Looking for Wood Craftsman to build custom writing desk. Help me.

Frank

Sasquatch
"Maybe I can pick up a couple, join them together and place them on the Glass trail "! @Frank

Yes, we need more logs all over!!

For the top, the long boards are biscuited. The breadboard ends are attached with Dominos (9 per end). The 3 middle Dominos are glued on both ends, and the others are glued on one end and left loose on the other. The mortises for the loose ends are also bored wider so there's a little float to allow for seasonal movement.

Sweet, I was wondering about humidity changes. Chris will love this, well done!

SmooveP

Any particular reason that you switch between biscuits and dominos?
I use biscuits for the less critical joints because they're cheaper and the tool is easier to set up. Dominos are stronger for critical joints, especially if you use the big ones.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
will the wood change shape with the seasons to require something like adjustable leveler in the feet?

what is the joinery at the top of the crossbucks (what is that bracing called?)

damn, have @MannyL358 make a documentary! i got a million questions!

(i pocket screw everything - although i do have a biscuit cutter that gets called into action once per year)

SmooveP

will the wood change shape with the seasons to require something like adjustable leveler in the feet?

what is the joinery at the top of the crossbucks (what is that bracing called?)

damn, have @MannyL358 make a documentary! i got a million questions!

(i pocket screw everything - although i do have a biscuit cutter that gets called into action once per year)
I told Chris he needs to keep the room at 69.5 degrees and 45% humidity forever (or until the check clears).
It's a double reverse blind dovetail mortise.

RobW

I told Chris he needs to keep the room at 69.5 degrees and 45% humidity forever (or until the check clears).
It's a double reverse blind dovetail mortise.
now I know who ill use when im ready for it. do you do any work for joe Jackson out of Monmouth beach?

SmooveP

what's the weight limit for a shelf of that design? I'm looking for some space saving options for my audio equipment
Not sure. It's surprisingly sturdy, though. The shelves are dadoed into the vertical supports, and the unit can be secured to the wall if extra support is needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom