Land of the rising sun

qclabrat

my Japan trip just got thrown back in the schedule and I'm leaving in less than two weeks. Has anyone done any riding over there? Places I'm planning to ride at are Tokyo, Kyoto and Mt Fuji. If I weren't working, I'd ride to Mt Fuji from Tokyo, which is just under 120 miles then hike to the summit about 12K Ft. So instead planning to stay at a neighboring city, ride 30 miles up hill to the 5th station (half way) then go the rest of the way by foot. My conservative estimate is that this will take 12-14 hrs depending whether there is ice on the upper stations. Some have carried their mtbs up to the summit and rode down, but no one says it was worth it afterwards.

I'll keep this thread going with my prep and plans, but please chime in if you've either ridden in Japan or been to Mt Fuji for much needed pointers.

Mumonkan

i recently watched a video of some guys searching for trails and they went to japan and found these incredible twisty chutes that looked insanely fast

maybe i can troll thru youtube history for it

qclabrat

[GALLERY=media, 72]Llama by qclabrat posted Mar 27, 2015 at 10:08 PM[/GALLERY]
some of you have seen my Bike Friday Pocket Llama, it's marketed as a packable mountain bike, but is really more of a gravel trail. It originally came with t-bars but I converted to drops a few years back while planning for a solo ride around Lake Tai in China which never happened.
Last March I had a business trip to Singapore so converted it to off road use for some bike parks I had wanted to ride again. changed it to an on-one fleegle bar, XT shifters, mtb triple crank and meaty two inch Maxxis tires. Unfortunately that trip was cancelled, so worked stopped on the bike since late February. Now back again, but with my recent back and neck issues I'm going to keep the same cockpit but undecided on the tires. Basically need to make sure this bike fits in the red suitcase.
WP_20160530_17_20_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20160530_17_20_30_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
[GALLERY=media, 72]Llama by qclabrat posted Mar 27, 2015 at 10:08 PM[/GALLERY]
some of you have seen my Bike Friday Pocket Llama, it's marketed as a packable mountain bike, but is really more of a gravel trail. It originally came with t-bars but I converted to drops a few years back while planning for a solo ride around Lake Tai in China which never happened.
Last March I had a business trip to Singapore so converted it to off road use for some bike parks I had wanted to ride again. changed it to an on-one fleegle bar, XT shifters, mtb triple crank and meaty two inch Maxxis tires. Unfortunately that trip was cancelled, so worked stopped on the bike since late February. Now back again, but with my recent back and neck issues I'm going to keep the same cockpit but undecided on the tires. Basically need to make sure this bike fits in the red suitcase.View attachment 36073 View attachment 36074

For the life of me I can't figure out why I like this bike so much.... But I DO!

Here's to a fun and hopefully pain free adventure. :)

rick81721

Lothar
Been to Japan twice for work (pre-riding) and didn't visit Mt. Fuji so no help there. Interesting place tho - in the cities everyone rides bikes to work - funny seeing guys in suits riding bikes with one hand and holding an umbrella over their head with the other in pouring rain. Great food too.

One suggestion, with back/neck issues, I would rent a full suspension mtb there rather than bringing that folding bike. Prolly get hammered on baggage fees too

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
While taking a bike you know if great, you would probably be much happier riding up Mt Fuji on a regular bike. Are there options to rent?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just returned from JP last week. No riding unfortunately.

It's been over 20 years since I climbed Fuji but my recollection is that the upper portion is comprised of almost entirely death marble lava rocks and scree. Not something I'd ever consider riding for pleasure. There are so many great little mountain roads I'd rather ride in Japan. The climb up Fuji is worth doing if only to know that you've been to the top whenever you see a picture or watch it pass by from your window seat on the Shinkansen.

qclabrat

Just returned from JP last week. No riding unfortunately.

