Looking For GTI Advice

The boy and his new GTI.
IMG_20180616_114358764.jpg

This one is so clean I bought it on the spot, 85K miles. It could pass as certified pre-owned and has a second set of 18" wheels. The DSG that we looked at first had 144K and looked like it had twice that. It's amazing how much you can hide in photos on CL. I almost asked the guy to refund my gas money.

The boy and his new GTI.
View attachment 70642

This one is so clean I bought it on the spot, 85K miles. It could pass as certified pre-owned and has a second set of 18" wheels. The DSG that we looked at first had 144K and looked like it had twice that. It's amazing how much you can hide in photos on CL. I almost asked the guy to refund my gas money.
Hooray for cool dads. “When I was a kid” all I got was an 84 bronco 2 with a mice infestation and vaperlock.

Hooray for cool dads. “When I was a kid” all I got was an 84 bronco 2 with a mice infestation and vaperlock.
Tell me about it, my first car was a $50 '72 Vega! Luckily I fixed it up sold it and bought a '70 SS 396 Chevelle. :cool:
I always say not to drive something boring.

Lucky kid. I had to buy my first car, and it wasn't nearly as cool. And my second, and third, and fourth...

P.S. The Vega was a GT. Orange with a Black stripe. :banana:
And you did not learn your lesson back then about GM vehicles, hows the Acadia doing?

The first ever car engine I rebuilt was for my $75 '71 Vega. didn't need need dad to help buy it, just lift the engine out and into the basement... lol

And you did not learn your lesson back then about GM vehicles, hows the Acadia doing?

The first ever car engine I rebuilt was for my $75 '71 Vega. didn't need need dad to help buy it, just lift the engine out and into the basement... lol

I think I may have told this story, but that Vega used to burn so much oil that I used to carry a gallon of 50 weight in the trunk and would dump the whole thing in when the oil light would come on. Just pull over, open the trunk and dump. Had a local cop pull me over and tell me that I couldn't drive the car that way anymore. :)
My first motor swap happened shortly after.

GM is hit and miss. The 396 (402) in the Chevelle was awesome, many 350s with no issues at all (current Fidodie 5.3L has almost 270K and still going strong. Does GMC do better QC?) It's an Enclave BTW, biggest lemon ever.

Last edited:
I think I may have told this story, but that Vega used to burn so much oil that I used to carry a gallon of 50 weight in the trunk and would dump the whole thing in when the oil light would come on. Just pull over, open the trunk and dump. Had a local cop pull me over and tell me that I couldn't drive the car that way anymore. :)
My first motor swap happened shortly after.

GM is hit and miss. The 396 (402) in the Chevelle was awesome, many 350s with no issues at all (current Fidodie 5.3L has almost 270K and still going strong. Does GMC do better QC? It's an Enclave BTW, biggest lemon ever.
GMC vs Chevy, the part numbers are all the same except for trim. The newer LS engines are a mess, yeah they got the oil consumption fixed that crap started in 2007 with the DOD.
Now they eat cams/lifters/injectors. 8 and 9 speed trans are a cluster F.

Ain't nothing like a BBC chevelle. Was that a 4-speed? Are you kicking yourself for selling it?

GMC vs Chevy, the part numbers are all the same except for trim. The newer LS engines are a mess, yeah they got the oil consumption fixed that crap started in 2007 with the DOD.
Now they eat cams/lifters/injectors. 8 and 9 speed trans are a cluster F.

Ain't nothing like a BBC chevelle. Was that a 4-speed? Are you kicking yourself for selling it?
No, it was an automatic but had a high stall speed converter. Had working Cowl Induction and everything. Yes, gave it to my little brother and it wound up in a junkyard. It's worth way more than my '70 Vette.

No, it was an automatic but had a high stall speed converter. Had working Cowl Induction and everything. Yes, gave it to my little brother and it wound up in a junkyard. It's worth way more than my '70 Vette.
They sure are! I've been following this guy on tube. If we only knew back then.

M3Tim, I like the the GM R/V vans (buick, chevy,GMC, Saturn) They are the #1 contribution to my retirement fund. Oh and trust me the new ones are the same as yours. the gift that keeps on giving.

Here is a quick shot with the 18s installed and fresh brakes. The rotors on it were completely shot from rust, big chunks flaking off. Bought some Nakamoto drilled and slotted off Ebay, all four rotors and ceramic pads for $130 shipped. Look pretty high quality (10 year warranty), rotors are zinc coated and everything fit perfect. For the price I had to take a shot, I'll report back with how they hold up.

IMG_20180629_060428461.jpgIMG_20180629_060437239.jpgIMG_20180629_060445482.jpg

Back
Top Bottom