Looking to learn more about how to shop for a new MTB?

Hey y'all, I'm still new to MTB and made some upgrades to my bike to better suit me, but I'd like to begin figuring out what bikes would suit me and the price range as well so I can begin saving up.

1. My stats: 210lb, 6'1" Male.
2. Places I ride: Lewis Morris, Dickerson Mine, and Allaire
3. What I'm riding now? A Motobecane HT500 from 2008. It's a decent bike, with 26" wheels and a pretty stiff front fork. It's okay, but I feel like I struggle when the trail gets rough.
4. Dual suspension vs Hard Tail? -- I've been leaning towards dual suspension because I feel like in the long run, everyone goes this route. Granted the price would go up, but it buys you a lot.
5. Budget - $1000

I've been looking at Cannondale, mainly because I might be able to get them through work at a good price. The ones I was looking at were the Cujo 2 (Hard Tail) or the Habit 6... But honestly, I have no clue what to look for.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

qclabrat

First, welcome @DevsAdvocate

You're right, the FS will open your options to more parks, however does come with an expense
Have you demo'd any new bikes yet and what is your budget?

qclabrat

that's right, you turned back with the real Pat at about half way.
For $1K you should be looking at the second hand market. Have you looked at pinkbike.com?
Nowadays an entry level hardtail with decent parts will run you about $1500 and about a thousand more for FS.
Have you thought about tire size, either 27.5 vs 29

that's right, you turned back with the real Pat at about half way.
For $1K you should be looking at the second hand market. Have you looked at pinkbike.com?
Nowadays an entry level hardtail with decent parts will run you about $1500 and about a thousand more for FS.
Have you thought about tire size, either 27.5 vs 29
What's the big deal with tire size? I get bigger = getting over rougher stuff. Some people run 27.5s with larger tires, and those roll over anything.

qclabrat

What's the big deal with tire size? I get bigger = getting over rougher stuff. Some people run 27.5s with larger tires, and those roll over anything.
very personal preference, really gotta ride both to know. Moving from 26 to 29, you may feel it's too big and it's not surprise many prefer the 27.5 for that reason. Also not all 27.5 can fit the bigger tires. I really prefer the 29s but that's me

qclabrat

Also, I'd be willing to defer purchases if it means saving more. Or buying used.
depends on your timeframe. New is aways nicer, as you get a warranty. Here's an idea of prices and what you get for the dollar nowadays.

The Giant Trace is a great bike for those looking to go FS. It has decent parts all around and is a price leader with those specs. $2400
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-3

A HT to consider is the Kona Honzo, again great parts and pricepoint $1400
http://www.konaworld.com/honzo_al.cfm

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Does Diamondback make plus HT?
Don't limit yourself to DB. 2019 models are being released. Play your cards right and should be able to get some deals on 2018 leftovers.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You were riding very well (i guess i'm the real pat, since i'm not asian pat ! didn't know i had a moniker!)

I'd definitely go used from a known source on here if possible. There are a ton of neurotic bike cleaners, tinkerers,
and the stuff is perfect.

Al frame hardtail - you'll mostly be looking at 29r,
and will probably fit your budget. Probably not too much more for full-squish, just a little older.
It will take 3 minutes to adapt to the larger wheel, then it will go unnoticed, until it saves an otb.

Hell, you probably have Walter build the whole bike from the ground up if the right frame shows up...

I'd save up for a chameleon if there are any in north america to purchase.....

Top Bottom