Looking For GTI Advice

Captain Brainstorm

I'm running an APR Stage 3 kit in my MK6 with no exhaust. It's just north of 400hp. Super easy to do and about the same cost as most VW folk spend on airbags and 3 piece wheels.

I thought about doing this to mine, but I don't have the limited slip diff the newer cars have, and I get too much wheel-spin with the modest power that it makes now. Also, I'm worried that the DSG won't be able to handle it, although I'm sure its over-engineered to a certain degree, not sure if it can handle double the power. End of the day I decided to keep the gun-powder dry for a new car and enjoy the GTI as is.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm running an APR Stage 3 kit in my MK6 with no exhaust. It's just north of 400hp. Super easy to do and about the same cost as most VW folk spend on airbags and 3 piece wheels.
As in you don't have an exhaust at all and just dump under the cabin? Or turbo, intake, IC upgrades and stock exhaust?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
As in you don't have an exhaust at all and just dump under the cabin? Or turbo, intake, IC upgrades and stock exhaust?

APR downpipe. Hollow cat. Turndown right after the cat. The exhaust exits just under the center console.

Steve Vai

I thought about doing this to mine, but I don't have the limited slip diff the newer cars have, and I get too much wheel-spin with the modest power that it makes now. Also, I'm worried that the DSG won't be able to handle it, although I'm sure its over-engineered to a certain degree, not sure if it can handle double the power. End of the day I decided to keep the gun-powder dry for a new car and enjoy the GTI as is.

A stage 1 really wakes up the car. It makes it feel the way it should out of the factory.

The diff and clutch actually do a great job at Stage3. My car will spin the tires before the clutch slips. On the track you can feel the clutch slip but that could just be from beating on the car.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I got stage 1 APR on my MK7, at around 2k miles. That and the intake.
The clutch lasted about a thousand miles after that. But once I put a stage 2 southbend clutch in it's been fine.

Steve Vai

I got stage 1 APR on my MK7, at around 2k miles. That and the intake.
The clutch lasted about a thousand miles after that. But once I put a stage 2 southbend clutch in it's been fine.

I think the diff in the MK7 puts a lot more stress on the clutch than the MK6. Everyone I know with a 7 has replaced the clutch already.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
APR downpipe. Hollow cat. Turndown right after the cat. The exhaust exits just under the center console.
Unfortunately VW has too long of a warranty these days, so no mods for me at least for a little. Some day I'm sure I'll just say fuck it and go R turbo, IC, etc. and tune for reliable-ish vroom psshh. It'll still just be a daily. My future 1994 R32 GTR will be the fun car that's broken all the time with straight through exhaust.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the diff in the MK7 puts a lot more stress on the clutch than the MK6. Everyone I know with a 7 has replaced the clutch already.

Stock HP is much higher. Stage 1 on each is much higher on the 7 as well.

I’m curious how the auto handles the ECU update. Because I drive a LOT. And sitting in traffic with a heavy clutch is making me think of doing the unthinkable and buying one.

My wife had a TDI sport wagon and that was auto. I didn’t mind driving that at all.

Steve Vai

Unfortunately VW has too long of a warranty these days, so no mods for me at least for a little. Some day I'm sure I'll just say fuck it and go R turbo, IC, etc. and tune for reliable-ish vroom psshh. It'll still just be a daily. My future 1994 R32 GTR will be the fun car that's broken all the time with straight through exhaust.

I keep looking at the GFB diverter valve to get a little more engine noise. They're super quiet stock.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I keep looking at the GFB diverter valve to get a little more engine noise. They're super quiet stock.
Me too. I hate BOV's because they just cover your bumper in black shit and sound tacky unless you make 500+ hp, but most BPV's are way too quiet. I've been looking hard at the GFB too. I loved the piston actuated Forge BPV when I had my Genesis Coupe. Wish they made the same exact style for this. Even with it, it was still a bit quiet until I got an aluminum intake which really made it resonate.

Steve Vai

Me too. I hate BOV's because they just cover your bumper in black shit and sound tacky unless you make 500+ hp, but most BPV's are way too quiet. I've been looking hard at the GFB too. I loved the piston actuated Forge BPV when I had my Genesis Coupe. Wish they made the same exact style for this. Even with it, it was still a bit quiet until I got an aluminum intake which really made it resonate.

I did the ECS upgraded spring kit which got little bit of a Braaaap-fff-fff-f-fff-fffff sound but you can't hear it inside the car because, no exhaust. So my car goes braaaap-boom-boomm-bang-boom-blubbbbaahnahhhh

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m curious how the auto handles the ECU update. Because I drive a LOT. And sitting in traffic with a heavy clutch is making me think of doing the unthinkable and buying one.
I love the DSG for everyday driving, which includes a lot of traffic and only once in a while do I miss my 6MT. My only complaint about the DSG is that 'D' mode is too conservative (races to 6th gear too soon) and 'S' mode is mapped too aggressive (stupid blip downshift to 2nd every time you slow to a stop). Supposedly the APR TCU upgrade makes the car just like it should have come from the factory. Mine has the 6sp DSG, not the 7sp that the 2019's have so it's possible they fixed this already.

I hear DSG handles the APR Stage 1 ok but that the APR TCU (DSG) update in combination with Stage 1 really makes the system sing. The TCU upgrade increases clutch plate clamping pressure to eliminate clutch slip.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm surprised software would do this. I'm also assuming you do not have the APR tune on yours?

It probably limits the torque curve. My clutch started slipping because I’d be doing 70 in 6th and pass people without downshifting. That ecu upgrade makes like 370 lbs of torque so going from 70 to 95 without downshifting was pretty Fn awesome. The stock clutch really didn’t stand a chance to last.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It probably limits the torque curve. My clutch started slipping because I’d be doing 70 in 6th and pass people without downshifting. That ecu upgrade makes like 370 lbs of torque so going from 70 to 95 without downshifting was pretty Fn awesome. The stock clutch really didn’t stand a chance to last.
Gotta take me for a spin.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The 7DSG is totally different. I didn't really like the 6DSG because of what EO said, Normal was lazy and Sport was overly aggressive. My friend has a GLI with an APR tuned 6DSG. The 7DSG feels like his GLI. Normal is fine and Sport is just right. I would say the actual shifts are a little softer than the 6DSG but I'm very happy with it.

Even without a tune, the DSG holds more power than the manual. Stage 2 GTI or Stage 1 Golf R power, apparently.

This thing is deceptively quick, even stock. It's gotta be underrated at 230hp.

@Magic FFS take 90 seconds and get the stickers off your hitch receiver.

20190326_180800.jpg

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The 7DSG is totally different. I didn't really like the 6DSG because of what EO said, Normal was lazy and Sport was overly aggressive. My friend has a GLI with an APR tuned 6DSG. The 7DSG feels like his GLI. Normal is fine and Sport is just right. I would say the actual shifts are a little softer than the 6DSG but I'm very happy with it.

Even without a tune, the DSG holds more power than the manual. Stage 2 GTI or Stage 1 Golf R power, apparently.

This thing is deceptively quick, even stock. It's gotta be underrated at 230hp.

@Magic FFS take 90 seconds and get the stickers off your hitch receiver.

View attachment 91388
Did your hitch get ceramic coat?

Top Bottom