Looking for a place to train CX near Denville

tbike

Going to give cross racing a shot this year and I'm looking for suggestions on a good park or somewhere else to train near Denville? Any suggestions???

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think there's a spot across the street from the Tourne on the west side.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For a grassy field to do mounts/dismounts/barriers the one on the lower side of the Tourne has worked well for me. Ouside of the strange looks...

tbike

Thanks for the replies. I used the spot across from the Tourne last Friday and yes plenty of strange looks. Not sure why, what's odd about a middle aged man jumping on and off a bike in the middle of a field for no apparent reason??? I was trying to find someplace with a little bit of hill for run ups and off camber. Thanks again.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You could go to Central Park of Morris County and ride around. That's where Marty's had their CX race for a few years.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the replies. I used the spot across from the Tourne last Friday and yes plenty of strange looks. Not sure why, what's odd about a middle aged man jumping on and off a bike in the middle of a field for no apparent reason??? I was trying to find someplace with a little bit of hill for run ups and off camber. Thanks again.

Just 1 jerk's opinion and other people will not agree but...

1. Don't practice run-ups. It's a waste of time
2. Don't worry too much about off-camber stuff. Just go really fast with your cross bike on grass, follow people around, try to go faster. The bike handling will work itself out. Then get specific off-camber work on the race weekends if needed.

Check out the Tuesday night Bubble practice:
https://www.bikereg.com/bubblecross...presented-by-propower-endurance-sports-coachi

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be the other jerk.
1. If you don't do any other weight bearing high intensity sports run-ups are worthwhile even though there isn't a lot of running in local courses.
2. Off cambers are great to find the limits of (and improve) your cornering ability.

Post up when & where you are going to practice and you might not have to be the only dork in spandex jumping on and off a bike in a field. Who knows, you might even start a revolution.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be the other jerk.
1. If you don't do any other weight bearing high intensity sports run-ups are worthwhile even though there isn't a lot of running in local courses.
2. Off cambers are great to find the limits of (and improve) your cornering ability.

Post up when & where you are going to practice and you might not have to be the only dork in spandex jumping on and off a bike in a field. Who knows, you might even start a revolution.

My thought is even if you're not hitting this stuff constantly, being at least a little prepared BEFORE hitting these things the first time in a race. A runup is a great place to lose time if you're flailing around with a bike on your shoulder, finding out you've got no traction, getting confused why your hand is all muddy, etc.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once you're feeling like you want to practice with other folks, there is a Weds Worlds practice in Clifton at Holster Park. Not in Denville, per se, but not terribly far.
Plus, there's no better way to get some good intensity going than race against other folks.

tbike

I've done Weds Word twice, my first two rides on a CX bike. If you were there 2 weeks ago I was the guy a half mile behind everyone else. I'm going to try and get there a few more times but with my work schedule/commute it's tough to make it.

sneekyjesus

I do intervals in Boonton Township at the RVA - Johanson Memorial Field soccer area. Not much off camber or hill there at all though. Bubblecross practice is great, focuses on all the specific parts of a race. The Tourne is annoying with dogs running around and their little mines spraying back up at you.

Top Bottom