Lewis Morris Conditions

aedubber

Yea i called in and the lady said LM is pretty bad .. Sucks cuz i usually ride here on my hardtail . I wanted to take a spin today :mad:

p9group

Is it 'officially' open? I have no doubt that the rangers there at the park
could have either mis-communicated or not communicated with the office
and so maybe they are not on the same page.

If the parking lot is open, it sounds like they are allowing usage.

crash

The gate to the access road was open and I drove up the dirt road and parked in the lot. That all seemed pretty inviting to me.

However, Tempe Wick Road is closed from Kennedy Road to Cherry Lane.

goldsbar

Not LM but close - Patriots Path from Mendham to LM is a disaster. It's rideable and all but it's no longer a smooth crushed gravel trail. One bridge is completely missing - vanished. Used to be a fun little 1.5' jump. I've seen storms damage this trail before but this is by far the worst. Sort of like 5 years of damange in 1 day. Certain parts had weird trenches. This is probably far worse than LM as there's a big stream next to the trail that overflows at least once per year.

I'm sure LM needs someone to walk the park with a chainsaw.

DonBito

patriots path is very erroded, there are many trees still down and one of the wood bridges was completely washed out same as on some parts close to the streams.
Lewis Morris is in ok shape. Some small trees down trough out the trails but the bad one is right at the rollercoaster. Theres a huuuge tree blocking it but i saw someone allready made a detour arround it. Verry muddy detour in deed.

wingers

I rode part of Patriots Path on Sunday. I Agree there were a few washouts but passable. A lot of the gravel pack has been washed away and simply a hard pack clay base. It will take some time to restore this path.
The paved section from Sussex turnpike was good. But I did not go all the way to Speedwell Lake. Road most of this section with my son on the Trail-A-Bike.
The Blue secondary connector was not as good between Sussex and Washington Valley. A downed tree and some branches recently moved off the trail. This section was manageable though.:hmmm:

joeschaar

As of this AM, LM was NOT listed as closed but with the rain we should stay off the trails for a while.

FYI Morris parks Phone: (973) 326-7600

DonBito

Just came back from LM and conditions are OK. Some water and usual mud pits but all fun. Ill say good/ok!;)

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I rode Lew Mo and Patriot's Path today, from Sussex Pike out to the second stream crossing (Roxiticus Road) and in Lew Mo rode all the trails. Here's the situation:

Lew Mo: Ground is surprisingly firm. Some wet areas on Green, and few of the usual muddy spots here and there, but very ridable. I dug some drainage channels in the major wet sections to help things along.

Just watch out for sticks/branches, there's a fair amount of trail debris. THe major (unridable) blowdowns have been cut through. There are a few smaller blowdowns on western Yellow trail, about mid-way along. They are easily ridden over. Hope to get the park guys on those soon (though I'm kinda liking them :D)

Patriots Path. Ok from Sussex to Lew Mo (main trail, not Gilligans....Gilligans had a number of blowdowns BEFORE Irene, so it's likely still a mess). From Lew Mo heading west, ground is OK, but:
a) LOT of erosion on the section between Tingley Road and Brookside.
b) Major tree down at the trail junction just before the short steep hill in Brookside (can walk through/over it tho)
c) the small bridge just past the Mendham Police station is gone...nowwhere to be seen. But the stream crossing is rideable.
d) the small bridge further out (between the nursing home and the ice skating pond) is gone. Washed about 30 yards downstream, broken up. Stream crossing is not rideable, but you can (gingerly) hike a bike on the rocks in the stream.
e) the second stream crossing (near Roxiticus) is raging....the stepping stones are submerged and/or toppled over.

mtnbiker5

Lm

Rode yesterday am. I've seen worse. If anything all the trees down along with streams overflowed its pretty cool to see everything. Whoever was chainsawing the tree down by the end of the race course, thank you. If I had my saw I would have helped more. That place always drains pretty well. By mid week if no rain we should be fine. Ran over a snake I though was a log thats how big it was. I'm still mentally trying to recover from that one. Some huge black water snake near the stream at the end.

bigW

Not bad conditions overall. Some mud and leaves starting to come down otherwise OK.

argyle

Not bad conditions overall. Some mud and leaves starting to come down otherwise OK.

I headed out there today for a leisurely loop. Ugh, leaves. Really had to keep the speed down in the turns for fear of side-slippin. Add in the mud bogs and well…it's just that time of the year.

aedubber

Was out riding today, good weather, trails seem fine but watch out for the leafs everywhere and it being slick underneath . Had my front end wash out on me a little bit and made me slam my hand into a tree lol , took a nice piece of meat off my finger :cool:

mcim29

Anyone been to LM since the snow storm? I was thinking about heading there sometime tomorrow afternoon...

crash

I usually park in the south lot, off of Tempe Wick road, but it the road is closed due to storm. Cherry Lane and Hardscrabble road also have pretty treacherous driving conditions.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions