Lewis Morris Conditions

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
(i struggled riding them DOWNHILL, partly bc some dickhead cut a path straight down them threw the trees instead of following the trail).

I saw those lines through the switchbacks.....it's bad. It wasn't just bikers, either. There were boot and snowshoe tracks everywhere.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats true, the only place i actually fell over was when i caught one of the ruts these asshats left in the (old) snow (underneath the fresh covering) and pulled the front wheel out on me.

adogg

About 1/2 foot of snow in some places. Frozen top layer that non-plus tires go right through. Given the warmer temperatures and bright sun, it's probably a no go later today.

IMG_20180324_084027828.jpg

Last edited:

adogg

Maybe I don’t get it, but how on Earth is it desirable to ride on snow?
The best snow riding for me is when it's cold enough for the trail to be either completely dry or frozen and for snow to remain fluffy. Things appear to get very serene when snow is falling. Traction remains good with proper tires and when there is just few inches of snow. Today morning I happened to be passing through Lewis Morris park and was not equipped properly for any snow riding.

Hahaha... you have to enjoy the torture on a skinny bike...
Speaking of... I ventured out today for a road ride on my 29 rigid and still had a slick tire in rear since I use this bike occasionally on the trainer. Nonetheless, the slick tire provided no traction, even in spots that only had an inch of snow.

IMG_20180324_082538575.jpg

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Has anyone gone to LewMo yesterday or today? I'm planning to head there tomorrow AM and am deciding between skinny and fat tires. Thank you!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone gone to LewMo yesterday or today? I'm planning to head there tomorrow AM and am deciding between skinny and fat tires. Thank you!
I haven’t checked the trails this week but I can say my yard dried really quick after the snow yesterday. I live about 4 miles from the park.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
The trails were in surprisingly decent shape, a few puddle and soft spots but very rideable on any bike. There are a few blow downs but not too bad and a lot of sticks, moved a few out of the way at breaks.

mtnbiker371

I rode at Lewis Morris on Saturday 4/7. Remarkably dry, all things considered. Some large and small trees are down...but still rideable. Would certainly benefit from some chainsaw activity soon!

Goldjohn

Good to hear the positive reports. Hope to hit the south-of-24 portion of LM on Sat., 4/14 for the first time ever. (New e-bike, re-entering the sport at 57 after decades of only occasional road riding.) Did 20 mile loop last Sat. in Mendham and Chester area - Patriots Path, Black River WMA, etc. Lots of trees down and trail was a stream at some points, but what a blast. Don’t know why I waited so long. But thank goodness for Li-ion.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good to hear the positive reports. Hope to hit the south-of-24 portion of LM on Sat., 4/14 for the first time ever. (New e-bike, re-entering the sport at 57 after decades of only occasional road riding.) Did 20 mile loop last Sat. in Mendham and Chester area - Patriots Path, Black River WMA, etc. Lots of trees down and trail was a stream at some points, but what a blast. Don’t know why I waited so long. But thank goodness for Li-ion.
Should be nice and dry on Saturday after the upcoming warm temps. Might still be a handful of trees down, though.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was very dry last night, with the exception of the end of that short section to the left of the fire road as you head from Sunrise to Tempe Wick. I parked on the road at Tempe Wick cause the lot is still closed. I cut three trees that were blocking the trail. There are a few that need chainsaws though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions