sun. Started up with a long uphill and then was nothing but rolling terrain. Last two miles or so was on the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I never realized how not flat that bike path was until running it...

This leg killed me as it was now high 70s and all exposed in the sun. I drank a ton of water pre-run and took no water with me as it was less than 7 miles. I got completely sunburnt, the whole run I just felt the dried sweat on my face and chapped lips. Luckily for me I had someone behind me for the last 2 miles and it provided enough will for me to keep them from passing. Finished in Traveler's Rest at a brewery that was a full on party as tons of teams had racers finished for the day so people were drinking pretty heavy. I don't really road run or ride so I kind of forgot what being out in the sun was like.

@MissJR drove down to Greenville with two friends and met us at the finish line and after party.

Long Hectic day. Not sure I am doing another relay. I don't know if it was the heat, the break in between the two running legs or what, but this took a lot more out of me than the 18+ mile trail run the week before. It makes no sense that I'm so sore.

Stats:

Overall - Chip Time 11:09:20 - Avg Pace 9:07 for the 73 miles. Our goal was to finish at 6:30 with more like a 9:30 pace so that wasn't bad.
My Strava Leg #4 - 7.84 Miles @ 8:16 pace. 1 Hour 4 minutes.
My strava Leg #10 - 6.67 Miles # 8:34 pace. 57 minutes 12 seconds

Foreshadowing?

Turns out this race killed me. I'm still struggling with stairs.

Out of the house at 5am. At 7am we were in Asheville for the start of our team's race. Was mid-40s and very windy. I was shivering waiting the 5-10 minutes for our first racer to go out with the mass start. Then lots of traveling to each next start spot.

Leg #4 - While the race day started off cold it now was getting warm. Started in Fletcher near I9/Cane Creek/Fox if anyone knows the area and finished in the downtown portion of Henderson, NC. Mostly uneventful run, first 6 miles I was out by myself for the most part but as I headed into Hendersonville I passed about 15 dying runners. Got a delicious cinnamon role from a food truck at the brewery as we loaded into the car to the next stop.

Once we got into South Carolina and out of the mountains the weather got really hot. It had that feeling in summer when it's been really hot for a few days straight and you're now really sick of it.

Leg #10 - Now it was really hot. While this leg was less than 7 miles it was all in the sun. Started up with a long uphill and then was nothing but rolling terrain. Last two miles or so was on the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I never realized how not flat that bike path was until running it...

This leg killed me as it was now high 70s and all exposed in the sun. I drank a ton of water pre-run and took no water with me as it was less than 7 miles. I got completely sunburnt, the whole run I just felt the dried sweat on my face and chapped lips. Luckily for me I had someone behind me for the last 2 miles and it provided enough will for me to keep them from passing. Finished in Traveler's Rest at a brewery that was a full on party as tons of teams had racers finished for the day so people were drinking pretty heavy. I don't really road run or ride so I kind of forgot what being out in the sun was like.

@MissJR drove down to Greenville with two friends and met us at the finish line and after party.

Long Hectic day. Not sure I am doing another relay. I don't know if it was the heat, the break in between the two running legs or what, but this took a lot more out of me than the 18+ mile trail run the week before. It makes no sense that I'm so sore.

Stats:

Overall - Chip Time 11:09:20 - Avg Pace 9:07 for the 73 miles. Our goal was to finish at 6:30 with more like a 9:30 pace so that wasn't bad.
My Strava Leg #4 - 7.84 Miles @ 8:16 pace. 1 Hour 4 minutes.
My strava Leg #10 - 6.67 Miles # 8:34 pace. 57 minutes 12 seconds
How do you get to the next leg? Self transport?

How do you get to the next leg? Self transport?
Self transport. We had some borrowed Acura SUV that had one of those 3rd rows that is basically for grandkid child seats. I sat back there for the 20 minute drive to Asheville in the fetal position thinking there's no way I'd be able to run if I road back there the whole day. It then dawned on me once the race started we only needed to fit 5 people in the car since one racer was always on course.

Lots of sprinter vans, etc. There's a bunch of teams that do this every year and go all out. Costumes, decorated vans, etc. A bigger vehicle definitely helps for organizing all the food/clothing/etc.

I randomly got an invite for a spot that opened up in the Smokey Mountain Relay this morning and it's in two weeks. Starts near my house and is 200 miles of trails over two days. I told him NO.

Back
Top Bottom