Looking For GTI Advice

Get him a Redline Speedworx gift card for Xmas.
I think it has enough juice for now. :) Let's see how he does with it in stock form.

I'm going to send him and my daughter to the Tire Rack Teen Street Survival school at the end of the summer. Seems like a great deal, full day of instruction and driving for $95. Anyone here ever done it?

Fate. My friend is a PITA but it pays off when it comes to keeping car clean. I get a dinner out of it too!
That driving program seems like a value and valuable lessons to learn.
Signed, aspiring cool dad too.

For all of you VW owners struggling with the lame stock radios, (I mean 2008 GTI with no Bluetooth? WTF?). I just made the leap on one of the RCD330 units off Ebay. Best purchase, ordered Saturday and showed up today from China! Total time to install about 20 minutes, total stock fit. Works great Bluetooth and even better with Apple Carplay. For $165 and free shipping it's a no brainier. I can post pics if you want, but this is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253553183891?ViewItem=&item=253553183891

For all of you VW owners struggling with the lame stock radios, (I mean 2008 GTI with no Bluetooth? WTF?). I just made the leap on one of the RCD330 units off Ebay. Best purchase, ordered Saturday and showed up today from China! Total time to install about 20 minutes, total stock fit. Works great Bluetooth and even better with Apple Carplay. For $165 and free shipping it's a no brainier. I can post pics if you want, but this is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253553183891?ViewItem=&item=253553183891

My 2015 is the only mk7 without carplay or Android auto. I'd love to get something aftermarket, but there's too much integrated into the head unit to go that way.

My wife's tiguan has carplay and auto. It's cool, but I can live without. I stll have Bluetooth

The fact that you can buy a head unit for less than $200 that works reliably, supports bluetooth well and offers things like carplay/android auto and yet auto makers can make absolute garbage head units, drives me nuts. And they charge crazy amounts for adding features like bluetooth on a lot of cars.

Hopefully no one is offended by me bringing this thread back to life, but my wife will soon be quitting her job at BMW and I'll be forced back into the car market... prior to the not-so-sweet corporate deal they offered on company cars I had a 6 speed 2010 GTI and am now drooling over the chance to get one again. I don't think I have budget for a new one, so maybe I can pick something up with low milage. Anyone have any experience with the guys at Joe Heidt on rt 17 in Ramsey? I spotted this one online: https://www.joeheidt.com/vehicle-details/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-se-ramsey-nj-id-10392590

Anything anyone can share about certified pre-owned process would be great, i.e. warrantee (if any) cost of ownership things like typical annual maintenance, etc? My prior GTI was a lease so I really didn't pay attention to stuff I should be looking at on the ownership side.

Hopefully no one is offended by me bringing this thread back to life, but my wife will soon be quitting her job at BMW and I'll be forced back into the car market... prior to the not-so-sweet corporate deal they offered on company cars I had a 6 speed 2010 GTI and am now drooling over the chance to get one again. I don't think I have budget for a new one, so maybe I can pick something up with low milage. Anyone have any experience with the guys at Joe Heidt on rt 17 in Ramsey? I spotted this one online: https://www.joeheidt.com/vehicle-details/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-se-ramsey-nj-id-10392590

Anything anyone can share about certified pre-owned process would be great, i.e. warrantee (if any) cost of ownership things like typical annual maintenance, etc? My prior GTI was a lease so I really didn't pay attention to stuff I should be looking at on the ownership side.

Definitely get a certified car, best warranty. Having said that, I never had a single issue with mine (hope I didn’t jinx it). If you get the DSG, it needs to be serviced every 40k. Other than that, oil change, etc. is very straight forward DIY. The GTI is at its best with the least options, it’s an inherently good handling and driving car.

The 2015 values have dropped a bit since the 16-17 have the better head units with USB and Apple Car Play and the 18s have the facelift bumpers and lights and the 6/72 warranty. If that stuff doesn't bother you, use it to your advantage in negotations.

Also, the sunroofs can/do leak, so check the headliner very carefully for water stains.

I have a 2014 Wolfsburg GTI (last of the Gen 6) that I've been super happy with. It's at 95,000 miles and 4 payments remaining, and I'd been thinking all along that I'd keep it another year or two, but I made the mistake of looking at the 2019 Rabbit edition (thanks to @Carson bringing it to my attention a while ago), and now I'm giving some thought to dumping my current car while it still has solid equity. :rolleyes:

That being said, I'd reiterate the notion that less content equals more fun and less headaches with these cars.

I have a 2014 Wolfsburg GTI (last of the Gen 6) that I've been super happy with. It's at 95,000 miles and 4 payments remaining, and I'd been thinking all along that I'd keep it another year or two, but I made the mistake of looking at the 2019 Rabbit edition (thanks to @Carson bringing it to my attention a while ago), and now I'm giving some thought to dumping my current car while it still has solid equity. :rolleyes:

That being said, I'd reiterate the notion that less content equals more fun and less headaches with these cars.

I looked at the new Rabbit edition and that's what I definitely want, just not sure I can afford it without donating more plasma and/or b+ whole blood. I understand this will be a limited production run so I'm guessing there won't be much room for negotiation even if I did find myself a few platelets short of a standard human.

OMG. I've been dreaming of trading in my GTI for that Rabbit in cornflower blue...

2019-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-Cornflower-Blue_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom