Lewis Morris Conditions

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Went to Lewis Morris today, came in the from 287 through the Doe Meadow entrance. When we got to the restrooms area the road to Sunrise lake was shut/roped off to vehicle traffic. I looked on the Website and did not see any closures. We parked there and rode down to the trails. Anyone know what's up?

On another note, some soft spots and we came across a big tree down on the orange trail.

johnnyrides

Was there today as well. Good enough conditions and had a good ride......it's been a while so felt good. Usually park at the small Tempe Wick lot but that was closed too. Does anyone know is that closed until spring?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When we got to the restrooms area the road to Sunrise lake was shut/roped off to vehicle traffic.

It was like that a month ago when I rolled through there last. There was a sign that said "road closed to through traffic" or something like that which made me lol. I think @icebiker posted something about this a while ago, but I'm not sure. I would just park across the street in the dirt lot for now.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I was just there a week or so ago and Sunrise was open, this is very recent. I'm not referring the road that goes to Mendham rd, that's been blocked for a few months and is documented on Morris parks website.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just there a week or so ago and Sunrise was open, this is very recent. I'm not referring the road that goes to Mendham rd, that's been blocked for a few months and is documented on Morris parks website.

Oh, weird. I have no idea then.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure why the entrance on Mendham Rd is closed, but you can get to the lot from one of the other entrances. Or just park across the street down the road by the crosswalk. Tempe Wick lot.... :mad: Also closed. I parked across the street and just rode in yesterday. Was that you parked behind me @johnnyrides around 9:30-10:00am yesterday? Not sure why the lot is closed.

johnnyrides

Not sure why the entrance on Mendham Rd is closed, but you can get to the lot from one of the other entrances. Or just park across the street down the road by the crosswalk. Tempe Wick lot.... :mad: Also closed. I parked across the street and just rode in yesterday. Was that you parked behind me @johnnyrides around 9:30-10:00am yesterday? Not sure why the lot is closed.

I parked in the Doe Meadow lot at 12:00pm. Left about an hour later. There was a group of three on fat bikes (I think) that was there when I arrived and we lamented about the closed lots.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
That was us, my wife and I on fat bikes, my buddy on a 26er. That climb back up the road from Sunrise lake stunk after a couple of hours in the trails. I'm wondering if they had it closed for the hunting then the winds came and they left it until they could look into damage? There was a huge tree down on orange where we had a bit of hike-a-bike.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
That was us, my wife and I on fat bikes, my buddy on a 26er. That climb back up the road from Sunrise lake stunk after a couple of hours in the trails. I'm wondering if they had it closed for the hunting then the winds came and they left it until they could look into damage? There was a huge tree down on orange where we had a bit of hike-a-bike.

Anybody ride Lewis Morris today? Curious about conditions and if the road to Sunrise Lake from Doe Meadow lot is open/closed.
Thx!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there this morning.... Entrance to Sunrise off Mendham Road is still shut. Trails were frozen solid this morning..... Lots of bikes out.:thumbsup:

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
All I'm sorry I'm confusing this, the road from mendham road is closed and it's on the Morris parks website. It will be closed until the road pavement plants open in the spring and they repair per the mcp website. That is not what I am asking about. They tell you on the website to enter the park from the opposite side by Baileyshollow road which eventually winds up at the doe meadow lot. This lot has the public bathrooms and ball fields. From that lot there is s paved auto road down to the lake. That was open all year until we went last weekend. Then there was a rope with a closed by MCP sign. So we parked in Doe Meadow and rode down to the lake on bikes (climb back up stunk though on a fat bike) that's what I wanted to know if it was still closed.
Thanks!

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Road down to Sunrise lake was open today. I thought the trails were in good shape with minimal mud spots.

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Here's the 411 (consistent with @RSabarese 's post). Let me know if any further closures not consistent with this and I'll follow up.

http://m66.siteground.biz/~morrispa/index.php/home/

Go to "closures"

Lewis Morris County Park:
CONSTRUCTION ADVISORY – Beginning October 31, 2016, the Main Park Entrance/Road off Mendham Road will be closed for drainage and road improvement construction. Access to the park will be available via the Sugarloaf Road Entrance or the John Cunningham Parking Lot located on Mendham Road across the street from Sunrise Lake. The Off-leash Area/Dog Park will be Closed during construction. The Central Park of Morris County Off-leash/Dog Park is open.

It is anticipated that the final paving of the park road will be completed in the early Spring when the asphalt plants reopen.

Although the road looks drivable there are raised storm drains along the road which make for less than safe driving conditions and it would be more difficult to maintain the road during inclement winter conditions.

The Saturn Playground located by the Doe Meadow picnic area is closed for renovation.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions