Looking for a solid North loop

rlb

I've been all over DP & Stephen's but I rarely venture into the north side. I'm looking for a good loop but nothing super crazy. I have no aversion to rocks but I'm not looking to ride the most technical of trails either. If anyone has a nice loop to share (or if anyone wants to ride tomorrow morning, around 8:30?) please post up!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you want to do real tech, what's the point of doing North?

I'd hit rollie and lumpy for sure, leave candyass out.

Check the Thursday night mooch thread. PSX123 posts good Garmin links.

rlb

Good point. What I really mean is I'm not looking to have an entire loop full of super technical riding, a nice mix is what I'm after. Does this exist here? I'll check the thread, thanks.

EpicRidr

Start on the Tranquility side

Parking on the Tranquility side gives you a shot at some of the smoother, less rocky stuff, but also gives you the opportunity to get at the best technical stuff, some of which, quite frankly, is beyond me (Candy Ass, Lumpy). Try to include Cardiac and Cardiac Bypass, either up or down or both. All of the orange trail is reasonable. Ice Cream is fun. I might be up for a North ride tomorrow morning, but I'd want to be done by about 10:15 to get to my daughter's soccer game. I find it a little freaky to ride North by myself when it's deserted, but that won't be a problem tomorrow - it's going to be a perfect day to ride.

Blair

I'm looking at a sunday morning ride there starting with the purple trail up the mountain to rollie, etc. A solid 2.5 to 3 hour loop

rlb

Parking on the Tranquility side gives you a shot at some of the smoother, less rocky stuff, but also gives you the opportunity to get at the best technical stuff, some of which, quite frankly, is beyond me (Candy Ass, Lumpy). Try to include Cardiac and Cardiac Bypass, either up or down or both. All of the orange trail is reasonable. Ice Cream is fun. I might be up for a North ride tomorrow morning, but I'd want to be done by about 10:15 to get to my daughter's soccer game. I find it a little freaky to ride North by myself when it's deserted, but that won't be a problem tomorrow - it's going to be a perfect day to ride.

I'm shooting for this loop, will possibly cut out Candy Ass if I'm not feeling it at the end. Let me know if you want to join me, I can possibly start earlier if needed.

HeavyMetaLance

Unless you want to do real tech, what's the point of doing North?

I'd hit rollie and lumpy for sure, leave candyass out.

Check the Thursday night mooch thread. PSX123 posts good Garmin links.

I second that.
I did lumpy bumpy, rollie pollie, and candy ass the other day.

Candyass was really overgrown.

HeavyMetaLance

Oh, and don't bother with the red trail either.
I think there are about 6 or 7 trees down across it.
And not little trees.
I mean huge old growth kind of trees.

crash

the tranquility parking area is the best area to park. try the purple trail loop first, taking an immediate right ( go counterclockwise), then after you empty out from the purple trail on to the white trail, take a right turn and venture out on the white trail until you hit the green and turn around or continue a ways more on white until you hit the yellow, and turn around. Following the white all the way to the end / main parking lot means a lot of pushing back up the hill to just came bumping down for the last mile. Brutal.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been all over DP & Stephen's but I rarely venture into the north side. I'm looking for a good loop but nothing super crazy. I have no aversion to rocks but I'm not looking to ride the most technical of trails either. If anyone has a nice loop to share (or if anyone wants to ride tomorrow morning, around 8:30?) please post up!

Not sure how I missed this. Sorry. Ended up in Stephens for a couple of hours riding solo.

Did you get out there?

rlb

I second that.
I did lumpy bumpy, rollie pollie, and candy ass the other day.

Candyass was really overgrown.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

the tranquility parking area is the best area to park. try the purple trail loop first, taking an immediate right ( go counterclockwise), then after you empty out from the purple trail on to the white trail, take a right turn and venture out on the white trail until you hit the green and turn around or continue a ways more on white until you hit the yellow, and turn around. Following the white all the way to the end / main parking lot means a lot of pushing back up the hill to just came bumping down for the last mile. Brutal.

I think my ride went a little something like this. Maybe.

Not sure how I missed this. Sorry. Ended up in Stephens for a couple of hours riding solo.

Did you get out there?

Yeah, I was out there for quite a while in tortoise mode. Somehow the GPX I was going to follow didn't upload to my GPS properly so I just decided to wing it. I made my way to lumpy with no trouble, but that was quite humbling. I'd say I rode 60% of the trail on the way up and about 15% on the way down. It was a cool view from the top though and I'll definitely be there again to hone my skills. Though it is a bit intimidating being there alone and thinking about taking a bad spill. Anyway, from there I didn't want to head back quite yet so I took a minor detour through SSP and DP to make a nice triple. I wish there was a good connection from DP to north on the west side.

http://app.strava.com/rides/22058098

255498_10151159605647179_1989262822_n.jpg

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Very nice. Feel free to hit me up next time. Would be in for another tripple parker. FTR, Lumpy is humbling for me as well as well as Rollie Polie. Ironically, I prefer Candy Ass for it seems to have more flow to it. Unfortunately, it needs a bit of love these days.

Glad to see you had a good time.

Rock48nj

Reggie I was the guy you helped navigate into deer park yesterday while talking to the couple with that amazing tandem... having only been on a mt. bike since July, riding up orange as you intimated, was humbling to say the least.... got about 3/4 of the way up before I had to hike a bit to the top. .

Awesome day out there, my longest ride to date starting from my house in budd lake, into Stephens from the station road lot and some fun in there on pink/white and then into deer park for a bit before exiting by the school to head to a buddy's place in panther valley for college football and a few beers that never tasted better. Got out this morning for a quick ride in Stephens but my legs are shot.

Getting into North some is next on my list.

rlb

riding up orange as you intimated, was humbling to say the least.... got about 3/4 of the way up before I had to hike a bit to the top. .

Orange is always fun. Once you pass the streams the first section isn't too bad, then climb #2 usually gets me to dab once or twice, but the 3rd hill always stops me. At least you know you can survive anything inside DP once you make it up orange.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions