looking for local roads for a beginner

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sooo the fiance finally (at the behest of her foot dr and the dumbass lucky chance she was in the shop with me when they had something on sale in her size) bought a road bike(i wish it had been a mtn bike, but one step at a time) to help stay in shape. I would like to find some local roads that are beginner friendly to take her on, we just bought our house in Union (on the springfield border, near the old union shop-rite) last year so im not real familiar with the area and what is and isnt rideable, especially for a new rider(i also spend most of my pedal time in the woods . . . ) Does anyone ride road bikes in the area and have a place i could take her to ride, if we can leave from the house it would be even better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not sure exactly where you are in Union but if you make your way to Milltown rd. you can hop on this loop.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1058849980

Basically you have to head west. The roads are somewhat busy until you get out past Summit. Also I'm not sure of your wife's fitness level, there is some climbing to get out of union and to points west. You may want to consider driving out and parking at Long Hill Tavern on Meyersiville rd. This is the gateway to the Great Swamp. The roads are flat, traffic is lighter and the views are scenic.

Sounds like you are going to need a road bike as well.:)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also, there is Warninaco Park in Roselle. It's a 2 mile loop in the park, with one way traffic. It can get boring going around in circles but it's relatively close to Union.
This park has a lot of different ethnic back grounds which I find interesting, others my be intimidated...just sayin.

Warinanco Park
Roselle, NJ 07036
(908) 527-4000

https://goo.gl/maps/C3aXKVqeD5U2

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We live right near where liberty ave and morris ave intersect, i have a road bike that i ride on my lunch breaks when time restricts my off road riding (which is more often then not this year with life and weather getting in the way)

Thanks for the loop, i think she will probably have to work up to spending that much time on the bike, Looks to me like the person who created that track is about the same fitness level as I am at (its hard to gauge since the roads i 'normally' ride are all flat, but we average 20+)

That rout actually starts riding distance from her parents house (in Kenilworth), so it definitely something to work towards,

ill be sure to check out warinanco park as well

rlb

I lived in Springfield near the DMV for 3 years and I did a fair amount of road riding from there. In my opinion it's not a great area for road riding, even less so for a beginner. You'll spend a fair number of miles in busy congested roads until you reach something a little more "serene". The best option is to make your way west as easily as you can and work branch out from there. I would typically snake my way into Summit then branch out towards Morristown or SW to the Watchung reservation, Warren, Bernards/Bridgewater etc. But those are some long rides for a beginner, and you have even less "easy" access to Summit than I did.

You might want to look at NJBikeMap.com for road suggestions. You can also scour my strava from 2012-2013 to get some routes. It might be best to start off at a park and ride from there (though not ideal) because you can get some nicer roads from the start.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
having taken my wife out on a couple road rides a year i would recommend driving somewhere relatively flat and not busy with traffic and making a morning or afternoon of it. think more like "having a good time out riding bikes" vs making it a "cyclist thing".

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You're probably gonna need to drive somewhere to get her on better roads, to start. Most shops organize either beginners or women only rides.
Hilltop does
IMG_7872.PNG

So does Marty's
IMG_7871.PNG

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
having taken my wife out on a couple road rides a year i would recommend driving somewhere relatively flat and not busy with traffic and making a morning or afternoon of it. think more like "having a good time out riding bikes" vs making it a "cyclist thing".
This * 100. Find a secluded bike path that is flat with nice views. Drive into NYC and take her on the Greenway if you have to. Only way to get a beginner to like biking. If they have to deal with cars and hills, they're gonna quit before they begin. I took my gf on the Heritage Trail in NY, beach path on Staten Island, and Greenway. When she started to like it, we did twisties at Six Mile, Anthill at Stewart, and Minnewaska big loop. Start them easy if you want them to get hooked, then they'll want to get better themselves so they're not slowing you down.

Before you use this plan, make sure you're ok losing your bike or needing to get her a better one soon.

OverThatHill

I live in Springfield and when forced to ride on the road basically head west into Mountainside trying to loop into the neighborhoods that parallel Mountain Ave. I end up heading up into Watchung reservation to loop back across the top of Baltusrol but you could stay down the hill and make it an out and back. The other suggestions are much better in terms of avoiding traffic, especially the great swamp which is a nice easy ride, but if you were looking to ride from the house I'd head that way.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i actually worked with karen clark to get beginner women riders ready for the 18 mile route of the NJ Gran Fondo... we did it two years in a row. i needed a break to work on mountain biking but she still does those rides with the ladies we worked with... we tried to do the least busy roads we could find and always started from locations around morristown. we also taught them rules of the road, how to be safe riding, etc... so i would recommend seeking karen out... see what rides she has going on if you're willing to come to morristown. usually ladies only with the exception of the occasional male sweeper to help out.

Supermoto

Liberty state park is a nice safe place to ride for a beginner. You can ride on the paths and don't have to ride on the road with cars. 1 loop is around 10 miles and there is a beer garden right near by. Plus it is open until 10pm so you can ride after work

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sooo the fiance finally (at the behest of her foot dr and the dumbass lucky chance she was in the shop with me when they had something on sale in her size) bought a road bike(i wish it had been a mtn bike, but one step at a time) to help stay in shape. I would like to find some local roads that are beginner friendly to take her on, we just bought our house in Union (on the springfield border, near the old union shop-rite) last year so im not real familiar with the area and what is and isnt rideable, especially for a new rider(i also spend most of my pedal time in the woods . . . ) Does anyone ride road bikes in the area and have a place i could take her to ride, if we can leave from the house it would be even better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have a destination involved. Quick stop at a general store for a treat (ice cream or swedish fish) works.

columbia trail is good for this - beer in long valley, ice cream in califon, lots of stuff in high bridge.

huffster

When she started to like it, we did twisties at Six Mile, Anthill at Stewart, and Minnewaska big loop.
Do you have a Strava of what you are referring to as "Minnewaska big loop"? Or can you otherwise describe it a little more? I've got the pertinent NYNJTC map, so I can follow along. This has potential to attract my wife to ride a bike. We both love it up there.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you have a Strava of what you are referring to as "Minnewaska big loop"? Or can you otherwise describe it a little more? I've got the pertinent NYNJTC map, so I can follow along. This has potential to attract my wife to ride a bike. We both love it up there.
I have no idea where my file went, but this loop is great for people that aren't very strong riders and provides awesome views. If you park at the upper lot and you take Lower Awosting by accident, your wife will have a bad time. This was one of my gf's first bike rides together and she loved it. If you want some extra mileage, you can do a loop around Lake Awosting with is easy, and a small loop around Lake Minnewaska which has some punchier climbs towards the East side.
https://www.strava.com/segments/11818923

p.s. I thought I was responding to the OP because I'm sure you've been up here before, but it's all carriage road and a great ride just relax and pedal. By big loop I mean more than just the small one around Lake Minnewaska. That's what most people go there to see and walk because going out to Awosting is a bit of an adventure on foot.

huffster

Not to hijack, but now that I know what loop you mean, I agree that is pretty newb friendly.

As evidence, I took my 2 teen daughters and 2 of their friends there a few years back. We rode from the top parking by Lake Minnewaska. We took Upper Awosting out, locked our bikes to a tree and took a little hike to Rainbow falls for a picnic and "shower" in the falls, which they loved. Then we returned to the bikes, and rode out to Lake Awosting. Took a nice swim in the lake out there, which was another hit. We then went around the lake and back on Lower Awosting.

The only crusher was at the end when you need to climb back up to the upper parking. If I had it to do over, I would've just had the 4 of them hang out down there for 10 min. while I rode up by myself, grabbed car and came down to get them. But, the final climb made the pizza in New Paltz taste even better!

