Looking For GTI Advice

Not sure if this thread is turning into another Manual vs Automatic thread but my MK7 is DSG and it scratches 75% of the manual itch (prior to this car I drove a manual for 10+ years). I definitely don't miss manual driving in my stop-n-go daily commute, which is unfortunately where I spend most of my windsheild time. DSG is pretty darn fun. Shifts are lighning and you get the same feeling of disconnectedness that you don't get with a slush box. It seems that most of the problems related to DSGs are due to improper service at the 40k intervals. The cost to do the 40k service at a good independent VAG shop isn't bad.

Yeah, VR6 sound is music

Come on; knee steering, best steering.

Manual FTW. If you know how to drive, your clutch will also last quite a while. I have 160k on my hamstermobile, and that's a Kia. Automatics definitely present more potential issues and shit to break if you plan on buying a car, plus they're cheaper when you buy rather than lease. I've also been considering a GTI as of late. I love hatchbacks, and it's the right amount of power for me to enjoy without getting in trouble like my S14 days. I was always turned off from VW from past issues where friends had electrical and heater core issues, one guy had ice crystals blow out of his vents on cold days. They seem to be much better now.

They still have gremlins when you start modifying them. With my current tune I can't close both windows at the same time using the quick up button, I have to hold the button for each one separate. I also can't use my sunroof anymore. They may actually be unrelated now that I type that out. Maybe my sunroof just broke. Whatever.

If you go farther into the mods some bigger gremlins will pop up, like the EPC light. My GTI is just over 400hp ATM and every few months something misfires and trips the EPC. I know how to deal with it but there was a trip or 3 on the flatbed to RSW before I figured that out.

Yeah, VR6 sound is music

I so wanted a MK5 R32 when I bought my MK6 but I couldn't get past the DSG no matter how good that car sounds. It's a shame the went to a 2.0 in the MK6 R. I know it's faster but the allure of that car was the noise.

I think the newer DSGs are supposed to be 1000x better than the older ones. But I could be talking out my ass...

As for buying used, there are lots of buying used checklists on boards like vwvortex.com. If he's really serious about buying one, invest in some sort of OBD tool that can read VW codes like Carista or OBDeleven (better).

It seems that most of the problems related to DSGs are due to improper service at the 40k intervals. The cost to do the 40k service at a good independent VAG shop isn't bad.

40,000 mile service?

Is this the 1950s?

The GTI is an amazing car. I have a '96 VR6 with 260k miles on the clock. Did the timing chain and clutch at 200k. As much as I love the car, I need to let it go because it can't pass VT inspection. The underside of the car has rotted away around the bullet-proof motor. Car looks good, until you go underneath. Apparently VW didn't start galvanizing until later on.

My current GTI is a 2011 with the DSG. I've been driving manuals my entire life, and can tell you that the DSG is amazing. I drive with the paddles all the time, the only time I put it in auto mode is stop and go traffic. Those who tell you its not as "engaging" are full of it. Getting the downshift timing right with the paddles takes practice. The DSG needs a transmission fluid change every 40k miles. Best to let the dealer do it, its $300. The motor has a timing chain that doesn't need to be touched unless you drive like your in the Manaco Grand Prix every day and engine brake like a fiend. Only downside to the pre-2017's is the carbon buildup. The newer ones have port injection in addition to the DI for "low RPM applications". Bullshit, its for the carbon, since the Germans can never admit it when they make a mistake. I had the valves cleaned once at 30k miles, but honestly won't do it again unless its starts running really rough or starts throwing codes.

VW recommends the DSG service every 40K. Yes, the DSG trans on the MKVI's and up are all good and free of all the initial issues with the early trans's. Shifts are hella quick if you play the "pseudo manual" driving game, since the dual clutch mech can engage without need to let up on the throttle. There are some subtle quirks with driving the DSG vs. a regular auto though if that's the way you end up going...

Three pedals! These are very easy to drive even in traffic. I drove my wife's 2010 Wolfsburg a lot on road trips and stuff, really enjoyed that car.

From what we saw with that car (2.0t) and heard from techs, plan to pull the head to scrape out carbon deposits every 60k. Maybe it'll be less of an issue if your kid drives the way I did when I was his age!

How much does this carbon scraping activity usually run for?

How much does this carbon scraping activity usually run for?
From what I've gathered, your motor isn't subject to this issue. It's the 2.0T in the gen 5 and 6 cars.

Carbon buildup and intake manifold failures (who thought such a thing was even possible?) are the two most-discussed problems with these engines.

For what it's worth, I spotted a VW wagon on Amwell rd in Hillsboro east of 206 and just past the Autozone during today's ride. $3950 I think was the asking price. Didn't slow down or stop to look at it tho

I need to start doing some N+1. If I add up all the cars and bikes I've ever owned, I don't even break into the teens.

13 of them were MK1 GTIs. In a former life I raced them so I bought them for parts. Other than that it's just been 1 with each release except the MK5. I skipped that one because it only had a DSG option in the model I wanted. This car is in it's last season so I'll pass it to my son and do a 7.5 next season.

Gas adds weight. I make sure that light is always on.
Not to be Mr. Serious and I get the humor here but....
Not sure about VW's but my understanding is that the fuel pump can overheat and the gasoline acts as a cooler. Hence, not such a great idea to run on a low tank.

Back
Top Bottom