Lewis Morris Conditions

stilluf

Conditions were probably best of the year last night. That mud bog on lower yellow trail (clockwise out of tempe wick lot) is still really DEEP, but everything else was in really good shape. Of course, rain today......

NJ Gator

Any thoughts on the park’s conditions for tomorrow? Thinking Sunday should be great but not too sure if it would be rideable tomorrow. ANyone have any opinions?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any thoughts on the park’s conditions for tomorrow? Thinking Sunday should be great but not too sure if it would be rideable tomorrow. ANyone have any opinions?

It rained a lot overnight and this morning, so there will definitely be some mud tomorrow. I suspect there will still be a ton of people out pre-riding though, so I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Just back from walking my dogs on the north side of 24...everything is a swamp, there were ducks hanging out in one of the new ponds on patriots path.

Xler8

Considering it’s been raining pretty much all week in that area with downpours throughout, why would anyone think anything but swamp conditions would exist.

Superfly100guy

Just back from walking my dogs on the north side of 24...everything is a swamp, there were ducks hanging out in one of the new ponds on patriots path.
Patriots off Sussex must be flooded. I rode through that way last week and those low areas were over my BB. With that said I was in Lewis today and it was actually pretty good considering how much rain we've seen. Yes it has the usual mud turns and low lying mud sections but overall not bad. Place seems to drain well.

xc62701

Patriots off Sussex must be flooded. I rode through that way last week and those low areas were over my BB. With that said I was in Lewis today and it was actually pretty good considering how much rain we've seen. Yes it has the usual mud turns and low lying mud sections but overall not bad. Place seems to drain well.
Yes patriots was a lake today. The low areas are totally under water.

xc62701

I’m going to head over midday tomorrow to check it out. The positive side is that it’s been sunny and windy the second half of today and tomorrow should be nice - so that’s a plus.

johnnyrides

If you wait for the perfect day / conditions then that bike will get dusty. Go outside and play.

Wrong. Common sense after all this rain says stay off the trails for a few days. There’s no way it won’t be seriously muddy in a lot of areas after only one day of sun when that park is 95% shade. I understand there is a race there tomorrow but it should be rescheduled. The same people running it are likely the ones always rightfully pontificating to stay off muddy trails. We’ll see if they practice what they preach. One badly-timed race may set those trails back many days in damage.

xc62701

Lewis Morris is actually in great shape! There’s one low trail by one of the wooden bridges that’s a little crappy but the rest is decent. There are some usual wet spots but most will be avoidable or have a dry line probably by tomorrow morning. The race is gonna be a hoot!

Let me put my promoter hat on for a second here. Any promoter that is a cyclist does not want to ruin trails(There are always exceptions of course). They put in months worth of work for a single day event and pray that conditions are good. If not there is a moral decision to run a race(or not) knowing that there is a lot of time and money invested. There is also a contingency plan behind the scenes to repair trails that get damaged by a race. Most never know the amount of time and effort that goes on before and after an event like this. Don’t go saying that people don’t give a sh*t. That may be the case sometimes but I can assure you that it doesn’t happen locally.

goldsbar

Wrong. Common sense after all this rain says stay off the trails for a few days. There’s no way it won’t be seriously muddy in a lot of areas after only one day of sun when that park is 95% shade. I understand there is a race there tomorrow but it should be rescheduled. The same people running it are likely the ones always rightfully pontificating to stay off muddy trails. We’ll see if they practice what they preach. One badly-timed race may set those trails back many days in damage.

The trails were 95% dry during the race. Rain in the summer is much different than early spring and/or freeze thaw events. Though I know what you're saying...everyone claims to follow the "rules" unless *race* or *group ride* etc.

stilluf

Trails were mostly OK last night (though wetter than expected), with the mud bogs still prevalent on the trails off the tempe wick lot. Also, we saw a juvenile bear while riding on Patriot's Path. It ran away as soon as it saw us.

TPI_Elky

Rode last night around 4 with some cow-orkers. Way more mud patches than I would have expected, but it was two day s after a bad rain. Trails are getting wider and more worn down.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions