Looking for a good router for home network

rlb

I'm rebuilding my home network with security in mind so I have a few requirements that are beyond the typical consumer grade router. I'm looking for a small business type router that supports the following:

required:
  1. Integrated firewall
  2. VLAN support with the ability to block inter-VLAN routing
  3. Multiple SSID support (at least 3)
  4. Can map VLANS to SSIDs
  5. Can map VLANS to ethernet ports
  6. >100 mbps throughput

Nice to have:
  1. gigabit ports
  2. ac wifi
  3. wifi 5 ghz support

I recently bought a Peplink Pepwave Surf SOHO which satisfies my requirements but I can't get it configured the way I want. It's behaving inconsistently (almost buggy) and tech support isn't being as helpful as I'd like. I have another week or so before the return period expires so I'm starting to look for something else.

Any suggestions?

hotsauce

I was almost interested for a sec since I'm building out a new network but this is way above what I'm looking for. I was just thinking Orbi vs eero vs Google Wifi.

ChrisRU

I have nothing to offer but I'm interested to hear where you end up. Securing up the home network is somewhere on my long list of things to do, particularly as I add more connected devices.

gtluke

The Moped
I bought a ASUS TM-AC1900 for $59, it's a T-Mobile reception repeater, but it has the same internals as an RT-AC68 for 1/3rd the price (if you can still find them). Then I flashed the AC68 firmware on it. Then I flashed DD-WRT on it and then it's an all powerful beast of a Router. I don't do vlans but I get a little crazy with the private VPN, while maintaining access to my home server while on mobile.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i split the router and the access point - then use a hub with built-in POE for cameras and access point(s)

currently using an older cisco gigabit business router RV042G - which has an https problem, which won't get fixed. . need to upgrade the access point to something with some speed - although i run everything
that doesn't move as a wired device.

rlb

@gtluke Are there any recent dd-wrt builds for it? I was looking for an updated build for my old wrt-54g and I was surprised to see that there hasn't been much since circa 2012

gtluke

The Moped
@gtluke Are there any recent dd-wrt builds for it? I was looking for an updated build for my old wrt-54g and I was surprised to see that there hasn't been much since circa 2012

really it's just that there have been no advancements in routing since then to warrant doing a new build I think.

rlb

i split the router and the access point - then use a hub with built-in POE for cameras and access point(s)

This was also a thought, though I'm trying to keep my cost down to $200. Also I only have a "barely better than average" understanding of networking so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. At this point I should just get the newspaper delivered to my house and be done with it.

rlb

really it's just that there have been no advancements in routing since then to warrant doing a new build I think.

There's got to be a security flaw or 2 in there that someone has exploited by now.

rlb

I have nothing to offer but I'm interested to hear where you end up. Securing up the home network is somewhere on my long list of things to do, particularly as I add more connected devices.

The peplink is nice and it does exactly what I want, so I hope to figure out the issues. I'll update this as I go along.

rlb

Last night I thought I was making progress on the Peplink router but I'm back to my initial problem. What's worse is the problem is sporadic so I have little faith left in this thing. It's a shame, because I spent the last week wasting my time with it and I wanted to like it because it has what I need.

Thinking of going with a buffalo wzr-600dhp which comes with dd-wrt pre installed. Also looks like you can flash open wrt so there are some options.

Being a Cisco guy, I would go with an ASA 5506W-X. If not ASA (enterprise), I'd be looking at something in the RV (small business) series.

You can compare the RV series devices here.
I was looking at some of the RV series (particularly the 215) but reviews seem mixed. The ASA stuff is way over my budget.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i use a Buffalo AirStation Extreme AC1750 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router (WZR-1750DHP) with DD-WRT on it found at the link below, works well for my purposes, the out of the box firmware supports multiple ssids (2 at least, not sure about 3) and was actually not terrible, i bought it to replace a 10/100mbps buffalo router when i was setting up my hdhomerunprime as if i had more than 1 stream coming out of it the streams got laggy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D69747O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Patrick

Staff member
Just realized - the comcast cable modem comes with a private and public hotspot (both 2.4 & 5 mhz) - so your wifi is taken care of.
it has some capabilities built in - i haven't messed with them yet. so it might just be dealing with a POE hub for your wired distribution.

(get a few ports with POE - eventually you will need them.) - i'm connected directly to the cable modem - you can see my old access point (agile)
and the public access through xfinitywifi (must have an xfinity account)

IMG_6639.PNG

on my iphone - it usually does better on the upload
IMG_6640.PNG

This is my wired nerework. (this is no joke, that is faster than a GB per minute)
6328121425.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb

Patrick

Staff member
Can you elaborate on why?

wired cameras, access points, and sensors (ie temp/humidity although these are good use of battery) - they can be powered without having an outlet nearby -
a good example would be the cable modem in the basement, with a hub - basement is a bad place for an access point,
so run a cat 5/6 run into a centrally located closet, hang access point on ceiling, no need for an outlet.

tpz cameras in drop ceilings are also a good use.

Patrick

Staff member
i should note that the wifi network i'm on is outside my router's firewall - i'm putting some trust in the cable modem here.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and the public access through xfinitywifi (must have an xfinity account

Isn't it kinda total bullshit that you're paying comcast 200 bucks a month, and they still take advantage of your connection and make it available to all their other customers, + some wifi aggregators customers?

Patrick

Staff member
Isn't it kinda total bullshit that you're paying comcast 200 bucks a month, and they still take advantage of your connection and make it available to all their other customers, + some wifi aggregators customers?

Doesn't work that way. Broadband is an amazing thing. Same cable is carrying all the TV stations too. They just provision more channels to interactive traffic

Top Bottom