large chainring for winter/indoor training

bucknejo

So I bought a road bike over the winter to ride on an indoor trainer and well, now it will sit in my basement all spring/summer/fall while I'm out in the woods.

I'd rather not have it sit here, but I don't know how I'd get a workout over the winter if I set up my mtb on the trainer given that the resistance for a small chainring wouldn't be that great.

I'm thinking I could get a larger chainring or a triple crankset or something just for the winter, but not sure I want to go down this road unless I know it's a winning strategy.

Anyone fit their mtb with a larger ring for winter training indoors? If so, what's the best way to do so? I'm looking at a 1 x 10 XT setup right now on possibly a giant xtc advanced.

im dealing with this right now. I'm just sticking my old trek 4500 21speed on there and hoping that works. had to buy a slick tire for it as well, but i had no trouble fitting it into a used fluid trainer i bought off ebay.

with that being said, i have no idea what i should be doing on the thing. not sure if i should attempt intervals on it, or just do long sustained rides.

If you have speed and cadence sensors, you can use TrainerRoad, The Sufferfest App, or Zwift. The first two have training plans that are easy to follow, and Zwift might also.

If you have speed and cadence sensors, you can use TrainerRoad, The Sufferfest App, or Zwift. The first two have training plans that are easy to follow, and Zwift might also.
i bought a speed/cadence sensor and did my first trainerroad workout today. I like they have some mtb specific stuff, but it seems like a lot of time on a trainer vs. spending time on the trail if you follow a specific program. Even the low volume program puts you on the trainer for 3.5hrs a week. on top of the outdoor riding i do and other workouts, that would be nuts.

i bought a speed/cadence sensor and did my first trainerroad workout today. I like they have some mtb specific stuff, but it seems like a lot of time on a trainer vs. spending time on the trail if you follow a specific program. Even the low volume program puts you on the trainer for 3.5hrs a week. on top of the outdoor riding i do and other workouts, that would be nuts.

Yeah... You need to balance it with outdoor rides. I use TrainerRoad for CX season. Early morning workouts, before work. Like 4:45am wakeup type early.... :dead:

Yeah... You need to balance it with outdoor rides. I use TrainerRoad for CX season. Early morning workouts, before work. Like 4:45am wakeup type early.... :dead:
yea..im going to do some of that. i'd like to do some shortrack racing someday, but it seems tough to get into.

do you have a smart trainer?

yea..im going to do some of that. i'd like to do some shortrack racing someday, but it seems tough to get into.

do you have a smart trainer?

Short Track tough to get into? Nah, not at all. Just register and go!

No smart trainer for me. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine + Garmin speed/cadence and HRM + ANt stick/dongle for laptop/iPad (can use either one with TR).

Short Track tough to get into? Nah, not at all. Just register and go!

No smart trainer for me. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine + Garmin speed/cadence and HRM + ANt stick/dongle for laptop/iPad (can use either one with TR).
ok - thats a very similar setup as to what I have. It might make sense for me to look for an old road bike just for the trainer.

well i didnt know how to find the races at all, and i thought you needed specific equipment/skills for some reason. but i just watchd some youtube videos and it doesnt seem out of my skillset. maybe ill give the lewis morris challenge a shot in Cat 3 just to see where im at.

ok - thats a very similar setup as to what I have. It might make sense for me to look for an old road bike just for the trainer.

well i didnt know how to find the races at all, and i thought you needed specific equipment/skills for some reason. but i just watchd some youtube videos and it doesnt seem out of my skillset. maybe ill give the lewis morris challenge a shot in Cat 3 just to see where im at.

I have the road bike set up on trainer...

Lewis Morris Challenge! Yes, do it.

Back
Top Bottom