Long Beach Island - Mountain bike options in reasonable driving distance

jimf

I am on LBI and there is only so much of the beach I can take. I managed to bring my bike this year and I am one block away from The Arlington so I have that going for me. I am planning on hitting Wharton tomorrow but did not want to wait until 9am for the park to open, are there alternative parking areas where I can be wheels down say by 6am? Outside of Wharton, what can I ride that is within reasonable driving distance, it looks pretty sparse from the research I did. Thanks in advance.

I am on LBI and there is only so much of the beach I can take. I managed to bring my bike this year and I am one block away from The Arlington so I have that going for me. I am planning on hitting Wharton tomorrow but did not want to wait until 9am for the park to open, are there alternative parking areas where I can be wheels down say by 6am? Outside of Wharton, what can I ride that is within reasonable driving distance, it looks pretty sparse from the research I did. Thanks in advance.

Wharton's trails and Wharton's Batsto Village parking lot are open dawn to dusk. Parking fees are collected 9:00 to 4:00 on the weekends, and sometimes weekdays.

Allaire State Park is a popular destination. Same w/ Estell Manor County Park. Wells Mills County Park is the shortest drive from LBI.

Last edited:
Wharton's trails and Wharton's Batsto Village parking lot are open dawn to dusk. Parking fees are collected 9:00 to 4:00 on the weekends, and sometimes weekdays.

Allaire State Park is a popular destination. Same w/ Estell Manor County Park. Wells Mills County Park is the shortest drive from LBI.

I parked at Batsto and found the trails no problem, looks like they do not bother with fees during the week. Fun little loop, I manged to find a rock but I am pretty sure it was put in for trail armor and not natural so I guess that does not count. Should I do this again or look to hit Wells Mills? The trails at Wharton were in good shape and very well maintained, might just do the larger loop tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

Jim

I parked at Batsto and found the trails no problem, looks like they do not bother with fees during the week. Fun little loop, I manged to find a rock but I am pretty sure it was put in for trail armor and not natural so I guess that does not count. Should I do this again or look to hit Wells Mills? The trails at Wharton were in good shape and very well maintained, might just do the larger loop tomorrow. Thanks for the response. Jim

I recommend visiting Batsto again. The blue Huckleberry Trail and the orange Penn Branch Trail are fun easy to follow loops.

Check out the posts in mtbnj >forums >trail talk >south jersey, for more info on the other locations. http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forums/south-jersey.15/

Back
Top Bottom