Looking For GTI Advice

Captain Brainstorm

I looked at the new Rabbit edition and that's what I definitely want, just not sure I can afford it without donating more plasma and/or b+ whole blood. I understand this will be a limited production run so I'm guessing there won't be much room for negotiation even if I did find myself a few platelets short of a standard human.

The great thing about the GTI is that even if you can’t afford a brand new one, you can pick one up used and customize it for a relatively modest cost. The cast iron 2.0 is a stout motor that has been around forever, there are so many tuning options available (I’d stick to the manual transmission if your going to tune). You can adjust the power, handling, and looks to make it unique. I know people who were pushing 400hp in theirs.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I looked at the new Rabbit edition and that's what I definitely want, just not sure I can afford it without donating more plasma and/or b+ whole blood. I understand this will be a limited production run so I'm guessing there won't be much room for negotiation even if I did find myself a few platelets short of a standard human.

I am sure the business plan for VW is to limit production on the Rabbit enough to allow it's dealer network to get close to MSRP on them. They are still a good deal (IMHO) but I quickly got annoyed at the NJ dealers who wanted full MSRP to order a Rabbit in December, even after Dee, 3 co-workers, and me all leased Jettas when they had their fire sale on them. They are treating the Rabbits like they are a GT car. And now the few that have come into the dealer stock are being discounted slightly.

Anyways, there are deals to be had. I have a written deal on a blue Rabbit coming in late February at $3000 off sticker. Will the GM honor the deal? Time will tell. I'm a little nervous about it TBH. I used the pricing at the MD/VA VW dealers to get a decent deal. And the dealer is in PA, so the max dealer doc fee they can charge is $150. So no $500-$600 dealer doc fee bullshit, either. Fingers crossed I end up with a Rabbit DSG for $28,124!

I know @Magic is considering one as well, and got a quick quote of $2500 off a Urano Gray manual.

Many of the Gray I have seen have a "Bumperdillo" on it, which looks horrendous. It shows up on the window sticker so check carefully.

Anyways, there is an updated order guide indicating that Urano Gray production ends in 2 weeks and Cornflower Blue ends at the end of March. Supposedly there will be 750 gray and 750 blue and the rest will be white or black.

I would love to lease an 18 S DSG and just beat the shit out of it for 3 years, but they lease so terribly it just doesn't make any sense.

onetracker

Is the 24 valve V6 motor in the euro an the same as the GTI motor. Considering a 2002 camper with this motor and wonder if the reliability is the same as mentioned above. Thx for any advice.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the 24 valve V6 motor in the euro an the same as the GTI motor. Considering a 2002 camper with this motor and wonder if the reliability is the same as mentioned above. Thx for any advice.

Nope. Gti has a 4. That's probably the same 6 that came in passats or atlas's. But I read somewhere that vw makes an absurd amount of different engines.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yes, the 24 valve VR6 in the Eurovan is the same basic motor that came in the Gen 3 GTI. They began as 12 valve, then the later variants moved to 24 valve. The Gen 3 GTI motors were 2.8 liter, but that motor has been increased to as large as 3.6 liters for other applications.

I had one of these in a 2003 GTI with the 24 valve, and in my experience, they're as reliable as can be. It was a wonderful engine. They sound amazing with a quality exhaust system, too.

All the issues I've ever heard regarding Eurovans have had to do with electrical gremlins.

I'm sure @jimvreeland can chime in here, among others.

Captain Brainstorm

Yes, the 24 valve VR6 in the Eurovan is the same basic motor that came in the Gen 3 GTI. They began as 12 valve, then the later variants moved to 24 valve. The Gen 3 GTI motors were 2.8 liter, but that motor has been increased to as large as 3.6 liters for other applications.

I had one of these in a 2003 GTI with the 24 valve, and in my experience, they're as reliable as can be. It was a wonderful engine. They sound amazing with a quality exhaust system, too.

All the issues I've ever heard regarding Eurovans have had to do with electrical gremlins.

I'm sure @jimvreeland can chime in here, among others.

The older VR6 is rock solid. It had an iron block, port injection, and chain-driven cams. The rest of the car will eventually rot away around the still running motor, like happened to me. I forget when VW started galvanizing, maybe that year van is galvanized, in which case it won’t rot out.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

My buddy had a GTI VR6. I absolutely loved that motor. Made great power and sounded awesome. It ate coil packs but it had about 100K miles on it.

I had to look up "Bumperdillo." It sounded NSFW. Disappointed.

Lol. VW dropped the ball with it. That thing belongs on Tiguans and Atlases, not a GTI. It's worse on dark colors.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, that’s the stuff I remember. Hopefully somebody has come up with a simple solution by now. Bear in mind that I last researched this when Bush 43 was president.

We ended up with an Westy-like E350 pop-top with an engine and transmission from the Cretaceous period. Whether we were in Kanab or Ketchum or Kamloops, we figured there would be a Ford dealer that had parts and could service a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. That engine couldn’t be more different than a VW VR6 though.

I’d still love to have a nice Eurovan Westy some day.

onetracker

Totally understand. The size of the euro van conversion interests me cause it is perfect for 2+ dog to go totally off grid. On he other hand, I would love to own a Westy myself largely due to the fact that it would fit in my garage. Crazy how much coin folks are willing to throw down on a Westy these days. Seems like a good investment.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
pulled a rabbit out of my hat. next question... is it worth it to get an after-market hitch installed or do i just get the cross-bars for my 1up tray?

View attachment 91219
Copycat. Now I need to return mine.

I got the Curt hitch, along with seemingly 98% of other GTI hitch owners. It takes under 30min to install yourself. It doesn't look pretty because it hangs below the bumper, but I chose it over the need to remove the bumper, have to trim a piece of the valence, and spend more money on the hitch itself.

Hitch racks > roof racks, always. Easier to load and unload, more stable, usually cheaper, won't have mud and crap falling on your roof, etc.
4BBE2EE1-D903-49D4-BA1B-1D8870B545A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went with the Torklift EcoHitch, which is considerably more expensive and complicated to install since you have to remove the rear bumper cover, but it sits higher for more clearance on steep driveways and it’s the only one available in 2”. Prolly 3 hours to install in my driveway in the dark in the rain.

bucknejo

Copycat. Now I need to return mine.

I got the Curt hitch, along with seemingly 98% of other GTI hitch owners. It takes under 30min to install yourself. It doesn't look pretty because it hangs below the bumper, but I chose it over the need to remove the bumper, have to trim a piece of the valence, and spend more money on the hitch itself.

Hitch racks > roof racks, always. Easier to load and unload, more stable, usually cheaper, won't have mud and crap falling on your roof, etc.
View attachment 91243

whoa snap, nice setup. i should do this.

is this the one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C11412.html ?

...and - any idea who can install that's close to allendale? i doubt i have the tools or the brains to do it myself.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom