Left Crank Arm

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My 2012 Salsa Horsethief came with a SRAM S1000 GXP crankset. I destroyed the left crank arm and need a replacement. It's a 175 mm crank, but it doesn't look like I can buy it anywhere online. Is there something compatible (maybe under the Truvativ brand) that I can buy to replace it? Or does anyone have a used one lying around? Preferably scratched, beat up, and cheap.

My pedal started to come loose about six months ago and I didn't realize it. I stomped down on it while riding and it bent at an angle and ripped some threads. I was able to straighten it out and force it back in on the trail, but it is obviously only going to last so long at that point. I kept checking it to make sure it was tight every so often, but it came loose again two days ago while riding. I again tightened it down but presumably damaged some more threads in the process. I went for a ride on it yesterday anyway hoping it would hold, but same thing and now all threads are gone.

Lol, these particular pedals weren't really that cheap, but I guess that's an option. Fixing it with a helicoil also sounds plausible, although probably not cost effective.

is it the reverse thread size? If so then you're probably F'd for doing it on the cheap. Wonder if anyone makes a crank repair kit? Tapping aluminum for a threadsert is pretty easy but I wouldn't take those pedals off very often if it has a thread repair kit in it.

It's the left pedal, so it is reverse threaded. I think I'd rather just buy a replacement crank arm instead of fixing this one, but it doesn't look like I can buy the SRAM version. I was hoping to just buy a cheaper alternative, even if it's not exactly the same.

That's kind of what I was hoping, but wasn't sure if they were interchangeable like that. I just realized that my SS has Stylo GXP cranks, so if I'm not lazy I can test it out and see if it works. It seems everyone online is selling that left hand crank for $40, although it looks like I can go the ebay route and get it for $33.

I think they may be the same, I doubt SRAM would re-engineer the interface but I'm not sure. It would be great if you did try that you could report back? I have a bunch of Truvativ cranks in case mine goes south as well.

Will do. I'll ride the SS tomorrow morning and then try this tomorrow afternoon or Sunday while it is raining out.

That's cool, but I don't need technology to tell me I suck :p

So I ended up fixing this today after work. I didn't ride it yet, but the Stylo GXP crank from my SS looks like it will work perfectly fine. The interface was the same and the shape of the arm itself appears identical. Not surprising since SRAM owns Truvativ I guess. So now I just have to buy a replacement Stylo arm for the SS on ebay.

I was pretty sure it would be good, but thanks for the confirmation! A lot of messages on the other boards of folks having issues with the GXP BB/crank interface. I have found ample greasing of the splines, then cleaning the bolt interface before using Loctite and torqueing to spec works well. I double check it for a ride or two after installation and re-torque as required. I have several FireX cranks, some that have many many miles and are still nice and tight on the spline.

Back
Top Bottom