It's been over 20 years since I climbed Fuji but my recollection is that the upper portion is comprised of almost entirely death marble lava rocks and scree. Not something I'd ever consider riding for pleasure. There are so many great little mountain roads I'd rather ride in Japan. The climb up Fuji is worth doing if only to know that you've been to the top whenever you see a picture or watch it pass by from your window seat on the Shinkansen.
yes after the 5th station, above the tree line, it's all rocks and rubble
MtFuji-27JUN04-42.JPG

some crazy Americans carried their FullS bike up and road down a few years ago, did not look fun...
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/J-MtFuji.htm

qclabrat

While taking a bike you know if great, you would probably be much happier riding up Mt Fuji on a regular bike. Are there options to rent?
true, but I have the bike anyway and I'm stubborn and cheap
Here's writeup on one of the climbs, but I'm starting from town so will be longer than the maps
http://theclimbingcyclist.com/guest-post-the-brutal-mt-fuji-and-the-tour-of-japan/
toj2012_4-7906-580x385.jpg

Been to Japan twice for work (pre-riding) and didn't visit Mt. Fuji so no help there. Interesting place tho - in the cities everyone rides bikes to work - funny seeing guys in suits riding bikes with one hand and holding an umbrella over their head with the other in pouring rain. Great food too.

One suggestion, with back/neck issues, I would rent a full suspension mtb there rather than bringing that folding bike. Prolly get hammered on baggage fees too
will mostly be on the road, to station 5, so the a FS is surely overkill

qclabrat

besides packing tools, what's recommended to keep a stash if far from home?
here's what I came up with:
- extra cables (shift and brake)
- chain (at least a few extra links)
- inner tubes (two?)
- something for cuts in sidewalls (will Gorilla tape do?)

any other must have supplies?, I need to travel light, so extra links instead of a full chain

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The good thing about Japan is there are bike everywhere so finding a jitenshaya should never be difficult. Folding bikes are very common there so it may be even easier to find replacement 20" tires than in the USA should the need arise.
Add to your list:
1) Rain coat. Rainy season is coming soon
2) Wireless Data Plan for using Google Maps when you get lost and need to take the train home. Take an old unlocked iphone or andriod phone and get this: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/ $20 for all you can eat data good for 14 days. Have it shipped directly to your hotel and pick up on arrival.

Mumonkan

protip: download the areas youll be using on google maps ahead of time, no data necessary gps will still work

couldnt find that video tho, its lost in the ether

qclabrat

The good thing about Japan is there are bike everywhere so finding a jitenshaya should never be difficult. Folding bikes are very common there so it may be even easier to find replacement 20" tires than in the USA should the need arise.
Add to your list:
1) Rain coat. Rainy season is coming soon
2) Wireless Data Plan for using Google Maps when you get lost and need to take the train home. Take an old unlocked iphone or andriod phone and get this: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/ $20 for all you can eat data good for 14 days. Have it shipped directly to your hotel and pick up on arrival.

that's a pretty good deal, I'm on T-mobile where the data and texting plan is same worldwide, only calls are 0.20 a minute in Asia

qclabrat

finished the bike rebuild and had a test run at Chimney today. Here are a few pics. A bit squirrelly and was not easy staying on line in rocky sections. However, surprisingly good at log overs, but with the small tires a 4 inch rock can cause an endo. The Capreo hub climbs well despite the tiny gearing. Though the missing front tire takes some getting used to, initially hard not to look down. Packed easily in the suitcase with room to spare.
WP_20160612_19_59_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20160612_20_00_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20160612_19_59_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20160612_20_38_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20160612_23_40_53_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

qclabrat

is there a comparable climb in NJ as the one on Mt Fuji?
The rough stats are 15 miles with 4100 vertical elevation. Also the average grade is 5.2%, max 7.8%.
I'm thinking I'll need to do the ride and climb on two days, unless I decide to camp. But then I'll need to rent a tent and bag.

course_map_M.gif

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The rough stats are 15 miles with 4100 vertical elevation. Also the average grade is 5.2%, max 7.8%.
I'm thinking I'll need to do the ride and climb on two days, unless I decide to camp. But then I'll need to rent a tent and bag.

course_map_M.gif
Nothing even remotely close to that in NJ or PA. You could do hill repeats if it suited you fancy. Probably no reason to do it in two days, just start early.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

course_map_M.gif
Bear Mt. Lodge to Perkins 4ish times.

qclabrat

Nothing even remotely close to that in NJ or PA. You could do hill repeats if it suited you fancy. Probably no reason to do it in two days, just start early.
considering, but the second weekend jetlag really gets to me, I'm always amazed at how athletes can compete at all hours of the day. Especially runners and riders where there really isn't a local season like the big 4 sports over here.

Top Bottom