I have no idea where my file went, but this loop is great for people that aren't very strong riders and provides awesome views. If you park at the upper lot and you take Lower Awosting by accident, your wife will have a bad time. This was one of my gf's first bike rides together and she loved it. If you want some extra mileage, you can do a loop around Lake Awosting with is easy, and a small loop around Lake Minnewaska which has some punchier climbs towards the East side.
https://www.strava.com/segments/11818923

p.s. I thought I was responding to the OP because I'm sure you've been up here before, but it's all carriage road and a great ride just relax and pedal. By big loop I mean more than just the small one around Lake Minnewaska. That's what most people go there to see and walk because going out to Awosting is a bit of an adventure on foot.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is moving an option? :D

unfortunately, NO its not, with both of our work locations this is about the area I am stuck with :/

This * 100. Find a secluded bike path that is flat with nice views. Drive into NYC and take her on the Greenway if you have to. Only way to get a beginner to like biking. If they have to deal with cars and hills, they're gonna quit before they begin. I took my gf on the Heritage Trail in NY, beach path on Staten Island, and Greenway. When she started to like it, we did twisties at Six Mile, Anthill at Stewart, and Minnewaska big loop. Start them easy if you want them to get hooked, then they'll want to get better themselves so they're not slowing you down.

Before you use this plan, make sure you're ok losing your bike or needing to get her a better one soon.

this is exactly what i want to do, just not sure where to go locally, she wont want to drive far to try it out (even tho at this point she bought a nice bike and has kind of committed to it . . . ) I grew up in Kinnelon so i know the areas farther north, but again, drive time is a killer for her.

as for the bike issue, i think im safe, she bought a pretty nice trek lexa and is almost a foot shorter than i am, she will never fit on my bike!

Liberty state park is a nice safe place to ride for a beginner. You can ride on the paths and don't have to ride on the road with cars. 1 loop is around 10 miles and there is a beer garden right near by. Plus it is open until 10pm so you can ride after work

I used to ride a couple days a week at liberty state park when i was living in hoboken going to college, good ride, typically a bit much traffic getting there from home but i will keep it in mind for sure, i dont remember a 10 mile loop around tho, maybe its just been too long :/

thanks for the ideas guys, so far i see the following
Warniaco park (thanks iggy)
columbia trail
Minnewaska lake loop

@MissJR, we live in Union so Morristown is less than half an hour, very doable if i can talk her into riding with other ladies instead of me, that may be a challenge.

rlb

I'm not 100% sure (maybe @icebiker would know, or @MadisonDan ) but I think there are some paved paths in
Loantaka Brook Park in Madison. I know for sure there's a paved path off of Woodland Ave and it would be a good starting point for some nicer roads or to get into the great swamp area. However I have mixed feelings on the great swamp for a beginner, because Long Hill Rd is fairly narrow at points with little shoulder. It was my experience that you get a lot of close passing on that road.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not 100% sure (maybe @icebiker would know, or @MadisonDan ) but I think there are some paved paths in
Loantaka Brook Park in Madison. I know for sure there's a paved path off of Woodland Ave and it would be a good starting point for some nicer roads or to get into the great swamp area. However I have mixed feelings on the great swamp for a beginner, because Long Hill Rd is fairly narrow at points with little shoulder. It was my experience that you get a lot of close passing on that road.

loantaka is paved (there's a few non paved trails that the horses at the stables on south street use)... you can also connect it to giralda and traction line (with a little bit of road)... i'm sure i have a strava of that loop somewhere

EDIT: loop from my place but you get the idea: https://www.strava.com/activities/162462122
and there's a 4 way intersection in loantaka where i went to the right, but you can see there's other trails. only thing to worry about it one steep hill in giralda near where you cross the street to connect to loantaka

one more loop: https://www.strava.com/activities/174821636 where we started at loantaka, did some back streets and used the trails to loop back to the parking lot (with a trip to swiss chalet afterwards)

Last edited:
Top Bottom