Looking for a good router for home network

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doesn't work that way. Broadband is an amazing thing. Same cable is carrying all the TV stations too. They just provision more channels to interactive traffic

It totally works that way. Everyone's cable internet slows down at 5pm because everyone is on it after school/work. Cable isn't an unlimited pipe. By them opening up another SSID on your router, it just gives more opportunity for others to slow you down.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It totally works that way. Everyone's cable internet slows down at 5pm because everyone is on it after school/work. Cable isn't an unlimited pipe. By them opening up another SSID on your router, it just gives more opportunity for others to slow you down.

that is all traffic in the same collision domain, and not just the wire to one house.
they could run that on its own channels, and it would never be noticed at all. they don't but they could.

ChrisRU

Bump. I've been working on my home network. Locking things down that don't need internet access seems straight forward enough after hours of reading, cursing and resetting devices.

What are you guys doing to secure IoT devices that need internet access (e.g. smart TV, self monitored home sensors that send alerts)?

rlb

Bump. I've been working on my home network. Locking things down that don't need internet access seems straight forward enough after hours of reading, cursing and resetting devices.

What are you guys doing to secure IoT devices that need internet access (e.g. smart TV, self monitored home sensors that send alerts)?

I set up a VLAN with inter-lan routing disabled and assigned a separate SSID to that VLAN. My router also lets me assign the physical RJ45 ports to individual VLANs, so I have a few IOT hubs connected to my IOT vlan that way.

Right now my sonos is on the IOT vlan, but that means I need to switch my phone to IOT SSID to control it. It's on my to-do list to migrate the sonos to my primary SSID and set up a bunch of firewall rules to let it access only what it needs. Other than that it's all working great.

Top Bottom