LBS to have wheels built?

Mic360

Any recommendations on a shop that I can have a set of wheels built at? Morris or Essex county preferred but willing to drive if its worth it. Also I have the rims and hubs, just need spokes and labor any idea what im looking at paying? Never had wheels built so im just curious. I had a bad shop experience last year that left a bad taste in my mouth and really dont know enough to be able to make sure im not getting ripped off.

Pampa

Well, not that he needs any more recommendations but if there's still any doubts, @jimvreeland build two wheelsets for me. Both exactly how I wanted them (taking into account his valuable advice) in terms of strength, weight, reliability (and looks too). One was for a long bikepacking race. I did almost 1,300 miles on that wheelset with a 60 lb bike on ST and rattling gravel roads and they stayed absolutely true and trouble-free. After that I used them some more and then sold them on Bikepacking.net at a decent price without even have to truing them.

The second one was for my fatbike. Again I abused these and the most I was able to do was to chip a front rim. I had 30 lb worth of dumbells and weights taped to the frame and forgot to put more pressure on the tires. When plowed through a rock garden the hit when the front wheel bottom out went through my bones, but the wheel stayed absolutely true and trouble-free. I continued to use it for a good while and also sold it recently in good working condition. In fact, I sold my fatbike because it had that wheelset :)

For me Summit was a trek but it was well worth it.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is his company that he just started and built me a set with project 321 hubs. His full time gig is at a shop.
Yes move to Colorado and die happy.
Happy for him. You know where Colin settled down?

Top Bottom