Looking to learn more about how to shop for a new MTB?

1K buys a crappy new bike unless it's a clearance bike. Don't buy a bike for where you ride, buy a bike for where you will ride.

29er definitely. Hardtail in the lower price range. It's hard to go wrong with a cheaper hardtail, easy to go wrong with a cheap Full Suspension bike.

Bikes like the Santa Cruz Chameleon or Salsa Timberjack are probably spot-on for a great beginnerish bike that you won't need to replace anytime soon.

Just looked at the Timberjack, the $1k model isn't bad. The $1400 model looks awesome, but I'd prefer it was 29 vs 27+

Too bad you're not a medium, I'd lend you some bikes.

The best i can offer is demo, demo, demo. Even if you aren't looking at say a pivot or Santa Cruz you'll get an idea what a wheel size and full squish bike rides like. Ask questions too, I was just on giant's site and the categories suck, trail, all mountain, enduro, for a beginner this is all Greek.

A good hardtail will get you the best bang for your buck. Be wary of buying a lower end bike and planning upgrades. Forks, brakes and wheels are pricy upgrades and it might only be a $500 difference between something you'll never have to update and something you'll hate in six months.

I'm a big fan of used but sometimes you can't be too picky, you might have to say "ok, I want a 120mm travel 29er" then wait for a fuel, stumpy or whatever to pop up.

Regarding used. There's deals to be had but try and find someone knowledgeable to look with you and also budget for some repairs.

Keep us posted. We like to talk about bikes here!

Exactly, I can prolly pull those rates.

Ok, deep breath. Factoring your discount.........

So I'm going to go against my nature and just discuss 2 DB bikes (see screenshots) because it sounds by your tone that you really want to go down that route.

At first glance I naturally was leaning towards the 29er because of where you ride and being 6'. But..... The 29er 2 has a much more XC oriented geometry, specifically the head tube angle 71 degrees and speck'd fork travel 100mm.

The Pro is a 27.5 which is a closer wheel size to the 26" you have now, has a slacker head tube angle at 68 degrees and is speck'd at 120mm, though the 20mm diff is a wash in the real world due to the reduced attack angle of the smaller wheel... But I digress.

If you put a gun to my head, of these two bikes, I'd lean towards the pro because between the drive train and the more forgiving (in my opinion) HT angle I believe you would ride this one longer before you upgrade to a bike that's... Um.... Well, more.

That said.... Used HT bike (from known source) is a smarter option....

2c-

image.png
image.png

btw for where you're riding I feel like FS is over rated I think I've been to one place that has made me wish I had FS but ever then a 27.5 ht was doable, but I want to go 29er.

That's cause your 26. When you get close to 50, tell me you still only want a HT
Agree , I had two ht's and sold both to get a fs and that was the best move for this old weary back and climbing is a lot better then I thought ( even in full soft mode )

Ok, deep breath. Factoring your discount.........

So I'm going to go against my nature and just discuss 2 DB bikes (see screenshots) because it sounds by your tone that you really want to go down that route.

At first glance I naturally was leaning towards the 29er because of where you ride and being 6'. But..... The 29er 2 has a much more XC oriented geometry, specifically the head tube angle 71 degrees and speck'd fork travel 100mm.

The Pro is a 27.5 which is a closer wheel size to the 26" you have now, has a slacker head tube angle at 68 degrees and is speck'd at 120mm, though the 20mm diff is a wash in the real world due to the reduced attack angle of the smaller wheel... But I digress.

If you put a gun to my head, of these two bikes, I'd lean towards the pro because between the drive train and the more forgiving (in my opinion) HT angle I believe you would ride this one longer before you upgrade to a bike that's... Um.... Well, more.

That said.... Used HT bike (from known source) is a smarter option....

2c-

View attachment 73054View attachment 73055

Just got their summer sale email yesterday and these two are probably the main choices for hardtail in the OP's price range. The Pro has more "modern" geometry where the 29 has more traditional geometry and 100mm fork. The Pro goes with 2x10 drivetrain where the 29 has a newer GX 11 speed. The best deal out of the two is the Pro, but it is out of stock.

If it were me I would also look at the Mason 2. It is their 27.5+ bike with 68 / 71 geo and 11 speed NX drivetrain and 110 / 148 current hub sizes. Spec'd with the new 120mm Judy Gold RL fork and DHR / DHF tires is a bit odd. It's designed to be a more aggressive 29 / plus bike I guess. The OP would have to test out a plus bike to see if plus is something to consider. Tires can be changed out to be more trail / xc if needed.

Depending on what the OP will use the bike for as he gets more miles - XC or trail or other - would play into the decision as to the type of bike to choose.

1K buys a crappy new bike unless it's a clearance bike. Don't buy a bike for where you ride, buy a bike for where you will ride.

29er definitely. Hardtail in the lower price range. It's hard to go wrong with a cheaper hardtail, easy to go wrong with a cheap Full Suspension bike.

Bikes like the Santa Cruz Chameleon or Salsa Timberjack are probably spot-on for a great beginnerish bike that you won't need to replace anytime soon.

Just looked at the Timberjack, the $1k model isn't bad. The $1400 model looks awesome, but I'd prefer it was 29 vs 27+

Too bad you're not a medium, I'd lend you some bikes.

The Chameleon is hard to come by these days I think. I'm liking the Timberjack for the price. Brakes and fork are par for the price. The GX1 model is a good step up. For a new bike rider this can probably be found at a local Salsa dealer or REI for a curb test. Benefit is that it will come with local support (warrantee / free adjustments for a year).

That's cause your 26. When you get close to 50, tell me you still only want a HT

This guy is a young gun too, maybe younger but in 100 times better shape just not as handsome lol. 27+ will take the edge off the trails like a FS bike, get a 27+ and when he can get 29" tires to swap in and out with.

soooo... basically a bike that's maybe aluminum, maybe carbon... with 27.5 or 29 wheels.... maybe plus bike... maybe not.... possibly new... but perhaps used... and either partial or full squish.

NOT CONFUSING AT ALL!

;P

Your first mistake was to go online and ask people how to shop. Its 2018, you know how to shop. Walk into your LBS, demo a bunch of bikes, buy the most expensive bike you can afford, maybe even stretch a little. Over-researching on this forum will only prolong the inevitable, which is walking into your LBS, demoing a bunch of bikes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom